Laser bombs with TGP

Kirbs454

For those willing to use a workaround, I’ve been doing this with 95%+ success:

1. Start in AUTO and designate the target as usual.

2. When the release timer hits 15-20 seconds, switch to CCIP

3. Immediately pickle, then lase.

Allows you to maintain level flight and drop in the same manner as AUTO mode, just with an couple extra button pushes.

Done that as well...still no joy.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What’s the deal then Drac, bombs aren’t tracking the laser?

1. LTD/R armed prior (verify LTD/R arm shows on TGP DDI)?

2. Laser code entered on all pylons with GBUs, matching the pod code (verify code shows up underneath the pylons on stores page)?

3. Lasing after pickle (verifying it changes from “arm” on the TGP DDI?

4. You’re using TDC depress to mark the Target prior to release?

Edited by ArcLite

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

What’s the deal then Drac, bombs aren’t tracking the laser?

1. LTD/R armed prior (verify LTD/R arm shows on TGP DDI)?

2. Laser code entered on all pylons with GBUs, matching the pod code (verify code shows up underneath the pylons on stores page)?

3. Lasing after pickle (verifying it changes from “arm” on the TGP DDI?

4. You’re using TDC depress to mark the Target prior to release?

Roger...all that. I take note how far it misses after the first run. On the second run, I place the laser approximately how far away it missed....and boom...on target. For example, if it missed too far, I place the laser the approximate distance in front.

Edited by Drac

What about laser latching?
Its working fine and new update gave it more convinient way. I just need to press the trigger and not needed to hold it. Tracking moving (point track) target was fine. Got my GBU-12 destroyed moving Neutrashimy yesterday before patch and I admit have not tried it after newest update but I believe it should be ok.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Roger...all that. I take note how far it misses after the first run. On the second run, I place the laser approximately how far away it missed....and boom...on target. For example, if it missed too far, I place the laser the approximate distance in front.

Are you going into the HSI at the beginning of the mission and changing the elevation of all waypoints to 0 feet?

That's not really a work around. If that's how to get it to work its just as easy to load dumb bombs and CCIP them.

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

What's extremely odd is that while we were talking about this yesterday I was running a SP mission and had trouble with the release timer, but not with the bombs tracking the laser. Well then last night I'm in a MP server doing the exact same thing and the release cue was actually working fine but the bombs just went stupid and wouldn't fly to the laser. Oddness...

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Assigned laser to trigger with 'trig' on TGP DDI?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Drac is there any way you can record a clip for us? Radeon and Nvidia both have game capturing and then load that to YouTube. I think you were the one having track file corruption right? I feel like since most of us figured it out to be way point related that either there is something being lost In Translation it you have a corrupted or piece of a corrupted mod somewhere. You could try posting the log file too. You can see if there is an old mod causing issues most times with the log.

Drac is there any way you can record a clip for us? Radeon and Nvidia both have game capturing and then load that to YouTube. I think you were the one having track file corruption right? I feel like since most of us figured it out to be way point related that either there is something being lost In Translation it you have a corrupted or piece of a corrupted mod somewhere. You could try posting the log file too. You can see if there is an old mod causing issues most times with the log.

Wish I knew how to do all those things referenced.:) Hopefully someone with the same issue and capability to capture will post.

Specifically, what I was targeting is a SA-10 launcher from 20K using GBU-12. It hits close to the launcher, and in some cases damage occurs. I was hoping it would be a direct hit.

Edit: Just saw this post...will try setting waypoint to zero: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4010703&postcount=1

Edited by Drac

We need to have no WAYPOINT option boxed and not a waypoint near or over the intended target, I put all the bomb in the target last night in the 59th server.

What I’m trying to figure out is the laser code range values, they are not like in the harrier, is a different range. In the harrier I alway use some number that I can’t enter in the F18.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

So weird. I tried again last night with zero anything to do with waypoints and my bombs are still not tracking the laser and are missing by roughly 100 yards. Yet in SP they work fine...

Is there a way to tell what version of DCS a server is running? I wonder if the reason I'm having issues in MP and not SP is because that specific server is running an older version...

I'll have to try dropping some bombs in a server I know for a fact is running the latest beta and see if that solves my woes.

What I’m trying to figure out is the laser code range values, they are not like in the harrier, is a different range. In the harrier I alway use some number that I can’t enter in the F18.

This info on what codes are valid was posted in another thread (apologies to OP's of the info for lack of credit to them, can't remember where exactly where it was)

A GBU-12 laser code is set on the bomb using selector switches

• 1st digit = 1

• 2nd digit = 5-7

• 3rd and 4th = 1-8

So, I tried a different server and it was a totally different story. AUTO mode worked great as far as release timer goes and all my bombs tracked right to the laser. With that, it seams possible that something server-side can make things not work properly...?

Confirmed: when you set waypoint elevation to 0, LGBs in AUTO mode works perfectly, I`ve tried it this morning - 4 of 4 LGBs hit their target, 100% success.

Seems like there are a bug with waypoints elevation, when using LGBs in AUTO.

So for now just set WPT elevation to 0 via DATA/UFC page before bombing guys. Hope that helps.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

Why would this be a bug? For the mission computer to calculate an auto delivery it would need accurate elevation data. I never just set my tgt sptp elevation to 0, i set it to the actual elevation of the target.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

Why would this be a bug? For the mission computer to calculate an auto delivery it would need accurate elevation data. I never just set my tgt sptp elevation to 0, i set it to the actual elevation of the target.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Because we are bombing targets designated with the TPOD. Not waypoints. However the TPOD is making the tgt point elevation the same as whatever the nearby waypoint is. As it is right now you can’t have any steer points at an assigned elevation. You have to change them all to zero because you don’t know which steer point it is going to grab when you designate the target.