VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

Did you make this kneeboard bracket yourself?

As I was a real plane student i have a real kneeboard, wonder if I can fit it on :)

What I wonder is how you find the stylus when you need it. Do the stylus position appear in the VR world? Doubt it as there is no positioning on the stylus. So in fact I wonder how you move the stylus to the button you want to click on. You slide it on the tablet till the cursor is in place?

Oh and... do you use a single tablet/pen for the two kneeboards? Or do you use just one kneeboard? Unsure what they use in real life for military, but for civilian real flights I doubt they use two kneeboards :)

Thanks

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

Did you make this kneeboard bracket yourself?

As I was a real plane student i have a real kneeboard, wonder if I can fit it on :)

What I wonder is how you find the stylus when you need it. Do the stylus position appear in the VR world? Doubt it as there is no positioning on the stylus. So in fact I wonder how you move the stylus to the button you want to click on. You slide it on the tablet till the cursor is in place?

Oh and... do you use a single tablet/pen for the two kneeboards? Or do you use just one kneeboard? Unsure what they use in real life for military, but for civilian real flights I doubt they use two kneeboards :)

Thanks

In regards to that mount, honestly most of the time I don't use it, in my cockpit the tablet doesn't move that much because I have limited space to move my legs around. One of my real life students figured out she could use that to hold her iPad for Foreflight but then she got a yoke mount and gave it to me. It is actually a portable DVD player fabric headrest mount, but works really well for that purpose. I could also place the tablet on my standard flying kneeboard, but even in the actual airplane I usually just rest my EFB Android tablet on my leg and only pull out the kneeboard on IFR flights since the majority of my flights are private pilot students. So yes, I generally don't have stuff on both legs when I'm flying in real life, but sometimes since I'm still old school enough I like physically write clearances and such on my kneeboard, that will be on my left thigh and my EFB tablet will be on my right (I'm left handed).

The stylus will make crosshairs on the VRK kneeboards as the pen gets within a few mm and then start drawing and will actually make heavier strokes the harder you press. At the tabs or bookmarks on the edges it will go back to being crosshairs and you just tap them with the pen and it will change to them or you can bund the buttons you see on mine for that navigation as well.

VRK will automatically let you draw on which side kneeboard you have focused on with one drawing tablet or you can buy two if you want.

Edited by Snake122

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

When I was a pilot student I used to have a kneeboard to have airport charts for when I have to land or approach any airport.

Now I do not fly anymore so I use flight sim as an alternative :)

That would be great to have such a tool (VRK) in the upcoming microsoft flight simulator :)

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

• 1 month later...

Hi is there a fix coming for the memory leak issue with VRK? During a 132nd Virtual Wing mission on Sunday two of us had phenomenal stuttering which went away after we closed down VRK. Memory leak confirmed. Would be great if this could be rectified please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitch:

My Specs:

i7 8700K, 32gig Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz, 2080ti, Obutto R3volution, VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro EN, Warthog Throttle, Saitek Combat Pedals, Oculus Rift S

MMSOBGYTAST!

Hi is there a fix coming for the memory leak issue with VRK? During a 132nd Virtual Wing mission on Sunday two of us had phenomenal stuttering which went away after we closed down VRK. Memory leak confirmed. Would be great if this could be rectified please.
There is a fix coming. If you follow the Discord or GitHub, there is a RC that is being tested.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

There is a fix coming. If you follow the Discord or GitHub, there is a RC that is being tested.

A little follow up: the latest version (V 1.4.3.07) contains the fix for the memory leak which was part of SteamVR code.

I stopped posting changelogs here, but you can find them in the Discord server or GitHub release.

Regarding FS2020 is highly likely that SteamVR will work day 1. Given the design of the sim I think that injecting Oculus into it will be very hard (harder than DCS and others). Time will tell, but, again, I'm very disappointed to see how closed is their API (compared to SteamVR).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

The new version has some new neat features like a calculator tab as well.

Also for those of you that have a H640P and your tablet buttons aren't working but stylus buttons are, there is a little lock switch on the narrow side opposite of the buttons that will stop them from working

@AMVI_Rider

Absolutely love VRK. But unfortunately it seems to cause crashes with DCS when I'm playing Syria Blue Flag online (haven't had any problems with any other map or mission so far, but haven't done extensive testing). I'm using VRK with Intuos S. I know this might be nigh impossible thing to track down, but if there's any information I could provide to possibly help fixing, let me know.

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

@AMVI_Rider

Absolutely love VRK. But unfortunately it seems to cause crashes with DCS when I'm playing Syria Blue Flag online (haven't had any problems with any other map or mission so far, but haven't done extensive testing). I'm using VRK with Intuos S. I know this might be nigh impossible thing to track down, but if there's any information I could provide to possibly help fixing, let me know.

Yes me too. Implossible to load.

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

After help from Rider, I removed the VRK hooks from DCS (delete / rename VrkGameGui.lua at <Windows install drive>:\Users\<UserName>\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts\Hooks\). At least so far this seems to have fixed the crashes. I'll keep testing.

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

Just a quick update, the above didn't work completely. Still getting crashes / freeze. Rider said he's looking into it (but the bug might be difficult to pinpoint...)

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple months I finally started flying in VR more regularly. Of course I reinstalled VRK.

Awesome Updates in those times. Two Kneeboards are awesome. Worked great.

Looking forward for my Reverg G2 to get rid of the Oculus Software. This should improve the VRK usage even more.

Thanks Rider!

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

No beacuse as soon as VRK tries to probe SteamVR, it completely starts and probing is necessary to be done at VRK startup

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Author of DCSMP and VRK

Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti

Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker

35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S

2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green

Looking forward for my Reverg G2 to get rid of the Oculus Software. This should improve the VRK usage even more.

Thanks Rider!

I use VRK with an Oculus Quest and Link. It's… finicky and I am too looking forward to the G2. The application however is a total game changer for me. Thanks Rider!

For learning aircraft I would like to import the manuals or even Chucks guides into VRK. The manual actually work because the aspect ratio is compatible. Could you add an option to jump to a specific page? Importing the table of contents of a pdf is probably a bit more work, but that would solve the problem, too.

Ok, so searching for "OTT" and "Oculus Tray Tool" returned nothing, thus the question.

I have set up and started using the application, which is nothing short of amazing, especially with a cheap Huion 640P (had it been wireless, it would have been perfect).

Anyway, I normally have my pixel density / SS set at 1.5 from within OTT.

Now the question is: how does this interact with PD set in VRK? For example, I also have it set at 1.5 in VRK, but setting still see a PD of 1 in DCS (via the OTT overlay).

Disabling OTT's PD setting doesn't do anything.

Putting VRK's SS on 1x and setting OTT on 1.5 seems to produce the expected results.

Ontop, seems like if I start DCS from within VRK with any OTT overlay visible, VRK cannot draw the kneeboards.

So the "solution" would be: use OTT PD/SS and leave VRK's SS off.

I still see a lot of jagged lines with the kneeboards, but probably those are due to a different rendering technique for those? Or is it that VRK SS only applies to the kneeboards?

No Idea how this is supposed to work tho...

Hey guys,

I know it is a bit off-topic, but can someone help me to use VRK with Xplane11 ? (or is there a thread on another forum somewhere else for this ?)

I have a rift CV1 & I use VRK without issues on other steamVR tittles (il2). But with Xplane the kneeboards aren't rendered ass soon as the sim is started (they are rendered fine the the SteamVR home environement), I start Xplane with the "Launch Xplane in VR with SteamVR" option on steam tough, sso not sure whaat else I could do wrong ?

No experience with the XPlane thing. But from what I read its mostly related to used 3d Mode (DirectX or OpenGL).

I would recommend you jump on the discord and ask Rider directly... he is very responsive and helpful.

Discord Link

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Hello,

First of all I'd like to thank the author of this mod because it's flippin awesome. I am however encountering an issue with the calculator tab, it seems my pen cursor just stops updating it's position when I enter that page. I am using a Wacom One (2017) tablet on the left kneeboard only (left handed).

Thanks again,

Rex

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello,

First of all I'd like to thank the author of this mod because it's flippin awesome. I am however encountering an issue with the calculator tab, it seems my pen cursor just stops updating it's position when I enter that page. I am using a Wacom One (2017) tablet on the left kneeboard only (left handed).

Thanks again,

Rex

I just experienced that this weekend too. Had no issues on any other tabs. Made the calculator impossible to use. I do plan on reinstalling the tablet drivers, just in case it’s a culprit but that won’t come until next week some time. I just went to Windows 10 build 2004, and wonder if that is causing some issues as well, I had put the update off for other issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I just experienced that this weekend too. Had no issues on any other tabs. Made the calculator impossible to use. I do plan on reinstalling the tablet drivers, just in case it’s a culprit but that won’t come until next week some time. I just went to Windows 10 build 2004, and wonder if that is causing some issues as well, I had put the update off for other issues.

I have the same issue using a Huion HS64 with a new install of VRK - I like playing pin the tail on the donkey trying to work out whether I am pressing a calculator key

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

From what I know, it is a known bug, at least I think I remember from his discord.

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

calc.png.afeebbd3819a925b16a35dbc47204f3e.png

Win10 Pro | i7-9700K @5.0GHz | 2080 Super @2160MHz | 32GB DDR4 3600 | DCS on 1TB M.2 NVME | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswinds V2 | HP Reverb | Huion 640P | Jetpad FSE | PointCTRL

• 3 weeks later...