Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Loving the ability to have persistence in this mission! Huge leap forward for DCS.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

v113 is up.

Changelog v113

- Due to the result of recent testing in multiplayer environments, all AI flights (red and blue) will now start from the air

- Due to the above, the timings between red squadron spawns have been lengthened slightly

- To stop catastrophic mayhem on the carrier deck when all 8 slots spawn at once, Hornets will start on the catapults and Tomcats will start parking hot, this is to hopefully avoid them spawning on top of each other

- Carrier decorative static aircraft on elevator 1 removed due to the reasons above

- 20 new missions targets added, this will not affect anyones persistent world progress. There are now 120 missions total.

- AI Pinpoint strikes can now be called to Bandar Lengeh

- Saleh/Bukha/Bukha West/Mubarek/Fateh oilfields added because I felt like it, credit to MacadamCow for the location of Fateh/Mubarek oilfields

Note: I am going to see if I can come up with something later down the line so that if you are running it in single player the AI flights start from the ground for immersion, and start from the air if it is running in multiplayer. I didn't really want to have to make it air starts but too many issues come up in multiplayer otherwise.

I love the mission. It was a little frustrating to get shot down by a Mig31 while refueling right over the carrier group. Didn't bother shooting at the S3 tanker, just me. Didn't have enough fuel to do anything, I just thought that I would have some protection right over the carrier. Guess not.

Great mission, other than that.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

500gb EVO 960 NVMe SSD Windows

I love the mission. It was a little frustrating to get shot down by a Mig31 while refueling right over the carrier group. Didn't bother shooting at the S3 tanker, just me. Didn't have enough fuel to do anything, I just thought that I would have some protection right over the carrier. Guess not.

Great mission, other than that.

Did you have fleet tomcats or hornets enabled to cover the fleet area? Also the carrier group will launch SAM's at red planes that come within 40km of the boat, but MiG-31 probably launched on you from further out than that (they're nasty). I highly recommend you use the F10 menu to enable either the fleet tomcats or hornets to help you :thumbup:

Hey there mate!

tried your mission last night, 1 suggestion, please, add at least 1 WPT to harriers, there is a bug that doesn't let manually add them on the fly when there is only a "WPT 0" on the mission editor.

A good practice is to add a WPT just over the Bullseye and assign it to it on the group configuration window (the one that let you change laser codes, add NVG, etc)

Hey there mate!

tried your mission last night, 1 suggestion, please, add at least 1 WPT to harriers, there is a bug that doesn't let manually add them on the fly when there is only a "WPT 0" on the mission editor.

A good practice is to add a WPT just over the Bullseye and assign it to it on the group configuration window (the one that let you change laser codes, add NVG, etc)

As in 'waypoint bullseye' and set it to Waypoint 1 ?

Edit: This is one of the various reasons I don't fly Harriers ...

Edited by Surrexen

I won't be using that method as I've got my own zone around the carrier.

oh, it's ok, but i was talking about protect the players doing the refueling process.

@Habu: it's on moose develop branch, idk why frank doesn't promote his work... but it's another module made by him, its a better "missile trainer" IMHO.

https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS_DEVELOP/Documentation/Functional.FOX.html

Reach me out @ moose discord, read the docs on that link, or ask frank, don't want to hijack this thread. :)

oh, it's ok, but i was talking about protect the players doing the refueling process.

@Habu: it's on moose develop branch, idk why frank doesn't promote his work... but it's another module made by him, its a better "missile trainer" IMHO.

https://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE_DOCS_DEVELOP/Documentation/Functional.FOX.html

Reach me out @ moose discord, read the docs on that link, or ask frank, don't want to hijack this thread. :)

OK Tx.

Does the unit persistence only work if you open the Mission in MP? I play SP (and change my Wingmen to AI) and just run it through the Mission Builder...I got the Mission Complete message, landed back at the Carrier, but saw no new LUA fles in the MIZ file. Just curious if I was screwing something up.

Yes I've commented out the "sanitizeModule('os')" and "sanitizeModule('io')" sections. I play the DCE stuff, too...so they were actually already removed.

Does the unit persistence only work if you open the Mission in MP? I play SP (and change my Wingmen to AI) and just run it through the Mission Builder...I got the Mission Complete message, landed back at the Carrier, but saw no new LUA fles in the MIZ file. Just curious if I was screwing something up.

Yes I've commented out the "sanitizeModule('os')" and "sanitizeModule('io')" sections. I play the DCE stuff, too...so they were actually already removed.

The created lua files don't end up in the .miz file, they will end up in the root folder of your DCS installation. Works in single or multi.

I am currently in the process of re-writing a number of functions and have found what I think is a reasonable solution to the problem of air starts for multiplayer and having ground starts for single player as an option for those that prefer it that way. There will be a flag setting in the mission editor (I'll just call it Game Mode so it is easy to find) that will be set to 0 by default and will run the mission in multiplayer mode (AI will use air starts). If this flag is set to 1, then the mission will run in single player mode (AI will use ground starts). That way server admins won't freak out that people could change the settings via the radio menu, and it is a very simple change to make inside the editor for those that want to run it in single player mode.

I am currently in the process of re-writing a number of functions and have found what I think is a reasonable solution to the problem of air starts for multiplayer and having ground starts for single player as an option for those that prefer it that way. There will be a flag setting in the mission editor (I'll just call it Game Mode so it is easy to find) that will be set to 0 by default and will run the mission in multiplayer mode (AI will use air starts). If this flag is set to 1, then the mission will run in single player mode (AI will use ground starts). That way server admins won't freak out that people could change the settings via the radio menu, and it is a very simple change to make inside the editor for those that want to run it in single player mode.

As a SP only user, I'd prefer it the other way around :P.. but ah well, I'll change it in the ME then ;)

By the way, when one of the allied flights is shot down, am I the only person thinking about this guy?

latest?cb=20111108222610

oh Jezus Christ!

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Look like this instead:

do

sanitizeModule('os')

--sanitizeModule('io')

--sanitizeModule('lfs')

require = nil

loadlib = nil

end

In DCE you need to put -- in front of the os and io module.

Is it correct your mission needs -- in front of the io and lfs module?

Just checking, because I'm not seeing any lua scripts in my root folder.

In DCE you need to put -- in front of the os and io module.

Is it correct your mission needs -- in front of the io and lfs module?

Just checking, because I'm not seeing any lua scripts in my root folder.

This isn't DCE, I have no idea how DCE does it as I have never used it. You only need 'lfs' and 'io' to be remarked out. The .lua files that get created get put in the DCS installation folder. Not the saved games folder. The files for Snowfox are called SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua and SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua.

Let me know how you go :thumbup:

Yes, that works. Great, thanks :thumbup:

Another question, how do I know which sector is which? Do I need to look at the map (F10) for that?

To learn where the sector names are yes probably look at the F10 map. It won't take you long to learn them. The mission briefing contains which sector the target is in, and the target report will give you the bearing, range etc to target so that should help you find your way around.

I was hoping to get an update out when the F-16 dropped but ED inconveniently made the release day on a day I'm going away, so the update will have to wait until I get back early next week :doh:

F-16's are here!

Changelog v115

- Important: One of the units names had to be changed (Bandar Khamir power plant) to work with the new logic for the pinpoint strike missions. Because of this, I would highly recommend you remove your progress files for the world persistency and start over from scratch to avoid any potential issues.

- F-16CM bl.50 added to Ras Al Khaimah (4 slots) and Sharjah (4 slots). Loaded with HEI-T gun ammo and no fuel tanks since we can't jettison them yet

- F/A-18C added to Sharjah (4 slots)

- F-14B added to Sharjah (4 slots)

- Plane tail numbers slightly adjusted

- More efficient code

- Pinpoint strikes can now attack ground units (the current mission target must be in the sector they were called to)

- F-15E added to the roster for pinpoint strike planes

- GameMode flag switch added which will swap the game mode between multiplayer (air starts for AI) and single player (ground starts for AI)

Note: To change the game mode into single player, go into the triggers in the mission editor and change the flag value for flag 10000 to 1 and re-save the mission (see the screenshot). The game mode is set to 0 by default which will start the mission in multiplayer mode.

Screen_191007_233232.thumb.png.3e99705587b48d1f2b60e7e259551f25.png

Edited by Surrexen

Eager to try this mission out tonight on my private servers, but just for clarification, is it just the server that needs to do the following or do all the clients need to do it too??

Thanks

"Ok so here is the deal. Persistence is very possible, but it would require people to de-sanitize 'lfs' and 'io' which is part of MissionScripting.lua in their installations. This allows for the exporting of data from the mission into a file that can then be loaded at mission start. I imagine some people may already do this to get things like TacView to load? Anyway ... it is very possible to add it in. I figure if people are comfortable with this then I can implement it for a future version.

The downside to this is that if you want to start the mission again 'from scratch' you would need to delete the exported data before starting up the mission.

How do people feel about this? Feedback is definitely required for this one."