VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

Highly recommend the Huion H640P. It is affordable, not too big, not too little, mappable buttons to help out with VRK. You just need to make sure you follow the install instructions in the guide and use Rider's custom driver, you don't need to ever install the Huion ones for VRK use.

That's one of the tablets I'm looking at, the price and buttons definitely are a plus. The length is what concerns me; I fly centre-stick and wouldn't want it to get in the way mounted on the knee. The other is the Intuos S, which has a similarly-sized active area, but smaller overall size and wireless, but at nearly double the cost here.

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

That's one of the tablets I'm looking at, the price and buttons definitely are a plus. The length is what concerns me; I fly centre-stick and wouldn't want it to get in the way mounted on the knee. The other is the Intuos S, which has a similarly-sized active area, but smaller overall size and wireless, but at nearly double the cost here.

VRK is setup to you the longer side inline with your thigh, not across, like real life kneeboard/tablets in flight (like portrait layout). It can be setup to go longer across the thigh (landscape) but it honestly works better the traditional way. Using this way doesn't get in the way of my center mount. You can see the edge of my Virpil T-50CM2 base in the picture I attached, you can also see the "kneeboard" bracket I use to hold it in place so I added a picture of just that as well.

20200526_071431(1).thumb.jpg.2effd2c131f4528a3da4deccee8ac545.jpg

20200526_071354(1).thumb.jpg.cf4edbcd3fa92c916343b5fa3b809d31.jpg

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

VRK is setup to you the longer side inline with your thigh, not across, like real life kneeboard/tablets in flight (like portrait layout). It can be setup to go longer across the thigh (landscape) but it honestly works better the traditional way. Using this way doesn't get in the way of my center mount. You can see the edge of my Virpil T-50CM2 base in the picture I attached, you can also see the "kneeboard" bracket I use to hold it in place so I added a picture of just that as well.

Thanks for the pictures, they really help to visualise. Of course I would use it in the same orientation as you, I meant that because I rest my arm on my thigh, and the angle of my leg in relation to the stick, it might interfere with my arm/wrist. I sit in a very low chair with my pedals more in front, than below my seat, so my knees come up angled quite a bit compared to sitting in a desk chair, and this geometry affects where on my arm sits on my thigh.

An A5 sized kneeboard would be fine, for example, but I for something longer like the H640P, I might need part of it hanging off beyond the end of my knee, rather than closer to/under my arm.

I'll create a template using the H640P dimensions, and see what works. I'm probably overthinking all of this. Thanks again for the help!

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

Thanks for the pictures, they really help to visualise. Of course I would use it in the same orientation as you, I meant that because I rest my arm on my thigh, and the angle of my leg in relation to the stick, it might interfere with my arm/wrist. I sit in a very low chair with my pedals more in front, than below my seat, so my knees come up angled quite a bit compared to sitting in a desk chair, and this geometry affects where on my arm sits on my thigh.

An A5 sized kneeboard would be fine, for example, but I for something longer like the H640P, I might need part of it hanging off beyond the end of my knee, rather than closer to/under my arm.

I'll create a template using the H640P dimensions, and see what works. I'm probably overthinking all of this. Thanks again for the help!

Oh yeah, being left handed, I didn't think of that. One of the few times in my life I can say "right handed people problems" :megalol: The H640P needs the pen to detect writing so you can rest your arm on it as long as it is comfortable for you. Your arm shouldn't hit the forward located buttons though.

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

Thank you AMVI Rider. I have been using this for a month now and it has changed my VR experience. I am using an old WACOM Bamboo strapped to my realworld kneeboard and it works flawlessly.

No more pausing the sim to check mission freqs, Lifting the HMD to peek at pdfs/printouts, or struggling to copy nine line data. Ic ando it all from within sim.

You Sir, are a genius!

@AvmRider - Great software...working flawlessly for me. Do you have a paypal link set up so I can at least buy you a few beers or coffee?

Click on the Configuration icon (gear with wrench) and there is a donate button for PayPal.

[sOLVED] VRK Start Error: LibrOvrDet32.dll missing

Hi,

I have two issues with VRK/DCS - DCS Updater:

1. VRK

just installed VRK driver for HUION H640P (VRK Custom Driver Setup 1.0.3.07) and VRK 1.3.3.20.

So far, everything worked fine.

But - when I start VRK tool I get an error message. LibrOvrDet32 is missing (see screenshot). VRK doesn't appear in DCS VR mode.

What did I do wrong? windows .Net is up to date.

2. DCS Updater

According to the Quick Start Guide of VRK the configuration of DCS has to have the path to the .exe. I run two installations of DCS. 2.5.5 stable and 2.5.6. open beta.

I can't put the .exe file of the OB version of DCS into the path dialog within VRK because there ISN'T an .exe file in the DCS path... :noexpression:

And second problem is: when I launch DCS from within VRK as mentioned in the manual then my DCS updater opens.

I guess something went wrong.... :helpsmilie:

Maybe somebody may help me....

Kind regards

Robert

[sOLVED] I failed to activate “Custom Driver” mode :cry:

987990912_Screenshot2020-06-1214_35_00.thumb.png.96afb029c54ab6b62a4855eed8b35b06.png

Edited by shd1hornet
[SOLVED]

It is still possible to use this with a Surface?

I happen to have my hands on an older one and would like to try this before deciding what to do with it.

Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

But - when I start VRK tool I get an error message. LibrOvrDet32 is missing (see screenshot). VRK doesn't appear in DCS VR mode.

[sOLVED] I failed to activate “Custom Driver” mode :cry:

You should not poiunt the DCS_Updater exe but the DCS exe which is in the bin directory. Mind that you should launch DCS_Updater manually from time to time to let DCS update.

It is still possible to use this with a Surface?

I happen to have my hands on an older one and would like to try this before deciding what to do with it.

Thanks

It is possilble with the old 1.2 version which is not supported anymore => No new features

Generally speaking I advise to avoid tablets because because of the weight, thickness and the value of the device. I already hit my tablet several times against the desk/stick mount and the risk of scratching/breaking the display is real.

The Surface, in particular, is more expensive and generates some heat (per reports, I don't own any).

If you can afford the graphics tablet, you'll have the best solution (for VRK) in your hands.

Anyway... Link to 1.2 is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wy0M4-Vq4YC7HMq2lRNTif2YMWuUwQIv

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Just stumbled across this and I think it's a great tool to have. Now I've got a reason to get a graphics tablet... rdlaugh.png

I wish it would be possible to do this with Samsung Galaxy Note series, or the Tab series that have a pen (having the N3, N9 and Tab S6 here), or iPads / Surfaces with pens for that matter.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome software just got it running and it works really well. Just a question I can’t seem to find the answer to, can I just run one kneeboard? I can’t seem to find an option in the configuration menu. I’m probably looking right at it but can’t find it?

Thanks

Just pulled the trigger on a H640P for VRK. Looking forward to giving it a try!

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

There is no on/off option for the 2nd kneeboard, but you can do it by: setting the Width to 0 for the one you want to disappear and Active Kneeboard Switching mode to Manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

• 2 weeks later...

What would the beast Graphics tablet be I have got a Wacom blue tooth but there is bad latency

and Bluetooth keeps disconnecting

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I grabbed the Wacom Intuos S without BLE. Works great and is small enough to fit on a pilots kneeboard.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

The S Bluetooth can be used also in USB mode.

Latency and disconnections may be resolved by putting the BT dongle closer with an USB extension or hub (if you are using an USB dongle).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ya computer is only 3 feet from desk with built in BT so if I use USB kind of defeats the purpose of having BT so will send it back and get without blue tooth and save 30 bucks. Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

• 4 weeks later...

This is an amazing app, thanks.

Though I have two questions :

First, I'm unable to click on next / previous page in the kneeboard is it normal? I guess I can handle that by adding keystrokes but that could be useful to be able to just click.

Second, that could be great to be able to have completely different position settings when focused and out of focus, so to have the kneeboard on our knee, as it should be, but when we focus on it to have it display in front of our windscreen for easier reading.

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

This is an amazing app, thanks.

Though I have two questions :

First, I'm unable to click on next / previous page in the kneeboard is it normal? I guess I can handle that by adding keystrokes but that could be useful to be able to just click.

Second, that could be great to be able to have completely different position settings when focused and out of focus, so to have the kneeboard on our knee, as it should be, but when we focus on it to have it display in front of our windscreen for easier reading.

Thanks

In DCS, VRK is only controlled by a drawing tablet, like my Huion H640P which I highly recommend at about $40USD.

To make it more like standard DCS kneeboards, you could change the position of the kneeboards to where you want and hide the with the "Toogle VR" input binding of tablet/pen buttons in the Input tab of the setting window. Rider was going for the realistic feel of the kneeboards in your lap, which I appreciate.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Oh ok so we need a tablet to use it.

But isn't it kinda strange to have to use a real tablet in VR? I mean, will you see the pen inside DCS, and the tablet as well, to know where it is? Or you have to put the real tablet and the virtual one at the same place to be able to easily find it?

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Ho btw does it mean you should tie the tablet on your knee like a real kneeboard? :)

Oh ok so we need a tablet to use it.

But isn't it kinda strange to have to use a real tablet in VR? I mean, will you see the pen inside DCS, and the tablet as well, to know where it is? Or you have to put the real tablet and the virtual one at the same place to be able to easily find it?

Ho btw does it mean you should tie the tablet on your knee like a real kneeboard? :)

They are drawing tablet design for artists that want to use a pen input for their computer. See this post for mine: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4365978&postcount=427

This app is trying to replicate the real life interface of a kneeboard/EFB.