What are the Recce event and Sensor Select Depress switches used for, etc.?

imacken

Just wondering, IRL:

1) what is the recce event switch used for?

2) what is the Sensor Select Depress used for?

3) why is Weapon Select left not used instead of down?

4) why does the TM Hornet stick have a 2 button + push switch when it would seem that the real Hornet doesn't?

Just curious!

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Question 1.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3476909

The above link quite explained the recce button.

Question 4

If my memory serves me right, I read sometime back TM decided to add one more switch to the their Hornet flightstick to provide more functionality.

If you were to use the TM Hornet flightstick for other module, that added button comes very handy to give more functionality

I could be wrong but that is was I gathered from the statement.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

1) If you have your JHMCS on, and press the recce button, it will toggle it on and off. That is all I know for that button.

2) Sensor select Depress is used for IFF'ing targets on your RADAR, and other stuff on the SA page (I believe. I'm more of a Tomcat guys these days and have fallen behind on Hornet development).

3) Weapon Select Right will give you the 120's. Weapon select left is not used (couldn't tell you why. An AT or Pilot could probably answer that).

4) added it to keep button count the same from the Warthog. Also, works for other modules (Tomcat).

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Just wondering, IRL:

4) why does the TM Hornet stick have a 2 button + push switch when it would seem that the real Hornet doesn't?

Just curious!

I found that little rocker switch and button extremely useful for the Zoom in and out slow function and the push button function of it I use for Voice Attack :joystick:

I use the little Recce Event button as my TS transmit button. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I use the paddle switch as a modifier, I changed the binding for it to the recce button.

On the 2 way switch with push, I use up for cage/uncage and press for TDC depress.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just wondering, IRL:

1) what is the recce event switch used for?

2) what is the Sensor Select Depress used for?

3) why is Weapon Select right not used instead of down?

Just curious!

1) Turns HMD On/Off when the Knob is on, otherwise in the real thing I believe it's used for recon purposes

2) IFF's targets in later Lot Hornets and Super Hornets, older versions don't have the press

3) Right selects 120's, it's left that's not used in the real thing - Fwd = AIM7, Aft = Gun, Right = 120, Down = AIM9

4) For game purposes, a nice addition to allow more functionality on the stick when compared to other grips like the WH, etc.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

1) Turns HMD On/Off when the Knob is on, otherwise in the real thing I believe it's used for recon purposes

2) IFF's targets in later Lot Hornets and Super Hornets, older versions don't have the press

3) Right selects 120's, it's left that's not used in the real thing - Fwd = AIM7, Aft = Gun, Right = 120, Down = AIM9

4) For game purposes, a nice addition to allow more functionality on the stick when compared to other grips like the WH, etc.

Thanks for that. Sorry, yes it's left that is not used. Any idea why? I mean, forward/aft/left/right would be more conventional? Why down and not left?

Thanks for that. Sorry, yes it's left that is not used. Any idea why? I mean, forward/aft/left/right would be more conventional? Why down and not left?

The ergonomics of the real stick is the issue. It’s much easier to push the button down then it is left, away from the stick body. Your Thumb isn’t that strong in that direction generally.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The ergonomics of the real stick is the issue. It’s much easier to push the button down then it is left, away from the stick body. Your Thumb isn’t that strong in that direction generally.

That makes sense! Thanks.

The Recce event button IRL allows the pilot to mark a time in the MC for maintenance purposes. The Little numbers above the menu button on the DDIs are the system time counters, for cameras recording them in the cockpit. The button stores a mark point in the telemetry from the time its pressed, this makes troubleshooting a little easier.

And as already stated; on HMD equipped birds it toggles the display on/off as well.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Legacy. When the Hornet was developed there was no AMRAAM. It had a 3 way switch: fwd Sparrow, press Sidewinder, back Gun.

With the introduction of the AMRAAM, the hat was replaced allowing right for the new missile. The old logic was not changed to avoid confusion. Imagine flying an AMRAAM capable F-18 one day and a non converted the following day with the weapon selection logic changed...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What the Event Mark RECCE button does according to the people in this thread:

• Messes with the video recorder
  • Toggles the JHMCS
  • Is used for reconaissance
  • Marks ground targets
  • Marks events for maintenance

This is a lot of functionality for a single button :lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Wizard_03 is spot on.

The Recce event button IRL allows the pilot to mark a time in the MC for maintenance purpose as

In the FA18c manual it also say

Page 213 in manual

Additionally, HMD manual blanking can be toggled by pressing the RECCE button on the control stick.

When enabled, all HMD symbology is hidden.

And ( page 57 )

Recce event mark. In the early access, this can be used to blank the helmet mounted display when

pressed. It will also serve to toggle between AGM-65G centroid vs. force correlate tracking.