New Labels.lua adjusted for VR

RealDCSpilot

I took another shot at the labels config. Basically i turned them down to a much smaller, less intrusive dot, just enough to support visual spotting in VR. They will slowly fade away when distance is reduced. You can also turn all colors to black which will disable quick identifying of friend or foe.

Copy the file in C:\Users\-username-\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View set your game options to Labels: dot only.

Labels.lua

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Any chance of a version with colours to denote enemy or friendly.

In VR I have a much bigger issue with identification than spotting.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This version already has red/blue colors. To remove identification change all colors to black or whatever you want.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Cool. Will download when I’m back from my hols

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This version already has red/blue colors. To remove identification change all colors to black or whatever you want.

Interesting, this one is not working for me.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I took another shot at the labels config. Basically i turned them down to a much smaller, less intrusive dot, just enough to support visual spotting in VR. They will slowly fade away when distance is reduced. You can also turn all colors to black which will disable quick identifying of friend or foe.

Copy the file in C:\Users\-username-\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View set your game options to Labels: dot only.

Nothing else to say other than this is great work... I've been forced to toggle labels on/off all the time because the default ones are huge, blocky and obtrusive (even when set to Dot Only).. these are perfect just barely noticeable but super helpful in VR... and absolutely love how the fade to nothing in close. Great stuff thanks for posting!

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Maybe a bit off topic, but if you are using labels in VR, you may be interested by my mod : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134

I was too annoyed with labels beeing displayed above cockpit frame...

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 month later...

Anyone can help me with this issue, please?

whatever i change editing the labels.lua on ".../saved games/etc..", i only obtain that labels disappear. But if i copy the stock lables.lua file on the same directory, labels appears.

I tried also with Alec's file, same result: no labels at all...

Am i missing something?

Thanks

@baco30

Did you test this in Singleplayer? Check if your game settings are set to "Dot only". Another thing is, they depend on MP server settings, if labels are disabled you won't see them.

@baco30

Did you test this in Singleplayer? Check if your game settings are set to "Dot only". Another thing is, they depend on MP server settings, if labels are disabled you won't see them.

Hi Alec, thanks for your reply.

Actually I play only single player and the game setting is DOT ONLY...

What's weird is that so far i keep the stock file, labels works. But even if a change a single digit (for example on a [xxxxx] distance value) labels disappears....

Hi baco,

If it hasn't been mentioned already, make sure your using something like notepad++ to make any changes. Normal windows notepad will tend to add extra characters to the file which would corrupt the file.

Cheers

Sent using Tapatalk

MSI Z170X-Gaming 5, Intel 6700K, 32G RAM, RTX2080ti, Samsung SSD gaming drive, Samsung SSD System drive, RIFT CV1, TM Warthog Hotas, TPR peddles, Gamtrix Jetseat

Same here

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Not working without modification. Alec, have you taken into account the different resolution of VR headsets?. With HP Reverb, I don't see labels with your mod, because the font size is very small.

font_properties = {"DejaVuLGCSans.ttf", 2, 0, 0, 0}

If I change it for 10, I see the labels again.

Ah okay. I made it for the Valve Index, 1440x1600 per eye. But running at 2880x3200 per eye through supersampling. The dots should be appearing very small (size of "one" pixel) at about 10 miles away and slowly fading out if you come closer.

Edited by Alec Delorean