Got my new F/A-18 grip today!

streakeagle

It doesn't work with the TARGET Script Editor. There's no way to assign keyboard presses to buttons.

Very disappointed in this release.

So this script doesn't work mapping spacebar to S2?

include "target.tmh"

int main()

{

Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&T16000L, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TFRPRudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TWCSThrottle, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TFRPHARudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

SetKBRate(32, 50);

SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);

SetShiftButton(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapKeyIOUMD(&JoystickF18, S2, PULSE+SPC, PULSE+SPC, PULSE+SPC, PULSE+SPC, PULSE+SPC, PULSE+SPC);

MapAxis(&JoystickF18, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&JoystickF18, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&JoystickF18, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&JoystickF18, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, DX_ZROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, DX_SLIDER_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

}

int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)

{

DefaultMapping(&o, x);

}

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need to update TARGET then, because it certainly does work. Also if you're on windows 10, ensure you set the .exe in the TM to run as admin, and kill the Microsoft Store from the Task Manager.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

To get the Target Script Editor working correctly with the F/A-18 grip,

1) Make sure you have the latest Target installed (mine says 3.0.18.328).

2) Make sure the correct firmware installed in the stick (mine is updated to V12 13/11/2017).

3) Delete your stick from your device list.

4) Unplug your stick and plug it back in (it may take awhile or hang, in which case you can unplug it again).

5) If you want to be extra careful, you can reboot the PC but that shouldn't be necessary.

6) Open the Target GUI and make sure the stick shows up as an F/A-18 grip instead of the Warthog grip: both images will be listed, but the one that says "connected" is the one it sees.

7) Create an advanced profile with the devices you want to use.

8 ) Map a key to one of the buttons to provide sample code.

9) Copy the script from the gui profile.

10) Close the GUI.

11) Open the Target Script Editor.

12) Create a new script.

13) Paste the sample template from the GUI.

14) Compile and test the sample template.

15) Edit to your heart's content to map keys to buttons, because it can and does work if you jump through all the hoops correctly.

This script works perfectly on my PC mapping the "a" key to button 2:

include "target.tmh"

int main()

{

Configure(&HCougar, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&T16000, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&T16000L, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&LMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&RMFD, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TFRPRudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TWCSThrottle, MODE_EXCLUDED);

Configure(&TFRPHARudder, MODE_EXCLUDED);

if(Init(&EventHandle)) return 1;

SetKBRate(32, 50);

SetKBLayout(KB_ENG);

SetShiftButton(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapKeyIOUMD(&JoystickF18, S2, PULSE+'a', PULSE+'a', PULSE+'a', PULSE+'a', PULSE+'a', PULSE+'a');

MapAxis(&JoystickF18, JOYX, DX_X_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&JoystickF18, JOYX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&JoystickF18, JOYY, DX_Y_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&JoystickF18, JOYY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCX, DX_XROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCX, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, SCY, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, DX_Z_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, DX_ZROT_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

MapAxis(&Throttle, THR_FC, DX_SLIDER_AXIS, AXIS_NORMAL, MAP_ABSOLUTE);

SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_FC, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);

}

int EventHandle(int type, alias o, int x)

{

DefaultMapping(&o, x);

}

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the TM F-18 grip on my Virpil T-50 Base, .. and it works just fine.

Just remember to Create a New Profile, .. and select the TM Warthog/TM F18, .. as your grip.

Cheers

Tom

I don't think you even need to make a new grip profile. As I change grips regularly according to aircraft, I have a single profile for the Mogoos grip (which has the most buttons) and so far all other grips, including the F/A-18 grip, work just fine on the one profile.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

OK, so after a good few hours with the Hornet stick, here are my thoughts so far. Obviously, this is based on my hand size only!

Pros:

- Very comfortable in normal flight. Hand sits comfortably, and thumb has somewhere decent to sit whereas it didn’t on the Warthog. Seems ergonomically much better.

- Lighter at 800gms compared to Warthog 1kg.

- Better balanced somehow. Longer and easier to hold stable in bombing and rocket runs. I think the use of some kind of resin/plastic at the top and metal further down helps to achieve this.

- Sensor select has a very positive feel with clicks when moving positions.

- Weapon select switch is also really positive with obvious clicks and good movement.

- Build quality seems really good to me

- 2nd détente on the trigger is very obvious and requires a reasonable effort to push it in all the way. This is way better than the Warthog as it doesn’t require much effort and is quite soft.

- The new 2-way with press switch is really useful, and I have that bound to cage/uncage, TDC depress.

Cons:

- Very short paddle which makes it’s use as a lever – which I do - in combination with POV bindings next to impossible although this is easily worked around by rebinding to coolie switch on the throttle.

- In use, you really have to move hands into 2 positions really. Warthog is more ‘snug’ and all controls and movements could be done without changing hand position. Hornet – as it is taller and wider – requires a slight adjustment to the hand position when using the lower controls (paddle, undesignated, etc.) or the upper ones (weapon release, trim, etc.). Now, this isn’t a problem, but it does require getting used to after years of the Warthog!

- Again, not a problem, but the weapon select takes a little bit of getting used to as well as it is rotated more than the Warthog CMS switch in the same position.

- Undesignate (pinky) button is, for me, almost impossible to use with the pinky, but I use the ‘ring’ finger, and that works fine.

One of the big issues is, do I use this stick for all modules, or do I interchange it with the Warthog for some modules, e.g. A-10C (obviously!)? Although some of the buttons are the same number on the 2 sticks, a lot are not, and that causes obvious issues. I haven’t even tried putting the Warthog stick back in and see if the A-10C module still retains the original bindings. It’s a pity that DCS doesn’t create a separate device for the Hornet stick, but I guess that’s because it’s the base that’s the thing.

Out of DCS is another issue, with Warthog TARGET scripts for other games, e.g. Elite Dangerous, that clearly won’t work with the Hornet stick. That requires swapping the sticks, and I’m not sure what effect that will have long term on the base and stick sockets.

So, I have had to rebind a whole load of stuff – F views, kneeboard functions, etc. - as I used the paddle as a modifier, but I have got used to them now.

The more I use the stick - and get out of Warthog habits! – the more I like it!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I really like mine so far, and compared to an army of joysticks that I have, in terms of look and feel this is right up there with the best and that also includes the excellent F-16SGRH grip from Realsim. It is a great piece of replica. I like the thicker metal shaft, which makes it feel more comfortable to use. The buttons and switches are a step above the Warthog grip for sure--they feel better, they click better, and they provide more tactile feedback during use.

I find the Undesignate button to be in the perfect spot for my ring finger and only use my pinky for the paddle switch, these are in such a position that I could easily operate both at the same time (hard to do on the Warthog). Weapon release switch is a bit harder to reach but it is just a matter of wrist extension, something I'll get used to.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I posted this in another forum.

I got my grip yesterday it has now officially replaced my Virpil T-50CM2. It is connected to the Brunner base and for the first time makes that base come alive. After 1 or 2 hrs total flying time what I like the most is the weight of the grip, it feels very natural and meaty in my hand and it's the first grip that I don't feel like it is over sensitive.

I'm still very much a beginner with DCS and the F-18. However it has already helped with my Air to Air refueling.

My Banker score has improved by 20 points on a good trap (lets not talk about the other ones). How it really helped me is for the transition between the break turn and gear and flaps down and the dreaded trimming for flying on speed (my problem child).

I'm away from it for the next week or so sadly.

Received mine today. Sad... Seems not everyone getting the freebies from thrustmaster.

OS:Win10 64bit*/MB: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING / HD:SSD

CPU Type: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3700Mhz / Ram:32Gb DDR4

Mon: Dell AW3418DW LCD + 3 x CUBESIM displays.

Hotas : TM Warthog #4347 | #80897 | TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick / TM Pendular Rudder / Cougar MFDs / Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC / Elgato Stream Decks / Virpil T50-CM2 Base and Grip / Winwing Super Taurus | PCR | PTO / Monstechtech Desk Mounts 

Received mine today. Sad... Seems not everyone getting the freebies from thrustmaster.

What freebies?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

What freebies?

Shown in the video below

Hotas : TM Warthog #4347 | #80897 | TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick / TM Pendular Rudder / Cougar MFDs / Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC / Elgato Stream Decks / Virpil T50-CM2 Base and Grip / Winwing Super Taurus | PCR | PTO / Monstechtech Desk Mounts 

After spending some time with Tech support on the phone, nicest gal I've ever had an issue with, I got the stick Drivers to update and the firmware to update. Ya! Maybe not a piece of shit!....

WTF! TPR Rudder drivers messed up. No properties window available. Firmware install fails.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

I did not get any of that stuff with mine . I like the Patches. Would have been cool to at least to have gotten those with the stick.....

Yeah... would be cool to have those.

Was thinking that pre-orders will get those.

Well, I pre-ordered mine and didn't get them! :(

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I did pre-order when it was first opened to do so. I did not get any of that stuff. I can only think it must have been for the first few who pre-ordered.

I posted this in another forum.

I got my grip yesterday it has now officially replaced my Virpil T-50CM2. It is connected to the Brunner base and for the first time makes that base come alive. After 1 or 2 hrs total flying time what I like the most is the weight of the grip, it feels very natural and meaty in my hand and it's the first grip that I don't feel like it is over sensitive.

I'm still very much a beginner with DCS and the F-18. However it has already helped with my Air to Air refueling.

My Banker score has improved by 20 points on a good trap (lets not talk about the other ones). How it really helped me is for the transition between the break turn and gear and flaps down and the dreaded trimming for flying on speed (my problem child).

I'm away from it for the next week or so sadly.

How is the Brunner base with DCS. Is force feedback well supported yet? I’m interested but the price is a bit too high, might change my mind if it works well though.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

How is the Brunner base with DCS. Is force feedback well supported yet? I’m interested but the price is a bit too high, might change my mind if it works well though.

I do like the Brunner base, the force feedback is apparently supported right now thru vjoy. I've not gotten it to work yet and tech support is on holiday for another week. To be honest it probably won't be that big a deal for me. I'm working on mastering AAR and carrier landings and haven't even started using the gun.

What I like about the base is the hardware trim which seems more natural for me.

IIRC the freebies were only for the pre-orders from the TM site.

My pre-order was 11th June and had them.

Yep ! Only the first 100 preorders on the TM shop received the small gifts.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Yep ! Only the first 100 preorders on the TM shop received the small gifts.

Argh..... ordered mine from amazon.

Got mine as well. Love the solid feeling. Only thing that may take getting used to is the two stage trigger. It's definitely more "clicky" (is that a description? lol).

Not sure why, but it feels a lot better than my WH and Cougar.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

It sure feels better than the Warthog grip when flying the Hornet. I actually prefer the combination of this grip with the WH base to the WarBRD base (heresy, I know), noted that my WH base is modded to reduce the tension around the center. With my WH base, when I ease off the stick from deflection, it just slides back and softly clicks into the center with almost zero wobbling or oscillation--this feels just like my VKB-MCG Pro setup. The weight of the grip is about right for the WH base.

Edited by Supmua

What did you do to mod it Sup?

Added an extra spring to each of the four columns in the lower compartment. This reduces the net force on the gimbal allowing it to move better since the TM gimbal operates via spring compression which is opposite to VKB/Virpil’s.