Thrustmaster f/A-18 stick on wrbrd base ?

FZG_Immel

I'm a happy owner of a wrbrd base. Using it with a warthog stick/ I recently purchased a hornet stick from thrustmaster. Will it be compatible ?

Thanks for your answers

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

My F/A-18 grip is on the WarBRD base, no issue. The newest firmware places it in the same category as Warthog grip—it’s the same selection when you create a new profile.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 3 months later...
My F/A-18 grip is on the WarBRD base, no issue. The newest firmware places it in the same category as Warthog grip—it’s the same selection when you create a new profile.

Hi Supmua, so with the new firmware after you create a new TMWH/F18 profile you can then interchange the two sticks (A-10 Warthog and F-18 grip) without having to run the sofware, is that so?

Is this still necessary to connect the TM F-18 grip: " Remove the 2 bolts holding the female grip connector in place when attaching TM grips to prevent damage to the connectors."

Thanks!

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I think this bolt removal is only neccessary if you want to attach the grip at a twisted angle for center-mounted use.

Thanks!

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Hi Supmua, so with the new firmware after you create a new TMWH/F18 profile you can then interchange the two sticks (A-10 Warthog and F-18 grip) without having to run the sofware, is that so?

Is this still necessary to connect the TM F-18 grip: " Remove the 2 bolts holding the female grip connector in place when attaching TM grips to prevent damage to the connectors."

Thanks!

OK, here's my take on this. Others will disagree, but it's just my opinion.

Firstly, I swap the Warthog and Hornet sticks without any issue on the WarBRD base. However, I have not removed the 2 screws in question.

If you do remove the 2 screws, then swapping sticks is not quite so straightforward as the base connector becomes disconnected and loose, and you have to manually pull it off and on which I found to be quite awkward when swapping regularly.

The reason given for the advice to remove the screws is that there is a fxed connector on the base, and a fixed connector on the TM sticks, so any twisting movement could cause damage.

Although in principle, I can see the logic, in practice, I think it's a non-issue for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the same configuration exists in the TM sticks and bases, i.e. 2 fixed connectors, and that has not proved to be a problem for me in several years of use.

Secondly, the heads of the 2 screws in question fit nicely into the 2 slots in the bottom of the TM sticks and that provides protection against any twisting movement.

In addition, when the stick is correctly tightened up, I find it very difficult to make any twisting movements anyway.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Firstly, I swap the Warthog and Hornet sticks without any issue on the WarBRD base. However, I have not removed the 2 screws in question.

Thank you very much for your opinion sir, I saw a statement just like yours in another forum, where the person also did not remove the screws and had no problem at all.

EDIT: I didn´t remove the screws in my new TM F-18 grip with WarBRD and no problems too.

Edited by Hamilton

• 2 months later...

I have bought the WarBRD base and the Thrustmaster F-18 Grip. However when I try to select them in the Virpil Setup I can select the base but there is nothing in the Grip Drop Down!

Any ideas, please guys?

For Info: The Windows game controller names it "WarBrd + Delta"!!! Whatever that means!

Edit: Okay I have fixed it. I needed to select the "VPC WarBrd" from the Top List and then after the Firmware Update it allowed selection of the "VPC WarBrd" as the Base and "TM WarthogFA-18" as the Grip

Edited by Gosling

Just to piggyback on this thread slightly. So if I want the grip to be at an angle to the base, so it's more comfortable to hold centered, I remove those two screws? And the connector will twist without risk of damage? Do I remove the little diamond shaped plate as well?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

In my experience with both Warthog and Hornet sticks on WarBRD bases, it is preferable not to remove the screws.

Two reasons. Firstly, there are recesses in both grips that fit the screw head position exactly, and that means the stick is locked in place with no twisting movement possible.

Secondly, I have never understood why anyone would want to be able to rotate the grip anyway.

I know the official VPC advise is to remove them, but, in my opinion, it’s best not to take the screws out.

I mean, if the connector rotation was an issue, the original TM base would have it as well. It doesn’t.

However, each to his own.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Firstly, there are recesses in both grips that fit the screw head position exactly, and that means the stick is locked in place with no twisting movement possible.

I have found this to not be the case. I left the little screws on the base in and I am able to accidentally twist the grip anyway despite tightening the grip collar as far as it will go. This makes me worried I risk damage unless I follow Virpil recommendations and remove the screws.

I have never understood why anyone would want to be able to rotate the grip anyway.

Of course this is personal preference. But if you look at the real Hornet cockpit you will see the grip is rotated to provide a more comfortable angle for the right hand coming in onto the centre stick. The Thrustmaster grip, held centred, is not entirely comfortable in the "straight" configuration forced by the position of the two small base screws and their respective recesses in the grip.

VC

I have found this to not be the case. I left the little screws on the base in and I am able to accidentally twist the grip anyway despite tightening the grip collar as far as it will go. This makes me worried I risk damage unless I follow Virpil recommendations and remove the screws.

Exactly! I noticed this too, from time to time I am able to accidentally twist the grip, but I didn't remove the screws because I also use the TM Warthog stick a lot (some modules I use TM F-18 stick others I use Warthog).

I understand where you are coming from. My experience is different from you. With the Hornet stick, for me, there is absolutely no rotaional movement at all. It is rock solid in place with the screws in. With the Warthog stick, I do get some rotational movement if I try to force it. However, it was the same in the TM base, but that has been discussed before.

My point is, that there is the exact same configuration when using the TM Warthog base, i.e. with a fixed connector, that there is using the WarBRD, so if TM think t's OK, then it's fine by me.

I have had no issues whatsoever with either of my WarBRD bases and the 2 TM sticks.

Of course this is personal preference. But if you look at the real Hornet cockpit you will see the grip is rotated to provide a more comfortable angle for the right hand coming in onto the centre stick. The Thrustmaster grip, held centred, is not entirely comfortable in the "straight" configuration forced by the position of the two small base screws and their respective recesses in the grip.

Sorry, that is not what I meant. I was talking about the rotational movement relating to the same thing as above.

To move my Hornet stick to off-centre, I just turn the base a little!

I understand where you are coming from. My experience is different from you. With the Hornet stick, for me, there is absolutely no rotaional movement at all. It is rock solid in place with the screws in. With the Warthog stick, I do get some rotational movement if I try to force it. However, it was the same in the TM base, but that has been discussed before.

My point is, that there is the exact same configuration when using the TM Warthog base, i.e. with a fixed connector, that there is using the WarBRD, so if TM think t's OK, then it's fine by me.

I have had no issues whatsoever with either of my WarBRD bases and the 2 TM sticks.

I'm a little concerned we have opposite experiences with identical hardware, but oh well.

Sorry, that is not what I meant. I was talking about the rotational movement relating to the same thing as above.

To move my Hornet stick to off-centre, I just turn the base a little!

Apologies for misunderstanding as well. Of course I don't want random rotation especially since I'm fighting muscle memory from having a twist stick for a long time before this. But if it's going to happen anyway I'd prefer the peace of mind of following the manufacturers advice.

I also turned the base while testing it and it felt OK, but long term I think I would prefer turning the grip in the base, otherwise the base takes up an awkward space and the axes aren't aligned relative to my body.

VC

I'm a little concerned we have opposite experiences with identical hardware, but oh well.

Apologies for misunderstanding as well. Of course I don't want random rotation especially since I'm fighting muscle memory from having a twist stick for a long time before this. But if it's going to happen anyway I'd prefer the peace of mind of following the manufacturers advice.

I also turned the base while testing it and it felt OK, but long term I think I would prefer turning the grip in the base, otherwise the base takes up an awkward space and the axes aren't aligned relative to my body.

I can twist mine by small amounts as well if I grip it tightly, so don't worry.

But do follow the recommendation and remove the screws to prevent damage to either the stick or the base.

I can twist mine by small amounts as well if I grip it tightly, so don't worry

Iam a little bit surprised, since mine is sitting tight without the smallest movement and i have my screws still in as well. It also doesn´t make any sense, to tighten something by removing the screws and make it move by tighten these screws, regardless if it´s a flightstick grip or whatever. My interpretation is, that removing these screws is related to the connector itself. When i put my Hornet (or WH) grip on my TM base, the stick is stiff on the connector itself without tighten the screw wheel. I could take my hands off and it wouldn´t fall off to the side.

Very different with my WarBRD base, without tighten the grip, the stick is loose on the connector and would fall to the side if i´d take my hands off. This would cause critical damage to the connector pins and to avoid that, you should take the screws off so the base connector would fall to the side together with the grip without damaging the pins.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Sorry, I can't make sense of what you are saying. Why would you be messing around with the sticks sitting loose and not tightening the grip?

Sorry, I can't make sense of what you are saying. Why would you be messing around with the sticks sitting loose and not tightening the grip?

That´s not the point. I´m not talking about using the grip loose without tightening it. The point is, that this could happen WHILE tightening the grip as pppl might be used to the warthog base, where you can comfortable tighten the grip without holding it in place. If they do so with the WarBRD, they´ll damage their connector pins as the grip will fall to the side if not holded in place. Pretty much obvious, isn´t it? And it makes very much sense. As i said. tighten something (flightstick grip or whatever) by taking screws out and make something loose by tightening screws... that is what makes absolutely no sense. That would be like trying to get dry by jumping in the swimming pool. Or just name one thing in the world, that is beeing tighten by taking screws OUT. If i had some hardware that is tight and starts to wiggle after screws get tighten, i´d send it back.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2