Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Was going to ask a question or two myself if you don’t mind Surrexen?

The first one is sort of similar to what sirrah was asking, is it possible to have Troops in Contact missions? Ie SF units with a JTAC caught in a fire fight, no units following waypoints required so maybe not a big impact on performance? Even with the little knowledge of the ME I have I can imagine this could be a rather complicated thing to pull off (how do you make sure the fire fight isn’t long over before you can get there for example?)

The other thing was, are you likely to keep the major SAM sites where they are? I only ask because I’m in the process of creating kneeboards with the coordinates of the units in each battery, with distances between units and such for setting up my jdam/jsow pp info. If there likely to get moved I probably shouldn’t bother. :)

Thanks for your hard work ������

In response to your first question, I have something special planned. You'll just have to wait until it's ready but it isn't exactly like what you described.

Yes major SAM sites are in their real-world locations (as much as what I could research) with the exception of the Bandar Lengeh SA-11 which was put in to cover the Russian operations out of that airbase (a little creative license was required). Also like I have said before, the SA-10 at Bandar Abbas will be changed for the real-world SA-5 system as soon as the SA-5 comes out, so when re-placing that one it is likely the coordinates will change slightly.

Into which folder do I install this .miz file?

I tried the "C:\Users\User\Saved Games\DCS\Missions" path to no avail ("The Round Table" runs fine from the same path).

Thanks.

That should be fine. For Snowfox you need the Persian Gulf map though, so if you don't own that map then it won't show up in your list.

Likewise Operation Jupiter requires Normandy + WW2 Assets, and Operation Secret Squirrel requires the WW2 assets pack.

That should be fine. For Snowfox you need the Persian Gulf map though, so if you don't own that map then it won't show up in your list.

Likewise Operation Jupiter requires Normandy + WW2 Assets, and Operation Secret Squirrel requires the WW2 assets pack.

Boy, I'm stupid! For some reason I equated the Caucasus with the Persian Gulf...

Thanks mate :D

Hey Surrexen - I'm having an issue in this mission. The game crashes to desktop when I pickle either the GBU-31, GBU-31V(3)/B or the GBU-16. I've tested a couple other missions and I can pickle those bombs no problem so it appears it's happening in just this mission.

I was thinking it might be related to the custom scripting around the custom pickle sounds so I removed the Snowfox Deathwatch.lua script load trigger in the Mission Editor and tested again and it still crashes.

Surrexen - are there any other scripts or events you are tapping into that would occur the instant you "pickle" those weapons. I can get it to crash to desktop 100% with those bombs.

Question - is anyone else out there seeing this crash or issue with just those specific bombs?

I've repaired DCS and even reset my DCS.OpenBeta saved games folder and no dice.

Interested to know if you have any ideas or if I'm the only one experiencing an issue with those bombs?

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

Hey Surrexen - I'm having an issue in this mission. The game crashes to desktop when I pickle either the GBU-31, GBU-31V(3)/B or the GBU-16. I've tested a couple other missions and I can pickle those bombs no problem so it appears it's happening in just this mission.

I was thinking it might be related to the custom scripting around the custom pickle sounds so I removed the Snowfox Deathwatch.lua script load trigger in the Mission Editor and tested again and it still crashes.

Surrexen - are there any other scripts or events you are tapping into that would occur the instant you "pickle" those weapons. I can get it to crash to desktop 100% with those bombs.

Question - is anyone else out there seeing this crash or issue with just those specific bombs?

I've repaired DCS and even reset my DCS.OpenBeta saved games folder and no dice.

Interested to know if you have any ideas or if I'm the only one experiencing an issue with those bombs?

Which plane are you dropping them from and I'll go test it out, haven't used a GBU-31 for a while, last time out I used GBU-12's no problem though.

Which plane are you dropping them from and I'll go test it out, haven't used a GBU-31 for a while, last time out I used GBU-12's no problem though.

F/A-18... it appears to only crash with 2000lbs bombs the GBU-31s (both variants using TOO node), and GBU-16...

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

F/A-18... it appears to only crash with 2000lbs bombs the GBU-31s (both variants using TOO node), and GBU-16...

Just tested GBU-31 from Hornet in PP mode and wiped out the Qeshm Island drone control tower ... looks good on this end. If you took out the deathwatch.lua script and it is still crashing it isn't the mission causing it. Must be something else.

Edit: Might be related to this possibly .. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254535 ... only guessing though. Maybe try launching in PP mode and see what happens.

Edited by Surrexen

Interesting ok thanks for trying. I’ll try PP mode the. I’m going to re-download your mission.. perhaps something is corrupted.

Interesting ok thanks for trying. I’ll try PP mode the. I’m going to re-download your mission.. perhaps something is corrupted.

No worries, let me know how you go. I'll test TOO mode a little bit later as well.

Edit: Works fine for me in TOO mode as well. Maybe try doing a repair and give it another go.

Edited by Surrexen

Hello good sir. Quick question. Are the A2A spawns automatic? Loaded up an Su-27 last night and it would only give me ground missions. Figured maybe for A2A I just have to go look for them?

Thanks!

1. You don't get specific 'air missions' in this scenario. All mission goals are ground targets. It is assumed you will deal with the air assets as part of the mission.

2. There should be 5 CAP groups, 1 GCI group, and a Red Bomber group. Usually they are all up in the air after about 10-15 minutes or so.

3. If none of the above groups are spawning after having waited for 15 minutes, check the GameMode flag in the editor didn't get changed to something other than 0 or 1.

Edited by Surrexen

No worries, let me know how you go. I'll test TOO mode a little bit later as well.

Edit: Works fine for me in TOO mode as well. Maybe try doing a repair and give it another go.

Man that’s so weird. I did a repair and reset the Openbeta saved games folder too. Oh well, I’ll keep playing around with it. Thanks for confirming!!

Surrexen,

Thanks for this great mission. I'm currently using it in FA-18 and with persitency. I have cleaned out Abu Musa Island from all ground targets. Now when I get back into the mission, on SA page, the 15 over AbuMusa is still present even that there is no more targets on the Island (double checked with Tacview). Any Idea ?

Also, the D/L of Stennis flight 2, 3, or 4, cannot remember is set to 167, not 127, is that correct (I usually switch it back to 127 or advise my wingmen to do so) ?

Win 10 | i7 8700 Coffee Lake OC @ 4.9Ghz | 32Go Ram | 1080Ti | DCS on SSD | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Rudder | TrackIr 5 Pro

Surrexen,

Thanks for this great mission. I'm currently using it in FA-18 and with persitency. I have cleaned out Abu Musa Island from all ground targets. Now when I get back into the mission, on SA page, the 15 over AbuMusa is still present even that there is no more targets on the Island (double checked with Tacview). Any Idea ?

Also, the D/L of Stennis flight 2, 3, or 4, cannot remember is set to 167, not 127, is that correct (I usually switch it back to 127 or advise my wingmen to do so) ?

Yeah this is normal. The SA page gets it's data for SAM site locations at mission start (like the data cartridge was prepared before you click 'fly'), before the persistency script can remove the units from the map. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do about that one.

Edit: I've just jumped in to look at the D/L of the Stennis Hornets, for me when I switch the D/L on for each plane it is set to 127. This isn't something you can set in the editor either so I'm not sure why it's showing up different for you.

Edited by Surrexen

Yeah this is normal. The SA page gets it's data for SAM site locations at mission start (like the data cartridge was prepared before you click 'fly'), before the persistency script can remove the units from the map. Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do about that one.

Edit: I've just jumped in to look at the D/L of the Stennis Hornets, for me when I switch the D/L on for each plane it is set to 127. This isn't something you can set in the editor either so I'm not sure why it's showing up different for you.

Hey Surrexen - if I (or another person) were to have made a mission that is hosted in a MP server - would simply using the mission scripting that you provided (adding the -- to each of those two lines) make the mission retain progress like it does in single player?

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Hey Surrexen - if I (or another person) were to have made a mission that is hosted in a MP server - would simply using the mission scripting that you provided (adding the -- to each of those two lines) make the mission retain progress like it does in single player?

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

You will need to adjust some things in the scripts, but the script doesn't care if it's running single player or multiplayer. When running in multiplayer, only the host needs to worry about the de-sanitization process as only the host machine will generate the lua files etc. The host machine will also need file permissions in the appropriate folders to be able to write the files out. All the usual things.

Hi Surrexen

I have been flying Snowfox a lot lately, in an attempt to clear out all opposing ground forces (thanks to that awesome save function!! :thumbup:)

Main trouble I'm having to deal with, are enemy cap patrols. There are in fact so many, that I'm having a very hard time picking out ground targets/SAM's. Which is totally cool by the way. It shouldn't be too easy.

One thing though. What exactly are the Khasab CAP Vipers and F-18 and 14 fleet defenders supposed to do? Are they only defending a very limited range around Khasab and the carrier?

I ask this because I haven't seen them get into action so far. Even when enemy aircraft came as close to somewhere in between Qeshm and Khasab (I was kinda hoping they would come and protect me while I was making my "mach1-winchester-tail-between-my-legs" escape back to Khasab :P), but they just kept doing their orbit.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH