Got my new F/A-18 grip today!

streakeagle

Per the title, I received my new Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick grip today. I love it. The only problem is that I had to remove my VKB MCG Pro stick to try it out. Even if the adapter VKB sells would work, I think this grip is way too heavy for the MCG Pro, especially with the stick extension installed.

The look/feel/functionality of the grip is as good as I could hope. The problem is using the Warthog stick/gimbal after having flown with the VKB stick for so long. It is a very big difference in the feel, particularly near the center where the stick is stiffer and more clunky.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Congrats !!! Waiting patiently for mine.

OS:Win10 64bit*/MB: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING / HD:SSD

CPU Type: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3700Mhz / Ram:32Gb DDR4

Mon: Dell AW3418DW LCD + 3 x CUBESIM displays.

Hotas : TM Warthog #4347 | #80897 | TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick / TM Pendular Rudder / Cougar MFDs / Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC / Elgato Stream Decks / Virpil T50-CM2 Base and Grip / Winwing Super Taurus | PCR | PTO / Monstechtech Desk Mounts 

The look/feel/functionality of the grip is as good as I could hope. The problem is using the Warthog stick/gimbal after having flown with the VKB stick for so long. It is a very big difference in the fell, particularly near the center where the stick is stiffer and more clunky.

That’s why you should mod the springs to get rid of the center stiffness. It won’t affect stiction if you have it though.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Got mine yesterday. I like it. It is heavier than the Warthog stick but I actually like it better. I feel the buttons are better. It will take me sometime to get used to it because it is a different feel than the Warthog as well...

I received mine, too. Unfortunately I won't be able to open the box until later tonight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

Mine is being delivered on Monday! Excited!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Per the title, I received my new Thrustmaster F/A-18 stick grip today. I love it. The only problem is that I had to remove my VKB MCG Pro stick to try it out. Even if the adapter VKB sells would work, I think this grip is way too heavy for the MCG Pro, especially with the stick extension installed.

The look/feel/functionality of the grip is as good as I could hope. The problem is using the Warthog stick/gimbal after having flown with the VKB stick for so long. It is a very big difference in the fell, particularly near the center where the stick is stiffer and more clunky.

Was the only reason I cancelled my VKB order and kept the VPC order — much stronger springs to hold up to the Warthog (and now Hornet) grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Got my new F/A-18 grip today!

Amazon still hasn’t shipped mine, oh well was hoping to play with it this weekend. It is hard to imagine anything heavier than the Warthog grip since that thing is like a brick—and I love it.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Got mine today, but button 9 on the middle hat switch is not working.

Open the windows joystick control panel and work the hat switch in all directions for a while and see if it starts working. My sensor select depress didn't work either until I started moving the switch around while it was depressed. I haven't opened it up but I wonder if there's a bunch of grease on the switches or something.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

You likely already know this Buckeye but the VKB GF can be modded to be incredibly stiff. I am doing a write up on it and installed some custom springs (call them VKB #100s) and basically made the stick into a weight room exercise just to see how it did (it did fine with nothing bent or prematurely worn). In stock form, the original T-50 and Warbird bases are stiffer than the VKB GF but the GF base is the better made unit IMHO. Have not had a chance to precure a T-50CM2 base yet.

While my VKB is removed, I did some maintenance. While I had the base open, I doubled up the 50 lb springs. I won't be installing and testing it any time soon, but it definitely feels a little stiffer. I am not sure when I am going to reinstall it and try it out because I am enjoying the F/A-18 grip.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haven't touched my VKB set in awhile, since now it is becoming less versatile especially with the new grips from Realsimulator and Thrustmaster, and upcoming F14 grip from Virpil. Everyone else is using common connectors (TM, Realsim, Virpil, Brunner) which means grips/bases are interchangeable. It's too bad because I still have 3 grips from them. It's going to be hard competing against standards.

You lucky lucky so and so’s. Mine is still showing in transit for delivery tomorrow. The only day I’m out all blooming day Sod’s law.

Really can’t wait to use it mind you, i already enjoy the hornet, and I’m sure this will addd to that enjoyment

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Open the windows joystick control panel and work the hat switch in all directions for a while and see if it starts working. My sensor select depress didn't work either until I started moving the switch around while it was depressed. I haven't opened it up but I wonder if there's a bunch of grease on the switches or something.

Did that already, no luck. Button 9, or down on the middle hat doesn't even make the click sound when it is pushed downward.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Purchased yesterday. Will be there by week end !

Hope it will work on my virpil base

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Just got mine! Although I haven't actually tried it in DCS yet, I think it's going to be a non-starter for me. The reason is that I use the front lever as a mofifier on my Warthog stick in all modules and use many standard controls for various things like lever+trim up for F10 map, lever+trim right for external view, etc. etc. Effectively this double up the number of controls that can be mapped to the HOTAS.

Now, with the Hornet stick this is not going to be possible as the paddle switch is way too short to hold it AND press the trim hat comfortably. Obviously, it depends on your hand size, but mine are not small!

Giong to press on and try it in action, and I'll report back.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Purchased yesterday. Will be there by week end !

Hope it will work on my virpil base

I have the TM F-18 grip on my Virpil T-50 Base, .. and it works just fine.

Just remember to Create a New Profile, .. and select the TM Warthog/TM F18, .. as your grip.

Cheers

Tom

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win

My grip came in today. Someone here said it is heavier than the Warthog grip, but nope, it is just bulkier and weighs slightly less--still feels like a brick nonetheless. I like how the 4/5 way switches now click when you press them giving extra tactile feedback (no click on the Warthog--Realsim's F-16 grip also clicks like this).

Only tested with Virpil's WarBRD base so far, had to make a new profile that specify the base and grip names and then recalibrated the device. The paddle switch is shorter than the Warthog, but I have no issues with operation so far.

In terms of look and feel, TM nails it imo. This thing looks premium and sure is on the expensive side. I'll just have to get used to it more since the shaft is quite thick compared to other sticks.

Edited by Supmua

Just got mine and there's no TARGET button mapping. Unless I'm missing something. I tested with a simple profile and it just gives the native DX button presses.

What a piece of shit.

Target should work exactly as it does with the Warthog grip. Wrong, corrected below: The buttons may be arranged differently and the graphical representation will therefore be confusing, but you should be able to use target with the F/A-18 without any other issues.

I don't use Target with DCS World. But most of the buttons/hats on the F/A-18 grip directly correspond to buttons/hats on the Warthog grip. I have only needed to make a few changes to my previously saved Warthog mappings to make the F/A-18 grip work. I can't imagine it would be much different in Target.

Correction: Target includes a graphic representation of the F/A-18 grip... no problems at all using the latest Target with the F/A-18 grip.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]