Aiming with Vikhr

Avat

I'm probably doing something wrong here.

Vikhr rockets launch either from the left or right side. Every time I shoot I have to turn Ka50 a little, so Vikhr can get a lock.

While turning itself is not that annoying, oftentimes during hover I can't see the target markers on HUD and I have to lower the nose, which destabilises my hover.

How to do it properly?

Basically exactly as you do it, except for the nose-down. You don't need to see the target on the HUD, you have the shkval screen. Both the skhval and HUD will give you indication where (lesf/right) your camera is pointing, so when you have a lock on target just tur towards it untill the "C" appears, and fire (as long as you are within range, you get the distance every time you laze the target). The automatic turn to target doesn't have perfect pression so you almost always need a little pressure on the pedals.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Well, if you want a perfect lock ( i.e line up the vikhr to be fired perfectly into the laser cone ) you need to maneuver to put the two circles on your hud together. One within the other. Then fire. You can't always do this while maintaining hover.

In this video, you can see the pilot lining up the two circles. Small circle is the target marker. Large circle is the Vikhr firing cue. Put the vikhr firing cue over the small circle and then fire.

This gives you the best chance of capturing the Vikhr in the laser cone.

Edited by 3WA

Well, if you want a perfect lock ( i.e line up the vikhr to be fired perfectly into the laser cone ) you need to maneuver to put the two circles on your hud together. One within the other. Then fire. You can't always do this while maintaining hover.

In this video, you can see the pilot lining up the two circles. Small circle is the target marker. Large circle is the Vikhr firing cue. Put the vikhr firing cue over the small circle and then fire.

This gives you the best chance of capturing the Vikhr in the laser cone.

Correct, but as I mentioned in regards to OPs issue, if you don't see the circles it's sufficient to go by the "C" indication on both the HUD and the Shkval screen.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Doesn't really matter as the Shkval laser beam width is adjusted by missile time of flight. The beam is shaped so it will stay about 7 meters in diameter at the missile position.

That as well makes laser too weak to be detected by laser warning sensors until last couple seconds when beam is tight and target might then get a warning of laser emission. But at that moment target explodes so it doesn't matter anymore. This unless you range target itself with laser.....

So that cue circle is a illustration which side does missile come.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks. Is there any indicator which wing will shoot next? On HUD or instrument panel?
No, but it will continuously alter between sides. So if you see it being launched from the right, next one will be from the left, next after that right, and so on. I haven't bothered to learn whether it always launches the first one from the same side every time, or if it's random.

But since the sideward shift of the aming circles after each launch is rather small, only small corrections with pedals are necessary if target is the same or very close to last one. So if the "C" doesn't appear after a small yaw, do it in the other direction. But if you have seen from what side the last missile was launched, make the correction in that direction, i.e. if launched from right side, next one will come from the left, the circle will shift left, and yaw correction need to be to the right.

Edit:

Also, the sideward shift of th circle is immediate after launch, and the missile will fly for several seconds, so you can do the yaw correction while waiting for the first missile to do its job.

Edited by Holton181

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

And, if you hold down the trigger too long, the heli will launch 2 missiles, within like half a second of each other. So, it doesn't seem to matter much as long as the target was lined up with the missile cue circle. I don't think I've ever seen the second missile fail when I did it this way.

Thank you everyone.

I noticed that first rocket comes from the left wing, so when you bring 12 rockets, first one shoots from the left and you're left with 11 rockets, and that 11th rocket will shoot from the right and so on.

Even numbers - left side

Uneven numbers - right side

I think there is an indicator but I can't remember exactly where...

Maybe the front weapons panel?

Also...

You shouldn't be too locked into a hover anyway. Hovering is SUPER dangerous. Especially if the mission designer uses a lot of well skilled enemies :). The tanks will kill you with the main gun if you stay still. Move a lot :). Even while firing. Vikhr's provide extra fun when employed like a homing rocket :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 2 weeks later...
The HUD informs the side by swapping the circle side.

indeed,

perfectly thought out and a simple joy to use.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

You can use only your svhkal to do this, at the top you've one horizontal line with one triangle that indicate that your missile are orientated (at the moment that this triangle is at the middle of this horizontal line), in this moment the "C" symbol will appear at the left of your svhkal to proceed with the attac.

You need only little corrections with your rudder pedals to see this "C".

Your HUD is not neccesary to do this, is easier but not neccesary.

I5 4690K@4500ghz/24gb DDR3 ram/Evga GTX1070