[DCS BUG] AIM-54

chief

Check the 72/73 tests ... https://www.navy.mil/Resources/Fact-Files/Display-FactFiles/Article/2168381/aim-54-phoenix-missile/ Many of those tests seem to be from subsonic launches.

Even if flying from an optimum launch aircraft against an optimum (assume non-manoeuvring, M2, head-on) target, it would suggest the 54s max range in game is too short ... We should be able to launch at 110 miles and still expect a hit :)

Edited by Kula66

Check the 72/73 tests ... https://www.navy.mil/Resources/Fact-Files/Display-FactFiles/Article/2168381/aim-54-phoenix-missile/ Many of those tests seem to be from subsonic launches.

Even if flying from an optimum launch aircraft against an optimum (assume non-manoeuvring, M2, head-on) target, it would suggest the 54s max range in game is too short ... We should be able to launch at 110 miles and still expect a hit :)

A QT-33 and a BQM-34, they are not an F-18.

Hi La Unión | Atazar

first on the video we see that you are not really at 90 degree compared to the lock.

Second, the missile activates its own radar at a certain distance from you that's why you have the lock missile 9 seconds before impact

Thirth, is better with Tacview, we have more informations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2sWS_Rom4

Edited by P0G0

Tower : IN WIN D-Frame Red - Watercooling : EKWB (CM, CPU, CG) - Alim : Corsair RM1000x - CM : Asus Maximus XI Formula - CPU : Intel i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - CG : Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC 11Go - RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Go 3000Mhz - Windows 10 64 - DD System : 1To (2 SSD PCIe M.2 NvMe Samsung 970 Pro 500Go RAID 0) - Hotas : Virpil V.F.X Grip, MongoosT 50CM2 Throttle - Rudder : Thrustmaster TPR - VR Headset : HP Reverb - Monitor : Asus ROG PG348Q - Keyboard, Mouse : Steelseries

Hi La Unión | Atazar

first on the video we see that you are not really at 90 degree compared to the lock.

Second, the missile activates its own radar at a certain distance from you that's why you have the lock missile 9 seconds before impact

Thirth, is better with Tacview, we have more informations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2sWS_Rom4

Do you know why you say the missile is activated at "some distance"? because you really do not have data of the real distance to which it should be activated. 9 seconds before impact doesn't seem very real.

I am not going to intervene any more in the thread nor am I going to argue with the entelechies of the simulation and the people who make their living from sales. I will accept the opinion of someone who really knows the behavior of this missile in real life. In the meantime, enjoy your anabolic suppository.

Edited by La Unión | Atazar

Right now it goes active at the same distance as the 120 (API limitation) at 7-8 NM (if memory serves), and it should go active at 10.

As for hitting a target at any range, the only real exploit right now that can be considered a "cheat" is going cold right after firing, or before the missile is 10 NM from the target (on a 32 NM launch at mach 1.2 on a mach 1 closing target, angels 25-30, co-altitude, this would be around 20 NM away from the target if you perform a 40-45 degree crank).

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Right now it goes active at the same distance as the 120 (API limitation) at 7-8 NM (if memory serves), and it should go active at 10.

As for hitting a target at any range, the only real exploit right now that can be considered a "cheat" is going cold right after firing, or before the missile is 10 NM from the target (on a 32 NM launch at mach 1.2 on a mach 1 closing target, angels 25-30, co-altitude, this would be around 20 NM away from the target if you perform a 40-45 degree crank).

Thanks for the information. So if the missile becomes active at 8 miles, it goes one mile per second, given that the alert on the RWR is 9 seconds before impact.

Thanks for the information. So if the missile becomes active at 8 miles, it goes one mile per second, given that the alert on the RWR is 9 seconds before impact.

Not always. It depends of the Closure rate (velocidad de acercamiento in spanish) between you and the missile.

:megalol:

We did calculations and to get to us, after going into active mode and after RWR alert, it would have to travel 8 miles in 9 seconds at mach 4.8, 1,600 meters per second.

All this, taking into account that the missile has been launched at 60 miles.

Regarding the approach speed. At the time of the radar alert we were already at 45º with respect to the enemy. At the moment of impact we would be at 95 degrees, descending and at 1.20 mach

:)

This is how someone who is under the effects of placebos behaves. That's what we can laugh at

I would not like to be in your place and be another victim of self-deception.

Placebo is youre defensive manouver, but you will figure it out. :thumbup:

:)

Placebo is youre defensive manouver, but you will figure it out. :thumbup:

Certainly, I didn't even drop the tanks because I planned to keep fighting. I didn't think anyone was going to shoot from 50 miles, or sooner. It has not been my best evasion maneuver either, but it is proof that here is a weapon that needs revision, capable of traveling 60 miles at mach 5 without losing energy and activating its radar 9 seconds from impact against a target at 95 degrees, mach 1.20

"capable of traveling 60 miles at mach 5 without losing energy" :megalol:

Where is the proof of what you say ?

Tower : IN WIN D-Frame Red - Watercooling : EKWB (CM, CPU, CG) - Alim : Corsair RM1000x - CM : Asus Maximus XI Formula - CPU : Intel i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - CG : Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC 11Go - RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 64Go 3000Mhz - Windows 10 64 - DD System : 1To (2 SSD PCIe M.2 NvMe Samsung 970 Pro 500Go RAID 0) - Hotas : Virpil V.F.X Grip, MongoosT 50CM2 Throttle - Rudder : Thrustmaster TPR - VR Headset : HP Reverb - Monitor : Asus ROG PG348Q - Keyboard, Mouse : Steelseries

"capable of traveling 60 miles at mach 5 without losing energy" :megalol:

Where is the proof of what you say ?

The proof is in the video. The missile hits me at a speed of Mach 4.8 traveling 8 miles at 1,600 meters per second after having traveled more than 50 miles.

At the time of impact, the F-14 was still 30 miles away. That means his attack was between 50/60

If you can count, count 9 seconds from RWR alert to impact and calculate time, distance, and speed.

The proof is in the video. The missile hits me at a speed of Mach 4.8 traveling 8 miles at 1,600 meters per second after having traveled more than 50 miles.

At the time of impact, the F-14 was still 30 miles away. That means his attack was between 50/60

If you can count, count 9 seconds from RWR alert to impact and calculate time, distance, and speed.

Instead of posting here, you could use the Mission Editor of DCS to set up an AI F-14 to fire Aim-54s at you from different ranges to test how it actually works in game, and practice defending it to avoid surprises.

Sorry, but based on your video, you don't know what you are doing at all. You keep flying almost straight at an enemy with active missiles and wait for your rwr to go off? You won't have much success flying like that even against 120s...

Instead of posting here, you could use the Mission Editor of DCS to set up an AI F-14 to fire Aim-54s at you from different ranges to test how it actually works in game, and practice defending it to avoid surprises.

Sorry, but based on your video, you don't know what you are doing at all. You keep flying almost straight at an enemy with active missiles and wait for your rwr to go off? You won't have much success flying like that even against 120s...

My video is not a demonstration of skill. The defensive tactic hasn't been the best, but the purpose of the video is not to tell everyone, OH, I'm a super driver who does everything right!

According to the data, the Phoenix hits us 9 seconds after going into active mode, at a speed of mach 4.8, traveling 8 miles at 1,600 meters per second after having traveled an additional 50/60 miles.

The best you can do is to get Tacview to see what actually happened, and\or make an AI F-14 fire at you in ME and watch the track.

Even if you happened to find an actual problem with the missile, you'd still need to present it clearly with a track.

AIM-54 has been a mess since release, but those issues are related to guidance mainly, and if they manage to fix them with the new API finally, the missile will still kill you in a situation like that.

Hard defending against it recently on 104th, Comie ? Lol just kidding.

IIRC HB said they acquired (API missile ? ) from ED so I believe they're working on it. There's post about this from IronMike (sorry too lazy to search).

Lets hope it would come soon enough next Jan or Feb? as well as missiles overhaul from ED

There is no need for tacview. They are pure mathematics. A missile launched at 60 miles maintains a speed of Mach 5 throughout its range, otherwise it would not have hit 9 seconds after entering active mode.

There is no need for tacview. They are pure mathematics. A missile launched at 60 miles maintains a speed of Mach 5 throughout its range, otherwise it would not have hit 9 seconds after entering active mode.

The Phoenix has a long engine burn time, if the F14 was a M1.8 (Thing that is very capable of, as same as hornet an many other aircrafts) the missile could loft, and gain muuuuuch speed, and arrive at Mach 5.