LANTIRN and unguided bombs

Gneckes

Right now it seems the LANTIRN pod stores ballistics data for the GBU-10, -12, -16 and -24. As such, it's impossible to use it for dropping dumb bombs, as a kind of CCRP mode.

Now, I don't know if that's realistic or not, but if it isn't: could it be changed? And if not, any way to work around it?

As long as you use ordnance with similar characteristics, it sort of works.

I did some tests with some dumb bombs and they were quite successful (granted, not as successful as dropping them in CPTR PLT or CPTR TGT). It can be improved by adding a diving angle but at that point just go full manual and follow NATOPS delivery parameters.

full_tiny.pngfull_tiny.png
full_tiny.png

"Cogito, ergo RIO"
Virtual Backseaters Volume I: F-14 Radar Intercept Officer - Fifth Public Draft
Virtual Backseaters Volume II: F-4E Weapon Systems Officer - Internal Draft WIP

Phantom Phamiliarisation Video Series | F-4E/F-14 Kneeboard Pack

A CCRP drop is generally not precise enough for precision strike which the LANTIRN was integrated for.

For precision delivery of dumb bombs CCIP (Computer Pilot) would generally be preferred, CCRP (Computer Target) is intended for saturation/area bombing or toss bombing which is also quite inaccurate.

You could drop a carpet of bombs somewhere in the target are on level flight with the TGP. How effective that would be, no idea

You wouldnt really need a lantirn for that. Simply designate center of area as your computer target and drop away.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/