Oil In The Water SP & CO Campaign

• 2 weeks later...

Up to Mission 6,  Great fun campaign.  Watching the carrier group defend itself was pure joy.   So glad sea mode was added to the Hornet before i started this campaign.

Thanks Again,  immersion wise, as good as any paid campaign i have played.

Edited by Sting57

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

I started the campaign 2 weeks ago and passed missions 0, 1 and 2 quite fast, thanks to new implemented sea radar. I am stucked in mission 3 and cannot beat that awful two MiGs. I think the most problem are new bugs to AA Radar. Bandits are dispappearing from the radar without any reason in very random cases. When you are closing to them from a low level (said about 5000ft) the radar doesn't see them at all (I have checked the antenna level many times). 

The close combat is even more difficult because ACM radar generally does not work since last patch, MiGs are faster at 20k feet than f-18 and I usually finish with IR missile in my a**. . Does anyone have any tips for this awful group? 😄

My wingman (everything was told before) sometimes helps, sometimes not. I could recognize that repeting of "engage bandits" more than once could help.

Generally I like this campaing, but I hope to see the rest of the missions in short time. Thanks!

EDIT:

Finally: finished with 75% success, defeated the first group and finally killed by invisible MiG-29 in half-way to the second group. Could be better but it is enough for now after 30 tries. I will be back here in some time after ED will fix the radar issues.  Now it is time to go on with next missions 🤠

Edited by ultrasonograf

Very sorry for writing "post after post" but I would like to share with some feedback:

Actually on mission 6 (SAED on HawkEyes).

The mission looks quite simple: I have 4 HARMs, and place them directly onto a proper targer. It is easy to make mistake and send HARM to different site, cause there are some numbers of them around. In the meantime, some dogfight with Tomcats, also interesting.

The problem is (not only in this mission) that mission goals are not clearly specified. All my HARMS hit the proper target. My wingman was ordered to "attack primary". He sometimes does, sometimes not. Anyhow, he usually uses all his HARMS as I could see.

What is the effect? I got 4 "parts" of the main target destroyed, thare are 4 or 5 parts left, and I do not know how many %% should be hit to get the missiom result successed. It was still 50% results (you usually get for start 😄 )

My conclusions are:

1. You are not able to finish after the wingman does anything wrong or gets hit by enemy.

2. Wingman reacts properly on my commands, but only for seconds, until he hears anything from AWACS (maybe there is some priority set, I don't know). I could see it in previous missions of this campaign, even during dogfight.

3. I do not know how many radars shall I destroy to get any positive %% results for the mission. (looks like all of them what makes the mission difficult).

I actually gave up, after 3 repeatings of the same mission with the feeling that I made everything properly and there is no success.

Greetings,

Pio

9 minutes ago, Padre Pio said:

What is the effect? I got 4 "parts" of the main target destroyed, thare are 4 or 5 parts left, and I do not know how many %% should be hit to get the missiom result successed. It was still 50% results (you usually get for start 😄 )

The Hawk site has 4 radars: the search radar, the CWAR acquisition radar, and two tracking radars. Your priorities should be the tracking radars, as those are the threat, but the more you can destroy the better. Between you and your wingman you have 8 missiles for 4 targets. 

The mission is actually advanced by you with the F10 radio menu. When you think it's safe enough to clear Uzi 2 into the SAM threat range use the radio command to send them in. At this point, technically, you've passed the mission. 

Mission scoring is 50 baseline points, you get 30 points for transmitting the message to send in Uzi 2, and another 20 points if the Hawk site is totally destroyed. Uzi 2 is carrying 8 Mavericks and will pretty reliably destroy 8 targets so long as you don't let the Tomcats shoot them down. If you can take out at least 3 radars Uzi 2 will wipe out the rest of the site and you'll get a perfect score.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matis228 said:

Hello, is this campaign playable without SuperCarrier DLC and if no can I convert it to non SC easily or there are lots of scripts connected to the SC?

There is only a Super Carrier version.

Nothing is specifically tied to the Super Carrier, though simply changing the unit type can do some weird things. All the static object placement on the deck gets blown up for example, so you'll need to redo or delete everything. Otherwise, changing the carrier out for the stock Stennis should be fine. 

6 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

There is only a Super Carrier version.

Nothing is specifically tied to the Super Carrier, though simply changing the unit type can do some weird things. All the static object placement on the deck gets blown up for example, so you'll need to redo or delete everything. Otherwise, changing the carrier out for the stock Stennis should be fine. 

Great, I don't mind chaning the static units. I'm excited to try this campaign!

Edited by matis228

I finally got through the night mission. I know it's just me, but I am not having a lot of success here (or anywhere else) w/ the targeting pod. And night makes it even less useful for me. So I swapped the MavEs for MavFs. The worst part w/ the pod is I have no idea where it is looking while I slew it. The degrees left, right or down don't help much at all. I find that I can see the boats better w/ the MavF screen and it is really nice having the down pointing triangle showing me where the Mav is looking. Sometimes I slew the triangle and sometimes I just fly the plane like I would w/ rockets. I keep hitting the TDC push button as I line up on the boat and the 3rd or 4th try I get a lock and fire. Overall I really like this campaign. I especially like the hot starts. In another campaign w/ cold starts I use the auto start cheat and that still takes a lot of time. I enjoy lining up for the cat shots following the yellow shirt's directions too. Thanks Bunny.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:47 AM, CBStu said:

I finally got through the night mission. I know it's just me, but I am not having a lot of success here (or anywhere else) w/ the targeting pod. And night makes it even less useful for me. So I swapped the MavEs for MavFs. The worst part w/ the pod is I have no idea where it is looking while I slew it. The degrees left, right or down don't help much at all. I find that I can see the boats better w/ the MavF screen and it is really nice having the down pointing triangle showing me where the Mav is looking. Sometimes I slew the triangle and sometimes I just fly the plane like I would w/ rockets. I keep hitting the TDC push button as I line up on the boat and the 3rd or 4th try I get a lock and fire. Overall I really like this campaign. I especially like the hot starts. In another campaign w/ cold starts I use the auto start cheat and that still takes a lot of time. I enjoy lining up for the cat shots following the yellow shirt's directions too. Thanks Bunny.

Does using the indication of where the TGP is looking on the SA page not assist you?  It is much better for reference or orientation to your aircraft, than the degrees up/down left/right on the FLIR display....

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

9 hours ago, Ziptie said:

Does using the indication of where the TGP is looking on the SA page not assist you?  It is much better for reference or orientation to your aircraft, than the degrees up/down left/right on the FLIR display....

Cheers,

Ziptie

Please elaborate on this. I am not aware how this works. Thank you.

Although this is coming up in this campaign I think it is a more general question(s). 1- On several occasions, I have completely run out of missiles and even gun ammo so I am useless. I look for some way to tell Wizard this but see nothing in the comms drop down list. So I ask for a vector to the carrier thinking maybe he will realize I am RTB. But he keeps giving me BRA calls. 2- Same w/ fuel. I know it is my fault in a way since I am still not able to refuel from the tanker, but am I expected to hang in the area until I run out of fuel? BTW, I am having an absolute blast w/ this campaign so thank you Bunny for all your hard work creating it.

4 hours ago, CBStu said:

Please elaborate on this. I am not aware how this works. Thank you.

As long as it's looking at a point within the current scale of the SA page, the current TPOD LOS is indicated on the SA page as a small (tiny) square with a dot in the middle.  If you slew the TPOD around while looking at the SA page you should see it moving around (sometimes easier to spot it if it's moving).  If you have a target or markpoint on the SA you can use this to slew the square over it and the TPOD should be looking roughly in the right area for you.

Love this campaign but I need some advice for how to get through M11. I have no problem destroying the SA-6 radar, either the HARM does the job or the CBUs. But I have big trouble fighting the enemy fighters that party seem to pop up 5nm from me out of nowhere.

The main problem really is that I cannot spot the enemies visually or at least not fast enough. Even though I get a spike on my RWR (and that replicated on the JHMCS which is a huge help generally) and try to start my visual scan from there, at this point they are usually already pointing their tiny noses in my direction (the F-5 that is) and I get heaters lobbed my way.

I mean, I am absolutely conscious of the fact that I am really not the greatest dogfighter, but I usually get the stuff done after a couple of tries. But I can‘t progress from M11 onwards...

Any ideas?

Edited by Hog_No32

10 hours ago, rob10 said:

As long as it's looking at a point within the current scale of the SA page, the current TPOD LOS is indicated on the SA page as a small (tiny) square with a dot in the middle.  If you slew the TPOD around while looking at the SA page you should see it moving around (sometimes easier to spot it if it's moving).  If you have a target or markpoint on the SA you can use this to slew the square over it and the TPOD should be looking roughly in the right area for you.

7 hours ago, CBStu said:

Rob10. Thank you so much. I will try this tomorrow.

Rob beat me to it - but he nailed it.  Hope it helps you.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Rob and Ziptie, thanks again. I tried it this AM in my own practice bombing mission and it definitely worked. I was able to place the FLIR symbol over a target waypoint on the SA page and that had the FLIR close enough that I could find the target and lase it. I had two laser guided bombs and two GBU38 and 4 targets so it worked fine. Even though I didn't use the FLIR for the GBU38s I found that when I hit waypoint designate on the SA screen, it automatically moved the FLIR there also. Fun to watch the tanks get blown up via the FLIR image.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hog_No32 said:

But I have big trouble fighting the enemy fighters that party seem to pop up 5nm from me out of nowhere.

Those F-5s are taking off from the airbase right next to the SA-6 site, so that's why they seem to be poping up out of nowhere. How quickly they take off is actually dependent on how good of a job you do flying low. If you stay low long enough you can nail them as they take off, if you pop up early you could take them on at longer range if you want to. But one thing to keep in mind: there will be more threats coming after the F-5s ... 

If you can't find them at all telling your wingman to engage bandits can be useful. The "Cover Me" command can also be great, as when using it your wingman will automatically engage any bandits that get close to you. 

On 2/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, CBStu said:

The worst part w/ the pod is I have no idea where it is looking while I slew it.

If the FLIR is currently the sensor creating the designated target (the FLIR reticle is a diamond), you'll see the current target point, and thus where the FLIR is looking, as a diamond both in the HUD and HMD. 

On 2/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, CBStu said:

Although this is coming up in this campaign I think it is a more general question(s). 1- On several occasions, I have completely run out of missiles and even gun ammo so I am useless. I look for some way to tell Wizard this but see nothing in the comms drop down list. So I ask for a vector to the carrier thinking maybe he will realize I am RTB. But he keeps giving me BRA calls. 2- Same w/ fuel. I know it is my fault in a way since I am still not able to refuel from the tanker, but am I expected to hang in the area until I run out of fuel? BTW, I am having an absolute blast w/ this campaign so thank you Bunny for all your hard work creating it.

The AI isn't smart enough to respond to you being out of weapons or low on fuel. You can fly back to the carrier and land to rearm and refuel. That will work better in some missions than others. Generally though you should have enough weapons to complete every mission with a spare or two, though in some missions it's impossible to score 100% with less than perfect accuracy. Make sure you're leveraging your wingman, most missions will have a brief description of what you can have him do to help with the mission in the briefing. 

6 hours ago, CBStu said:

I am stuck on mission 8. Have flown it 6 times and can't get whatever I need to be moved to the next mission. I no longer care. Is there a way I can take my zero and move on? 

You can, you can go into the .lua file and change the highest completed mission, to the number you are struggling with - and move right along.

There is a post here somewhere in the forum ,that outlines how to do that.  Think it might have been in the Raven One campaign thread - when some trigger(s) got messed up with one of ED's updates.

Cheers,

Ziptie

On 2/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, Bunny Clark said:

Those F-5s are taking off from the airbase right next to the SA-6 site, so that's why they seem to be poping up out of nowhere. How quickly they take off is actually dependent on how good of a job you do flying low. If you stay low long enough you can nail them as they take off, if you pop up early you could take them on at longer range if you want to. But one thing to keep in mind: there will be more threats coming after the F-5s ... 

If you can't find them at all telling your wingman to engage bandits can be useful. The "Cover Me" command can also be great, as when using it your wingman will automatically engage any bandits that get close to you. 

Thanks Bunny Clark. I'll try to engage the F-5s while on takeoff next time...that way I have a fair chance... LOL. And then I hope I can deal with what will come thereafter.