Laser code for LTD / R can't be set when switch is safe position

Martin2487

Thanks for the reply! Curious to see what you end up with and what you base the conclusion on.

21 hours ago, cofcorpse said:

There is already information to proof other point of view,

What does this mean? What is this other view, and what is pointing towards it?

20 hours ago, cofcorpse said:

We don't have any actual information, it was stated above. But it is already done, we used available information and logic, and to change it we need something solid.

(Assuming it wasn't just a typo) You used available information and logic, you say. However, you also state that you didn't have any information. So just "logic" then, whatever that means. Developer's best guess, I assume? (again, that's NOT a bad thing in itself, you can't double check everything, or you would get nowhere. As long as you don't get defensive about it when you're corrected, everything's great!)

"It's already done" could perhaps be a valid argument to keep it the way it was initially implemented (for now) IF a lot of work went into, it worked great already (albeit wrong), and changing it would require another big chunk of work (some radar features come to mind). That WOULD be reasonable. I don't think that's the case here though. This one shouldn't be a time-consuming or risky fix.

So just like Harker says, witness testimony by an expert (or three) is the best thing you got, and I do firmly believe it outweighs the developer's best guess. I suggest you embrace these people's willingness to help you out, or at least let us know why you think they all are wrong. I'm not saying they can't be, just that it doesn't seem likely.

21 hours ago, cofcorpse said:

Also, I didn't want to point that out, but in the attached conversation there is one thing that makes me think twice before using it.

Please let me know what that one thing is. I want to make sure these guys testimonies didn't get ruined by my stellar(!) MS Paint work or me asking the "wrong questions". 🙂 Because then I can try to do better.

I appreciate the reply by the way, and apologize if I sound harsh. Be sure my input is only meant to help you make the best product possible. I see no self-value in proving someone wrong. I just want to help you make an accurate computery-pew-pew-navy-plane, nothing else. ❤️ 

• Like 2

• ED Team

I'm sorry not expressing my thoughts clearly enough. I tried to clarify the stated position in more detail, but, it seems, I did not succeed, only added ambiguities. I have nothing to add to what BIGNEWY said.

To clarify my previous post. The topic contains many arguments in favor of your position, that laser code can be changed in safe position. Then I tried to explain that I disagree with the statement "unless there's documentation that explicitly states that something cannot be done, then common logic (it can be done in all other comparable aircraft) and witness testimony (three people with IRL experience) are the next best things".

I apologize if I speak harshly, English is not my first language as you might have noticed.

Thank you for your participation.

• 3 months later...

3 month bump. 🙂 What do you SMEs say? I have yet to see anything indicating that the laser needs to be armed for you to be able to change laser code. It makes no logical sense, there is no documentation presented that it works this way, and several Hornet drivers have confirmed the laser does not need to be armed to change the code. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bankler said:

3 month bump. 🙂 What do you SMEs say? I have yet to see anything indicating that the laser needs to be armed for you to be able to change laser code. It makes no logical sense, there is no documentation presented that it works this way, and several Hornet drivers have confirmed the laser does not need to be armed to change the code. 

Not to mention several videos which show the ATFLIR with the LTD/R code visible, without the laser being armed. It is also visible while in A/A mode.

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the 'arming needed for setting' is a Spanish software thing. Especially when you realise that the current mechanisation of code setting in ATFLIR (UFC>LTD/LST) is also probably a Spanish thing. The mechanisation described by the pilots I've spoken to is that press UFC will box the codes and whichever code is boxed (or both) will be the code that changes when you enter a code in the UFC.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

• 5 months later...
On 11/8/2021 at 10:37 PM, Harker said:

Not to mention several videos which show the ATFLIR with the LTD/R code visible, without the laser being armed. It is also visible while in A/A mode.

Could you post those please, Harker?

ED, this is still not fixed despite the error being confirmed by multiple Hornet pilots. And no quotes from your own SMEs. It's a quite annoying bug since it stops you from setting up mission critical things while on the ground.

If you still doubt that it's currently wrongly implemented, please let us know what kind of evidence you need to be convinced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bankler said:

Could you post those please, Harker?

ED, this is still not fixed despite the error being confirmed by multiple Hornet pilots. And no quotes from your own SMEs. It's a quite annoying bug since it stops you from setting up mission critical things while on the ground.

If you still doubt that it's currently wrongly implemented, please let us know what kind of evidence you need to be convinced.

Also, it's worth mentioning Switft's comment above is accurate as far as video evidence goes. There are many clips from cruise videos showing a box around one of the laser codes. It might be a misunderstanding of what the UFC option does, and when it is available. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...