VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

Things changed in the config due to various new features and sometimes the quick start guide is not promptly updated.

In this respect I think I've fond the proper equilibrium and I don't expect big changes anymore (except for new feature of course).

To answer some more questions:

- Tablets (and specifically Ipads): I left the tablets options because of the lack of sustainable use cases. I know many of you already have tablets, but it is a huge effort to support both worlds and everybody that tested the tablet (at the time) then quickly moved to the pen tablet. I know that someone may want to try, but I suggest trying the app without the pen, and then consider buying a pen tablet.

- current support is for kneeboards embedded into missions (DCS Briefings also, but not yet released). The image import in the stable version is broken, but already fixed in the test version. You can access it in preview via Discord if you want to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Things changed in the config due to various new features and sometimes the quick start guide is not promptly updated.

In this respect I think I've fond the proper equilibrium and I don't expect big changes anymore (except for new feature of course).

Do you plan to continue the support of the Leap Motion? I had one when they first came out but sold it and I'm curious to see how far they have came. The DCS Oculus Touch controller support isn't bad, it just can be a pain to figure out where to set them down and pick them back up.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Hello everyone, now I have also bought an intuos Bluetooth S tablet from Wacom. Thank you very much to the creator of VRK!

Unfortunately, however, I cannot assign the four buttons on the tablet. How does it work? Furthermore, how can I assign the two buttons on the pen myself?

Thank you very much for a detailed description!

Greetings

Werner

In wacom software, set the buttons as application controlled. Then in VRK software assign the buttons as you see fit. Examples are in the readme document in the download.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks Panther, I've already done as described in the VRK quick manual. However, when I click on an empty line it turns red and I cannot assign any buttons from the intuos S. They don't appear for selection. So when I click a button, nothing happens anyway, I'm doing something wrong. Just have to practice until it works.

Thank you for your help.

Werner

Care to share a screen shot of what you see? I have the same tablet minus the bluetooth, and didn't experience that. However, I have not updated to latest version.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

First of all THANK YOU for a great product! it is what every VR user needs!

Hi

First of all THANK YOU for a great product! it is what every VR user needs!

I am not the most tech savy user , and the the issues below are probably my fault but ...

I am in the process of setting this up, and I have a few questions

1/ As it apears the kneeboards apear to need to be shown in different positions (just slightly) in each plane , is the best way to do this to have a profile for each Plane ?

2/ if So ... it appears that I need to load the Profile and the layout seperatly? Is that right? I would have thought they would be linked

3/ I am having trouble getting the "DCS" Tab to link, I can navigate to the folder but its alway "open" not select?

Hope to hear from you soon, and apreciate any assistance you can offer

WoodDuck

Queensland Aust

Discord WoodDuck#6551

Intel i7-8700 32mb Ram, Gtx 1080, TM Warthog HOTAS, Rift Cv1

Hi,

I'm also new to VRK.

AFAIK: In a profil you can set a default layout which is loaded.

So for me it make sense to create a profile for each plane with a start icon on my desktop. If you want to use different position it make even more sense to create such profiles.

But it is also possible to load other layout later if you change the aircraft. I've not tested to load another profile later while in game, but I think this is also possible.

BTW: Thank you very much Rider for your efforts to create this great tool!!!

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Version 1.3.3.20 is available for download

This version contains a number of relevant new features and fixes. It should have been called 1.4, nonetheless it is an important step forward.

Over the previous release the big one is the HW acceleration for the renderding. It brings the pen-to-VR latency down improving the feeling and the writing.

This feature is a big change and may have some side effects. In SteamVR flickering has already been reported and already partially resolved At the current state it should not be annoying (if not, please report again).

DPI scaling has been fixed, you will notice that kneeboard size will be larger than before (128% of the original size). Now size is correct.

WinTab (Wacom) users should now deselect the Relative buttons in their config. This is really important from now on. If you are experiencing low sentivity please change the Pen Tip feel from Wacom Tablet Properties. Mind that the relative buttons is deprecated and will be removed from available features.

For the lovers of DCS integration, mission (and coalition) briefings are now imported, see the quick start guide (DCS Integration chapter) for details about coalition.

Changelog:

[1.3.3.20]

[NEW] HW accelerated rendering

[NEW] Bookmarks functions

[NEW] Pages merging in context menu

[NEW] Eraser support as button 9 (preliminar)

[NEW] DCS briefing loading (preliminar)

[FIX] Wintab crashing on relative buttons configuration change

[FIX] DPI and image loading

[FIX] Oculus not making KB transparent

[CHG] VR Refresh limited to 30 fps

[CHG] VR Refresh performance improvements

[CHG] WinTab will behave like 1.3.3.08 in a single tablet configuration

Official download location: https://www.amvi.it/download429-vr-kneeboard.html

Donation link: https://tinyurl.com/vrk-donate

Discord: https://discord.gg/mxqSSa4

I would like to thank all VRK supporters for their donations and suggestions!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

Amvi Rider :thumbup:

Does anybody have any tips for night flights and using the kneeboard? Do you just use it as is or do you modify it somehow to make it less bright?

I mapped the brightness controls to some of my tablet buttons for inflight adjustments.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How to properly update VRK from old version without loosing settings ? Just run the installer to the same location of previous install?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

If you are upgrading from 1.3.3.07 (included) or newer you can just install the new version and your setting will be there.

Mind the size change, that's something you have to change manually.

If you want to be sure, make a backup copy of: C:\Users\<windows_username>\VRK\Profiles

I mapped the brightness controls to some of my tablet buttons for inflight adjustments.

Panther suggestion is the way. If you have Cougar MFCDs you can map VRK brightness control to brightness/contrast/sym/gain switches. That's convenient and saves precious tablet buttons.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Had a little mission tonight and used VRK as usual. I finally managed to get my VR performance to a nice smooth level but tonight I noticed I was getting stutters and garbled looking screen (as if DCS was stuggling to load textures). After playing around for a bit I noticed that it was VRK that was causing the stutters. So annoyed....this is my favourite program/add on for DCS and I love using it but the stutters usually occur during times I need the image to be smooth, like take-off.

I tried removing all the checklists and maps loaded in VRK but that didnt make a difference.

Any tips on how I can optimise performance of VRK with DCS and get rid of stutters?

I play Open Beta 2.5.6 (with the latest patch)

Module is F16 in Nevada theater.

Hardware is : AMD Ryzen 5 3500

Nvidia 2080 Super

32 Gb 3600 mhz ram

SSD NVMe drive

Headset is HP Reverb.

Had a little mission tonight and used VRK as usual. I finally managed to get my VR performance to a nice smooth level but tonight I noticed I was getting stutters and garbled looking screen (as if DCS was stuggling to load textures). After playing around for a bit I noticed that it was VRK that was causing the stutters. So annoyed....this is my favourite program/add on for DCS and I love using it but the stutters usually occur during times I need the image to be smooth, like take-off.

I tried removing all the checklists and maps loaded in VRK but that didnt make a difference.

Any tips on how I can optimise performance of VRK with DCS and get rid of stutters?

I play Open Beta 2.5.6 (with the latest patch)

Module is F16 in Nevada theater.

Hardware is : AMD Ryzen 5 3500

Nvidia 2080 Super

32 Gb 3600 mhz ram

SSD NVMe drive

Headset is HP Reverb.

There are some things you can check

1. check how much RAM is used by VRK. Latest version improved a lot the RAM usage but since VRK moved from 64 bit you can go well beyond normal RAM usage without noticing if you load many pages documents

2. avoid leaving your pen over the tablet: this will cause a constant triggering of kneeboard refresh

3. check you video RAM usage. Stuttering sometime happens because of that. Removing VRK is just freeing some video RAM improving the running condition

Generally speaking VRK is designed to not interfere with DCS: if you don't move the pen VRK does not render anything as the image is already uploaded to SteamVR overlay. Then the compositor work is not a huge problem for your GPU. Also, VRK is runinng in a "free" core without disturbing the core that is used by DCS.

I have a similar system (with only the 3600X being faster than your 3500) and the 1080Ti is keeping the Rift S with no stutters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

I upgraded to .20 last night and have a small issue. I've been playing with it some but haven't been using it much because I was waiting for my H640P to get here. Between ordering it I had to reinstall Windows and then VRK .17ish.

Last night after installing .20, I think I got a good not installed warning, I looked at the listed directory and it was still the proper saved games fl\DCS folder, hit install hooks. But even have reboot I'm not getting the mission briefing autoload. I also unchecked this box, restarted VRK and rechecked it.

I vaguely remember before that this created the "DCS" tab (or whatever you labeled it next to the autoload box). I'm not getting that tab as well. However I can't remember if I had that tabe before upgrading to .20 last night. I know I had it when I setup before the recent Windows install, but not sure after since K knew the H640P was coming I was waiting to build the kneeboards and such. Anything else I need to do to get the autoload mission briefing to work?

Overall though, with my H640P it shows the genius of this program! I'm also trying to get a Leap Motion to try that part out. I'll be sending hopefully the first of multiple donations your way Rider, keep up the great work!

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Is there a possibility to use the virtual kneeboard with a surface tablet as it has also pen support?

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I believe you have to use the older server/client software. I think only the drawing tablets are supported in the current builds because they are easier to setup and have less issues. So far I'm impressed with my H640P at only $40USD.

Hello, and thank you for this incredible app. After switching to 1.3.3.20 however I've lost the ability to bind any of my pen buttons for any purpose and I get the error "A function mapping with this input combination already exists" I didnt have a problem with the previous version. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

I upgraded to .20 last night and have a small issue. I've been playing with it some but haven't been using it much because I was waiting for my H640P to get here. Between ordering it I had to reinstall Windows and then VRK .17ish.

Last night after installing .20, I think I got a good not installed warning, I looked at the listed directory and it was still the proper saved games fl\DCS folder, hit install hooks. But even have reboot I'm not getting the mission briefing autoload. I also unchecked this box, restarted VRK and rechecked it.

I vaguely remember before that this created the "DCS" tab (or whatever you labeled it next to the autoload box). I'm not getting that tab as well. However I can't remember if I had that tabe before upgrading to .20 last night. I know I had it when I setup before the recent Windows install, but not sure after since K knew the H640P was coming I was waiting to build the kneeboards and such. Anything else I need to do to get the autoload mission briefing to work?

Overall though, with my H640P it shows the genius of this program! I'm also trying to get a Leap Motion to try that part out. I'll be sending hopefully the first of multiple donations your way Rider, keep up the great work!

The .20 complaining about "wrong" hook is because the script has been upgraded to support briefings. Probably a better wording is needed there.

Just going into configuration and "Install hooks" will upgrade the script (maybe better wording there also).

If you open the hook script which version do you see?

Hello, and thank you for this incredible app. After switching to 1.3.3.20 however I've lost the ability to bind any of my pen buttons for any purpose and I get the error "A function mapping with this input combination already exists" I didnt have a problem with the previous version. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

To debug this I need a log, if you don't mind loosing the settings you can erase the profiles forlder ( C:\Users\<win_username>\VRK<Profiles ) and it will revert to a working state.

Gnerally speaking: I'm in the middle of a product release, so I'm a bit overloaded of activities. This is why I've some latency in replying to posts and messages. Let me get out of this and I will get back to support and fix as usual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

The .20 complaining about "wrong" hook is because the script has been upgraded to support briefings. Probably a better wording is needed there.

Just going into configuration and "Install hooks" will upgrade the script (maybe better wording there also).

If you open the hook script which version do you see?...

Gnerally speaking: I'm in the middle of a product release, so I'm a bit overloaded of activities. This is why I've some latency in replying to posts and messages. Let me get out of this and I will get back to support and fix as usual.

Since then I have noticed I will get a "xxxx BRIEFING" tab intermittently, xxxx being the word I have for autoload tab prefix name. But even the same mission that I first saw it pop up in (and a few others), will on consistently cause the tabe to appear and when it does switching between missions in game will not update the tab, it is still whichever mission was loaded into the tab. I've been trying to replicate what actually makes it appear and can't pin it down yet.

My VrkGameGui.lua version line is "VRK - Startup v1.0.3.8"

I saw over on discord about your release, focus on that! I posted up here just for more community feedback. No big hurry, everything else seems to be working well for me. Maybe a few more stutters as someone else mentioned, but not a show stopper for me.

I believe there may be a bug with the latest version. When clicking apply even without editing any settings, causes the VRK window to resize (width shrinks). This causes the text to shrink and look distorted. I did not have this issue in the previous version. Version is 1.3.3.20

Update on my autoload mission brief issue. If your tab isn't coming up, try entering the mission, then quit, and then hit "fly again."