Seems the spring of AUTO BALANCE SWITCH has broken

Northwind

Seems the spring of AUTO BALANCE SWITCH has broken for a long time,or maybe broken part is the Electromagnet.smilewink.gif

In some cases, the switch does not rebound.

For example,when left fuel tank Fuel Quantity low and right fuel tank Fuel Quantity high,Right engine fuel system contains approx 550 pounds of fuel more than left engine fuel system.Turn AUTO BALANCE SWITCH to right,the switch does not rebound.

Edited by Northwind

I believe it stays to one side until the tanks have been balanced out. At least, that's how it works the whole time I've flown it. Whether this is correct to actual A/C, I do not know.

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

When left Fuel Quantity low and right Fuel Quantity high,turn the switch to right position(right low),will only consume fuel from the left tank,so it's will not be balanced.

In this case,the switch was rebound before,the switch will not remain in the right position,unless you hold it in right position.

When left Fuel Quantity low and right Fuel Quantity high,turn the switch to right position(right low),will only consume fuel from the left tank,so it's will not be balanced.

That's exactly the opposite way the RW manual describes the operation.

L LOW > opens the crossfeed valve and reverses rotation of left boost pump to provide fuel feeding from the right internal system.

If the left fuel quantity is lower than the right one, you have to move the auto balance switch to L LOW.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

That's exactly the opposite way the RW manual describes the operation.

L LOW > opens the crossfeed valve and reverses rotation of left boost pump to provide fuel feeding from the right internal system.

If the left fuel quantity is lower than the right one, you have to move the auto balance switch to L LOW.

Yes, of course, the correct operation is to move the switch to the left position(Left low).

But I am reporting the rebound problem of AUTO BALANCE SWITCH. In the above case,move the switch to the right position,the switch should rebound back to the middle position, the switch does not rebound now.

For example,when left fuel tank Fuel Quantity low and right fuel tank Fuel Quantity high,Right engine fuel system contains approx 550 pounds of fuel more than left engine fuel system.Turn AUTO BALANCE SWITCH to right,the switch does not rebound.

Not a bug, this is correct behavior. Per TO 1F-5E-1 there are 3 conditions which will stop autobalance operation...

1. fuel quantity pointers are within 50 to 125 lbs of each other
  2. the low fuel level float switch in the supplying tank closes for more than 10 seconds
  3. the crossfeed switch is moved to "crossfeed"

Any of these three conditions deenergizes the autobalance holding solenoid and the autobalance switch springs to center. There is no logic provided by the system to ensure that the switch is moved in the correct direction when balancing is started; the system only knows how to stop transfer once the fuel is balanced (essentially when the quantity pointers overlap), but until the fuel gets really low (low fuel float), the system doesn't know which tank is low; that is up to the pilot.

I have never tested the system feeding in the wrong direction, but if it used to work as the OP says, it sounds to me like maybe this used to be modeled incorrectly and has since been fixed.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I've had this happen a few times with air-start missions. I'll have L LOW, so I'll flip the auto-balance to L LOW. Commence BFM. 50% of the time, the switch resets to center. 50% of the time, the switch gets stuck in L LOW, and my right tank drains to nearly empty while the left is still nearly full.

I have never had it happen from ramp start missions.

I've had this happen a few times with air-start missions. I'll have L LOW, so I'll flip the auto-balance to L LOW. Commence BFM. 50% of the time, the switch resets to center. 50% of the time, the switch gets stuck in L LOW...

Fair enough, but that isn’t what the OP is talking about. He is specifically talking about intentionally selecting R LOW in the situation you describe above.

Multiplayer as Variable

I am not trying to be argumentative but the difference is clear. In posts 1, 3, and 5 he is specifically talking about the switch not resetting to center when intentionally selected to the wrong position. In post #7, he explicitly confirms this when clarifies with bbrz that he has no issues when he selects auto balance as designed (which is what you are talking about in post #9)— his issue is about how the system reacts when used as it is not designed.

Your issue would be a separate bug, as it would indicate improper operation of the system. If that is the case, it is obviously an issue, but it it not this issue. On the contrary, the OP is reporting behavior he believes is a bug but is proper operation per the -1.

Multiplayer as Variable

Well that took a lot of mental gymnastics to re-read and decode...

No argument there, I had to read through the thread several times before I waded in. Cheers

Multiplayer as Variable