Proper AI Close Formation

Matt_j25

Hi all,

I’m not sure the correct place to post this, but I would like to suggest one day if the formation of the AI could be improved to fly a lot closer to you as well as let us fly formation off of them more closer it would be a game changer, especially for realistic military flying in the sim.

If anyone from ED sees this post it would be greatly appreciated if you consider integrating this idea into improving DCS in the future.

Thanks

:)

Matt Jensen

i7 8700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10, 1TB SSD, Saitek X-55 Rhino, Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5 Pro Clip

They used to be able to get REAL close back around version 1.1-1.2. Then they changed things. The response was that they had no intention of the AI being able to fly like the Blue Angels.

All of the aircraft in this picture are AI, all set to follow the tanker (Screenshot timestamp: Thursday, ‎June ‎19, ‎2014, ‏‎3:54:10 PM) .

qP4Jnst.jpg

Using the follow command, I have been able to get them as close as about 100 feet on any 2 axis. Any closer and you risk collisions or erratic behavior from the AI.

(EDIT: Had misremembered, was around 1.2 that it changed.)

Edited by Shahdoh

Maybe ED removed the AI close formations, to mask the fact that the AI flight models are not correct (e.g. idiotic angle of attack when at same speeds). With your wingman at 1000ft distance, this fact is less striking.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH