Setting up Synthetic Runway in-cockpit

Spathiphyllum

Do we still need to use the Mission Editor in order to set up the synthetic runway for the approach or can it finally be done on the go, inside the cockpit, kind of ad-hoc?

I haven't touched the Mirage for almost a year now and I can see it's being updated so I am wondering if this functionality is added already? It would be more than useful - what if there is a sudden change of destination - one has to have the ability to adapt to these changes and set up the systems in-flight - you can do it in real life too. I am hoping that this functionality's already added or will be added real soon.

No yet.

But you need ILS for synthetic runway to work, and you don't need synthetic runway to use ILS and use AP ILS capture mode.

So it isn't a real deal breaker. :smilewink:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Let's say it would be much easier when landing on a zero visibility situation. For now, we have to trust entirely on our skills to land solely with the instruments.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Let's say it would be much easier when landing on a zero visibility situation. For now, we have to trust entirely on our skills to land solely with the instruments.

From various reports, real pilots doesn’t like synthetic runway that much and rather fly ILS with the needles on ADI than the box in the HUD or synthetic runway.

However the same synthetic runway system used to be fitted on some Airbus (I don’t remember if it was former Aéropostale or Air Inter).

On Mirage it’s still a CAT 1 ILS system, 550m visibility range and 200ft ceiling limitations.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Can't remember in what context I read it, but I think it was Zeus himself saying that.

However, the Mirage is a finished module. Was there any announcement that this would be integrated / changed with the MLO?

If not, then expect it not.

Okay then, that's your opinion.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

So maybe you would like to share with us your opinion, why we can expect there any change?

Maybe you didn't noticed they just hired a new system coder who is currently dedicated to finish Mirage module, with new functions on the radar and new PCA logic already published, while Zeus is focused on the Harrier :music_whistling:

So we will see when it's finished...

Mirage fanatic !

So maybe you would like to share with us your opinion, why we can expect there any change?

My opinion is that since this is present in the real aircraft and that it's already partially implemented they will finish the functionality.

Also, quoting Zeus :

Folks, The M-2000C is scheduled for systems overhaul. Based on feedback from the Armée de l'Air the following systems will be updated/upgraded:

• Poste de Commande Armement (PCA): Weapons Control Panel
  • Poste de Preparation Armement (PPA): Weapons Configuration Panel
  • RDI Radar: functionality and control panel.
  • Poste de Commande Navigation (PCN): Navigation Panel
  • RWR.
  • VTH (HUD)
  • VTB (Radar Display)
  • HOTAS
  • NVG
  • Flight Manual

The functionality of some of these devices will be changed and thus you will have to relearn them again.

The manual will be updated to incorporate these changes.

We can see here VTH and PCN, the two systems that are concerned by the synthetic runway.

It is not written if the synthetic runway is part of it, so I don't know for sure if it will be updated, but in my opinion it will :).

--

Off-topic:

I only asked you for a source and then said you were stating your opinion, not a fact (as you provided no source).

I did not want to attack you personally, sorry if it felt that way.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

It's not about pilots liking it or not. It's a feature in the Mirage and we are talking about a simulation here. Setting up the synthetic runway in an "editor" is totally unrealistic and pretty much useless as one can only set up one airport for the anticipated arrival. But what if the airport that was set up for synthetic runway ops has been bombed? Or the weather makes it a no-go? Then an alternate airport needs to be used. But that alternate cannot have a synthetic runway approach since it requires the editor. Sure, we can land using a standard ILS approach. Even better, we can land visually. And upside down. We can even stay in the air forever because it's a game. But I am not talking about this. I am talking about a feature which is there in the real aircraft and is partially simulated here, but this partial simulation is nonsense. Either it needs to be modeled properly, full-on, or no point adding it at all.

I'd like to see the synthetic center line, line up with the synthetic runway and not float around like a lost azimuth steering cue.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3183828&postcount=35

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

My opinion is that since this is present in the real aircraft and that it's already partially implemented they will finish the functionality.

Also, quoting Zeus :

We can see here VTH and PCN, the two systems that are concerned by the synthetic runway.

It is not written if the synthetic runway is part of it, so I don't know for sure if it will be updated, but in my opinion it will :).

--

Off-topic:

I only asked you for a source and then said you were stating your opinion, not a fact (as you provided no source).

I did not want to attack you personally, sorry if it felt that way.

Oh man if it happens the Mirage will be my favorite module. Looks like there is still a chance that it will come!

• 6 months later...
I am wondering if synthetic runway approaches can already be set up in the cockpit without the need to pre-program them in the Mission Editor?

Not possible in DCS i.e. 2.5.6.43931

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 months later...