VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

AMVI_Rider

VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support  

169 members have voted

1. 1. VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support

• Yes
    • No

Hi, just installed VRK ... great to be able to take notes in VR!    

However I seems to have a pb using a Wacom One tablet

In single Player, the performance impact is non visible however on a multiplayer server it sucks fps to a point where it is not playable (am latest VRK version and 2.7 latest patch).  

In MP, making the VRK visible once is sometimes ok but switching it off then back on spikes the frametime to hundreds of ms ...dropping fps to unplayable levels. Switching it off again restores frametime and fps to normal level.  

Edit:  Seems this only happens with 1 kneeboard enabled.  If both are enabled then the impact is much much smaller. ...I wish but no... 

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, for your problem, unselect "Autoload Mission Kneeboard" and remove the hook here : %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\VrkGameGui.lua

This script refresh VRK all frames.

For me I have some VRK freeze when I use Mig21 and Viggen (random time)

It's strange, I don't have this freeze with other airplanes and freeze stop when I restart VRK when I fly, somebody have this problem ?

EDIT : Add the good filename 🙂

Edited by Frigondin Duglu

On 2/27/2021 at 11:22 AM, AMVI_Rider said:

There's a bug that causes VRK to show only Blue infos. IT is already fixed and will be delivered with next version.

I can't find a proper way to deliver a good mouse experience. As you already know "capturing" the mouse will make DCS unresponsive to flight controls, on the other side getting mouse events "in parallel" can lead to unwanted clicks in DCS cockpit.

The middle-tier solution is to use DCS scratchpad to take text notes and have them displayed in VRK.

How can we do that?

On 5/5/2021 at 8:02 AM, Frigondin Duglu said:

Hello, for your problem, unselect "Autoload Mission Kneeboard" and remove the hook here : %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks\DCS-SRS-hook.lua

This script refresh VRK all frames.

For me I have some VRK freeze when I use Mig21 and Viggen (random time)

It's strange, I don't have this freeze with other airplanes and freeze stop when I restart VRK when I fly, somebody have this problem ?

tried removing the hook DCS-SRS ... SRS was not connecting anymore when going MP. Is it not the VRK hook that need removing?

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

Hi,

Just to say got this all up and running in HP G2 (WMR) with a new Wacom tablet in half a day with no real problems.

It's absolutely awesome to be able to take notes! I'm on a mission to not access any DCS popups at all, so far so good.

Being an ex software developer, I have to say this is a tremendous piece of work. Better than a lot of work we did as professionals !!

Thank you and well done. I must buy you a beer 🙂

• Like 3

I saw this posted about in Hoggit and have a tablet around that i almost never use, thought that sounds clever as well. But i am not sure what i am missing, i can't get my H610PRO to assign. I have the custom driver installed, I see PenTablet in USB (details say driver provider VRK version 1.0.3.7) but it just doesn't do anything... do i need WinTab? Or some checkbox i missed in VRK to make it see the thing? Or it just won't work with this tablet (it is kinda big too...)?

• 3 weeks later...

*****UPDATE****  Uninstalled Steam and reinstalled.  Fixed the issue.

Downloaded VKR.  Set it up per the guide.  Can pull it up outside of DCS in WMR and steam.  When I start DCS, I get this stack-based buffer issue.  Everything shuts off.  Reverb G1 is being used and without VKR everything works.  Any ideas? 

# -------------- 20210606-213716 --------------
DCS/2.7.1.7139 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.19043)
D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\GraphicsVista.dll
# C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at A36C3C1B 00:00000000
SymInit: Symbol-SearchPath: '.;D:\DCS World OpenBeta;D:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;SRV*C:\websymbols*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols;', symOptions: 528, UserName: 'cxxx'
OS-Version: 10.0.19043 () 0x100-0x1
0x0000000000023C1B (GraphicsVista): Graphics::MaterialPtr::release + 0x1B
0x0000000000031170 (GraphicsVista): Graphics::RenderObjectDyn::~RenderObjectDyn + 0x30
0x00000000002C7090 (CockpitBase): cockpit::ceMeshPoly::~ceMeshPoly + 0x20
0x00000000002A2BDE (CockpitBase): cockpit::ceSimpleLineObject::operator= + 0x58E
0x00000000002B49E7 (CockpitBase): cockpit::ccIndicatorPage::~ccIndicatorPage + 0x47
0x0000000000186ACE (CockpitBase): cockpit::opacity_material::operator= + 0x1ECE
0x00000000002AA823 (CockpitBase): cockpit::ccIndicator::~ccIndicator + 0x63
0x00000000002A1B4F (CockpitBase): cockpit::ccChart::~ccChart + 0xEF
0x00000000002A2A7E (CockpitBase): cockpit::ceSimpleLineObject::operator= + 0x42E
0x000000000019A3E6 (CockpitBase): cockpit::binding_context + 0x306
0x000000000019F9D0 (CockpitBase): cockpit::ccCockpitContext::release + 0xC0
0x0000000000176EFC (CockpitBase): cockpit::ccCockpitContext::is_main + 0x15C
0x0000000000326797 (CockpitBase): cockpit::VR_capture_holder::update_capture + 0xE757
0x0000000000019A1D (ntdll): RtlActivateActivationContextUnsafeFast + 0x11D
0x000000000005DB91 (ntdll): LdrShutdownProcess + 0x141
0x000000000005DA2D (ntdll): RtlExitUserProcess + 0xAD
0x000000000001E0AB (KERNEL32): FatalExit + 0xB
0x00000000000205BC (ucrtbase): exit + 0x1DC
0x000000000002045F (ucrtbase): exit + 0x7F
0x0000000000A07F50 (DCS): SW + 0x717450
0x0000000000017034 (KERNEL32): BaseThreadInitThunk + 0x14
0x0000000000052651 (ntdll): RtlUserThreadStart + 0x21

VRK.PNG

Edited by Fathom

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

332nd Expeditionary Force

147th Fighter Wing

111th Fighter Squadron

Gorgas.airforce

Ran into an issue last night, posting in case anyone else runs into it.

Absolutely love this mod, I can't play DCS without it. Had an Wacom Intuous S, decided to upgrade to the Pro to get more buttons and the multi-touch.

Could not get VRK to recognize it when I clicked Assign. Had same settings for new tablet as the one before (that was working great). Re-installed VRK, re-installed Wacom, same deal.

Plugged in previous tablet in parallel. Then I *could* get the Pro to be recognized when I clicked Assign in VRK.. but then it was like it was using the dimensions from the non-Pro, where only the top 25% of the tablet surface would register.

Completely uninstalled the Wacom software and removed the tablet devices in Device Manager. Rebooted as part of the Wacom uninstall. Re-installed Wacom, rebooted again as part of that. Then VRK picked up new tablet fine and is working.

Not able to assign the Eraser on the Pro Pen 2 to anything in VRK, even with it being set in the Wacom software to throw a keypress. Also not able to customize the circle Express Button in the middle, but that's on Wacom as I can't find a way to assign it to anything.

VRK did pick up the multi-touch events and the touch ring rotations fine when they are assigned as keystrokes. Got all this stuff sorted late so haven't tried it in DCS yet. Thinking I'll have five-finger swipe down as show/hide the kneeboard. Four-finger swipe up and down as next/prev pages. Three finger tap as change tab. Touch ring clockwise/counter for brightness. Then that frees up the expresskeys to do other things like dcs core kneeboard controls.

Feature requests:

+ Natively support the Eraser on the Pro Pen, and the Touch Ring on the Pro.

+ Input assignment options to select stroke types.

+ Input assignment option to create new page.

+ Settings option to hide the toolbar (thinking if I can set pen buttons to stroke types, and have gestures for next/prev page, etc, then having toolbar shown is superfluous).

+ When pulling in Mission Briefing, also pull in the Mission Objectives section. Sometimes that has useful info that'd be nice to have in the kneeboard by default.

+ Pull in or generate maps like the core kneeboard does. It'd be awesome to have those there by default and be able to annotate on them.

Edited by Munkwolf

• 2 months later...

Lately I've been having terrible input lag. Essentially if the VRK app is focused, it runs great. If it's in the background and DCS is focused, it's virtually unusable, and I never used to have this problem. 

I'm running a single kneeboard with just a notes page. Any ideas?

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

I'm fighting with big performance issues as well.

VRK works in a somewhat cramped scenario quiet well until something happens. This something can be a radio call, a command I'm giving to Jester etc. Then stutterfest happens.

I got one of the buttons mapped to hide vrk, which immediately restores performance.

I watched task manager and it seems that stuff is written into the normal ram during the bad performance happens. I see some copy activity in the Nvidia panel while my 12GB of Vram being kept full. After that copy action completed, performance is most of the time back.

All in all only 0.6 GB of shared ram is used.

Checked all over the net to find a solution, to no joy. 

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

Hallo!

Could I request to have option of supersampling to have "undersampling"?

My, and my fellas biggest issue is the performance of the drawing. I've notices that I had 1.5 in supersampling, lowered it to 1.0 and it got much better, so maybe 0.75 wouldn't create such a lag behind input and what i see on screen? And it would be still readable.

I also don't know would it be possible to set this in steam vr (as custom vr resolution), but that sounds also like a solution.

Other then that, It's very nice program. Not sure sometimes how it works, but I would have to dig deeper into it 😉

Best!

Madog

I'm also having very, very severe impacts in multiplayer (like dropping from 45 to <5 fps, resolved by toggling VRK off). Made sure the hook script is not installed and that auto-load mission is disabled. 5800X, 3080, 64GB, NVMe, HUION H640P.

Any suggestions or ways I can provide further information? I'd love to be able to use this app.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems to me, that there is a memory (vram) problem in dcs. As soon as it gets "full" with vrk running it starts to get stutterfest. It helps to restart vrk during flight (did a VA voice command). The task monitor shows some copy action of the GPU going on. 

My feeling is, there is DCS to blame for bad vram handling, but that is just a uneducated guess. 

I run a 3080ti with 12gb of vram. 

I do not think VKB is the problem with VRAM not being released.   With me It was there before I installed VKB and often became worse when you respawned into the same or another aircraft.  Resetting seated position in SVR sorted things for the most part but sometimes a complete restart of WMR & SVR was required.  Yes it could be DCS or WMR / Steam.  Often, on quitting DCS to desktop the GPU is still running full chat with WMR portal open, so yes VRAM is held somewhere.

I have only had VKB running this past fortnight and it is great with no performance hits at all..... but we are all running differrent CPUs, GPUs, MBs, Memory, etc let alone the OC's...  With latest steam beta software it is happening much less.

YMMV

SIGBLOCK.png

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent and very useful application. However, while able to switch between KB1 and KB2 and cycle through the pages using my mouse, the application will only do so in desktop mode. As soon as I go to VR (Windows 10, Vive Pro), while VRKneeboard does show up it will not switch between KB's or cycle through the pages. I have tried several "combinations" but am unable to get it working as intended. Anyone else having run into this issue and possibly came up with a solution?

Murdok.

Think of VKB as separate from DCS and not 'within' the game like the DCS Kneeboard hence the mouse is focussed only within DCS when flying.  If using a tablet then the pen works fine as does configuring keyboard keys or if you have spare controller buttons you can assign those .... all these are outside of the DCS GUI.  VoiceAttack using assigned keyboard combinations is another way.

Hope this helps some....

SIGBLOCK.png

• 2 weeks later...

Great tool!

Is there an option to hide all buttons/tabs/menu's, just to have the kneeboard page(s) only in sight? It otherwise takes up a lot of real estate.

Thanks

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

When VRK is running is anyone else getting blue screens of death on their G2, or SteamVR crashes, mostly when loading up a busy mission or a campaign.

VRK just isn't working for me anymore and DCS just freezes upon loading into the cockpit. I didn't have this issue until recently.

DCS runs fine when VRK isn't open and sometimes VRK works ok in simple training missions or instant actions.

VRK is also giving me issues with the G2 inside multiplayer. Did a 4-ship formation training tonight and everytime I opened the kneeboard it messed with my frames. It somehow is also very hard for my eyes to switch focus when moving eyesight between the kneeboard and the CDU (within A-10C). I repositioned the kneeboard, resized it, changed the height, pitch and angle of the kneeboard to perfectly align with the CDU and to make it as readable as posible. But it stays weird and messy. Also experience jaggies in the kneeboard's horizontal lines. Will circle back to my Vaicom Kneeboard, which is for me personally is much easier for the eyes, even though it can not be angled and positioned like VRK can.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 2:55 AM, NobiWan said:

Hi all,

great app!

Is there a way to move the focus point (the point where you have to look at to make the kneeboard grow) from the middle of the kneeboard to an area higher than that?

I like the default position of the kneeboard but I need to bow my head very much down to activate them. Once activated I can lift my head again to read which feels unnatural to me.

Would be nice if the kneeboard activates earlier when looking down.

Thanks and cheers!

NobiWan

Hi, did you find a solution for this? I too have this problem...