Is the LITENING pod certified for Carrier ops?

randomTOTEN

Is the AA/ANQ-28 mounted to a USMC F/A-18C Blk20 certified for Catapults and Arrested Landings? I can imagine the Pod can internally handle flight loads of many G's, but can the pod/mounting handle impact and longitudinal loads. What about the salt water environment? Were these units ever even deployed aboard CV's?

Inquiring minds want to know before I take it onto the boat! :pilotfly:

Thanks!

No the game won’t care which pod you use. But the Lightening Pod was only certified for land based. Probably because the Navy never used it, they always used the FLIR/ATFLIR, when I was in. After I left they might have, but logistically it wouldn’t make sense to have to worry about two different pods for one A/C.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've heard around the forums that the Litening was very vulnerable to grease and other debris from catapult shots, and there was also a significant chance of the pod breaking off the mount from the force of a carrier trap. I can't remember who said these things, so I can't be certain of their validity, but it's something to think about.

No the game won’t care which pod you use. But the Lightening Pod was only certified for land based. Probably because the Navy never used it, they always used the FLIR/ATFLIR, when I was in. After I left they might have, but logistically it wouldn’t make sense to have to worry about two different pods for one A/C.

The Navy doesn't, but the USMC uses the LITENING on their Harriers and AFAIK even when operating from the LHDs. The reason why the USMC doesn't use the LITENING on their Hornets when operating from the carrier is due to logistical reasons, because they can use the Navy's ATFLIRs, which is more efficient than having to manage two different type of pods on the ship.

See here: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a498288.pdf

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg