RAID!!!???

I have not a clue what is RAID and i did look at the manual and still dont understand!

My question to you all is do i need to set up RAID for my hardrive? I only got one SATA 150G 16mb 10k rpm HD. Do i need to do anything with it besides load my windows and games? Please let me know cuz im a noob!

|Windows 8 64bit|I7-950| |X58Mobo| |1T HDD| |18gigs PC3-16000 TC 2000mhz||Nvidia GTX 660 Ti Graphics||Cougar HOTAS-CHPedals/TIR5ProClip|

You have 2 most common RAID setups (for each you need same type/size 2 HDD minimum)

RAID0 is when you have 2 HDD and data is being "Stripped" into 2 parts, one going to 1 HDD and other going to 2 HDD. You can get different strip size, for example, if you chose 64MB strip size then file that is 128KB in size will be divided into 2x64KB data sets, each weing written to separate HDD. Advantage of RAID0 is read/write speed to HDD.

RAID1 is when you again have 2 HDD but instead of stripping data for faster read/write access you get redundancy or mirroring of data. So again as an example you have some data file and it's being written to 1 HDD and again copy of the same file being written to 2 HDD. You get no speed increase this way but you get data backup at all times. If 1 HDD fails you still have data on 2 HDD.

Now you can get more then2 HDD for each of these RAID types, but also you can do both (stripping and mirroring) in RAID0+1 or I think is called RAID5 but for both stripping and mirroring you'd need minimum of 3 HDD (2 HDD of same size for Stripping and 3rd HDD of sum of 2 HDD for mirroring)

No longer active in DCS...

You have 2 most common RAID setups (for each you need same type/size 2 HDD minimum)

RAID0 is when you have 2 HDD and data is being "Stripped" into 2 parts, one going to 1 HDD and other going to 2 HDD. You can get different strip size, for example, if you chose 64MB strip size then file that is 128KB in size will be divided into 2x64KB data sets, each weing written to separate HDD. Advantage of RAID0 is read/write speed to HDD.

RAID1 is when you again have 2 HDD but instead of stripping data for faster read/write access you get redundancy or mirroring of data. So again as an example you have some data file and it's being written to 1 HDD and again copy of the same file being written to 2 HDD. You get no speed increase this way but you get data backup at all times. If 1 HDD fails you still have data on 2 HDD.

Now you can get more then2 HDD for each of these RAID types, but also you can do both (stripping and mirroring) in RAID0+1 or I think is called RAID5 but for both stripping and mirroring you'd need minimum of 3 HDD (2 HDD of same size for Stripping and 3rd HDD of sum of 2 HDD for mirroring)

This is correct. I've got RAID 0 configuration on two identical HDD and no problems with it - only increased speed.

Save yourself alot of grief

Learn about what raid is on computer forums like PCper.com or others. I have been using raid 0 for a couple years now and might always run raid.

Two main raid configs are done with TWO IDENTICAL HARDDRIVES.

There is the software raid or FAKE RAID you can setup on one disk but with drives cheap as they are its not worth doing.

If you want the fastest performance you need 2 IDENTICAL drives plus One other drive to run as a place for backups and important files you cant afford to lose.

RAID 1 mirrors your two drives so is one fails you always have another drive with everything intact. Generally business servers run this way.

RAID 0 is for gamers or people who need to move alot of files around. If something happens to one of the drives you LOSE ALL DATA. No way to recover it either. The raid drives are striped and files are slpit in two and work together. Think of RAID 0 as a duel core processor!! the world of raid is easy, just need to plan out how you are going to handle your files and how you are going to backup what is important to you.

Western Digital created the RAID EDITION Drives that are made better than regular drives and built for raid configs ofcourse. Mine have been awsome and I have a very sweet running ol nforce 3 system, Im going to hate tearing her down this winter for a Quad core 6600 MSI PN9 650i platinum upgrade.

Oh and remember kids, dont drop a dual core as an upgrade and think that all you have to do. You have to have the right bios and YOU WILL HAVE TO format your drives and reload everything from scratch. Make sure the dual core is working first. TOld a friend this and he forgot. LOL

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

My raid0 array may not be the safest solution, but as a gaming drive it kicks serious a** in performance :)

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Oh and remember kids, dont drop a dual core as an upgrade and think that all you have to do. You have to have the right bios and YOU WILL HAVE TO format your drives and reload everything from scratch. Make sure the dual core is working first. TOld a friend this and he forgot. LOL

Format Hard Drive To update a CPU??? Iv'e never had to do that...

:huh:

But then , I Have never installed a dual core CPU..

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

well, 150Gb 10k sata drive must be a wd raptor drive, right?

I beleive it has high enouh performance to do something else just for gaming.

As I found it, when "they" talking about "design, scientific and some heavy apliications, but not games", they are not intact with some facts in modern games ;)

for example, with lockon 1.1 I had switched some settings in the "my computer" properties to acheive the maximum framerate and to minimise frame drops. I swithed priority to "background applications" and memory usage to "to maximise system cache size". it has not modified average framerate, but eliminated the freezes, appeared when I switched from plane to plane, as terrain graphics loaded.

and dual core is something that will not help you play lockon. feel free to search the forum for quaestions like "why the second core has no load?"

WE DON'T WANT A WAR.

Format Hard Drive To update a CPU??? Iv'e never had to do that...

:huh:

But then , I Have never installed a dual core CPU..

The problem is windows has to reset itself up for running 2 cores. Dual cores is a new thing for winodws. Sorry I cant explain it to you any better than that. The OS will be corrupt if it detects a new dual core. The OS will redetect everything and your OS will be screwed beyond repair. Remember we are talking Windoes here!

This is OLD news but not many know about it unless your frequent computer related forums like i do.

• Like 1

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

I never did. Went from a AMD 3700+ to an X2 4400+ and never touched windows.

Are you using a chipset other than Nforce Nvidia? Your the first I have heard takiing this short cut with success. Your sure boths cores are actually working?