Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Hi Surrexen

I have been flying Snowfox a lot lately, in an attempt to clear out all opposing ground forces (thanks to that awesome save function!! :thumbup:)

Main trouble I'm having to deal with, are enemy cap patrols. There are in fact so many, that I'm having a very hard time picking out ground targets/SAM's. Which is totally cool by the way. It shouldn't be too easy.

One thing though. What exactly are the Khasab CAP Vipers and F-18 and 14 fleet defenders supposed to do? Are they only defending a very limited range around Khasab and the carrier?

I ask this because I haven't seen them get into action so far. Even when enemy aircraft came as close to somewhere in between Qeshm and Khasab (I was kinda hoping they would come and protect me while I was making my "mach1-winchester-tail-between-my-legs" escape back to Khasab :P), but they just kept doing their orbit.

Yeah those groups are on carrier/base defence and are on a fairly tight leash for obvious reasons. They definitely do attack things that get within their set ranges. The F-16's often trigger 'border disputes' and as a general rule the fleet defence planes do a pretty good job of keeping the area around the carrier relatively clear.

I had made a small change in the scripts to do with red/blue air in the last update that I actually think is making all the AI planes slightly less aggressive which I have undone and that fix will be out once I've got this JF-17 in the hangar.

v118 is up

Changelog v118:

- JF-17 added

- UH-1H added

- Radio call-in's for MQ-9 Predator aerial drones that can act as JTAC's for the called sector, be advised the drones will have to fly from near Khasab to the target sector to give some semblance of realism. The drones are invisible/immortal to make up for the travel time.

- Some minor script adjustments

Sorry if asked before, bit could you explain how to load version 118 while also keeping progress made in version 117?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So long as you leave the generated lua files alone, just launch it as normal and it will continue on.

You're right, it did :thumbup:

So, I tried version 118.

Some feedback:

Great to have the Huey available, but the distance from Khasab to the area(s) of operations is just way to far to enjoy. The fact that 90% of the flight is oversea, doesn't help with that either. Frustration gets to a maximum when being shot down just when you arrive near enemy ground units :P

Just an idea (without having any knowledge of scripting): It would be awesome if we were able to take off with our Huey somewhere on Qeshm. Would it maybe be possible to make an FOB/FARP base spawn on Qeshm Island as soon as enemy SAM sites there are killed. That would however mean, that the Huey only comes available after clearing all SAMs.

I have no idea though, if the above suggestion would be even possible with scripting...

Anyways; I think by now this mission is among my top 3 of missions with best replay value!! :pilotfly:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

You're right, it did :thumbup:

So, I tried version 118.

Some feedback:

Great to have the Huey available, but the distance from Khasab to the area(s) of operations is just way to far to enjoy. The fact that 90% of the flight is oversea, doesn't help with that either. Frustration gets to a maximum when being shot down just when you arrive near enemy ground units :P

Just an idea (without having any knowledge of scripting): It would be awesome if we were able to take off with our Huey somewhere on Qeshm. Would it maybe be possible to make an FOB/FARP base spawn on Qeshm Island as soon as enemy SAM sites there are killed. That would however mean, that the Huey only comes available after clearing all SAMs.

I have no idea though, if the above suggestion would be even possible with scripting...

Anyways; I think by now this mission is among my top 3 of missions with best replay value!! :pilotfly:

Helo missions in Snowfox and Clear Field are tough because the air dispatcher will vector bad guys to you once you are in Iranian air space. If you time your attack and call CAP support at the appropriate time it can be done though. I have already said, sticking FARPs everywhere in these missions would not be very realistic.

I have spent several weeks smashing my head on the keyboard trying to figure out how to make helo's work well in these missions and came very close to having some extremely cool things to add in, but unfortunately once I plugged all the code into dynamic situations the thing fell over due to pathfinding issues (it worked perfect in single scenarios). I have had to put the whole helo thing back on the drawing board until I can come up with a workaround for the issues I have run into.

Meanwhile, the next version will have a corrected position for the Bandar Abbas SA-5 (SA-10) site as I found exactly where the launcher locations were on the map (I was only about 300m out so it's not a massive change). Here is hoping we actually get the real SA-5 to come out soon to capitilize on this discovery!

I totally understand why you don't want to use those awefully outdated (and green) FARP objects in your mission.

What about using one or two Perry Class ships, as spawn points for the Huey?

(Again no idea about any complications. Merely trying to help :))

System specs:

Thanks for adding the Huey!

The one thing I'd love to see if you can add (if it's possible) is to sling load in AA air defenses.

To be able to sling load up 2-3 crates up the coast or onto an island to assemble a Blue Sam site to help the air defense / attacking of the next 'area' would be a fantastic addition.

Without knowing anything I think you're almost there.

You can call fighter cover already, you have persistence in the static and units.

I can imagine that if you had a trigger/flag that the SAM sites have to put in a very specific area you'd be able to call that as a unit appearing as part of your persistance? So would in effect be there the next time around.

But as I say, I know nothing!

Thanks for adding the Huey!

The one thing I'd love to see if you can add (if it's possible) is to sling load in AA air defenses.

To be able to sling load up 2-3 crates up the coast or onto an island to assemble a Blue Sam site to help the air defense / attacking of the next 'area' would be a fantastic addition.

Without knowing anything I think you're almost there.

You can call fighter cover already, you have persistence in the static and units.

I can imagine that if you had a trigger/flag that the SAM sites have to put in a very specific area you'd be able to call that as a unit appearing as part of your persistance? So would in effect be there the next time around.

But as I say, I know nothing!

The next thing is there will be 5 more mission targets. The enemy EWR network will no longer be invisible/immortal, and the red squadrons have been added into the detection list along with all radar capable red ground and sea units. Change is in testing. :joystick:

Helo stuff is back on the drawing board as things didn't quite work out. Helo's have brought me nothing but headaches :P

Edited by Surrexen

Fantastic Work Surrexen. Excellent mission and the closest thing I've seen to a dynamic campaign.

Asking for a friend, is there any way to keep the audio files when AI drops a bomb or foxes on a bandit, but disable them when clients do in multiplayer? Love the feedback from the AI, but when I drop a bomb, I like to make the call to my package and the audio sometimes interrupts/duplicates the calls.

And one last question, can the elevation in the reports be changed to feet instead of meters? Is it a function of the _Settings:SetImperial() in the .lua? Thanks for your help. Keep up the great work.

Edited by bunkerjunker

Fantastic Work Surrexen. Excellent mission and the closest thing I've seen to a dynamic campaign.

Asking for a friend, is there any way to keep the audio files when AI drops a bomb or foxes on a bandit, but disable them when clients do in multiplayer? Love the feedback from the AI, but when I drop a bomb, I like to make the call to my package and the audio sometimes interrupts/duplicates the calls.

And one last question, can the elevation in the reports be changed to feet instead of meters? Is it a function of the _Settings:SetImperial() in the .lua? Thanks for your help. Keep up the great work.

For the audio on weapon firing, no not really ... you either switch them off via the radio menu and it's off for everyone, or you leave them on.

As for target elevation, I vaguely remember I need it in Imperial or something else goes haywire ... can't remember exactly. I can add target elevation in feet separately anyway.

Edit: Target elevation in ft will be in the next version, it'll be rounded down to the nearest foot, but i think that will be accurate enough.

Edited by Surrexen

PSA: I've just found there is a bug with the mission validation script to do with persistency for statics, under some circumstances when the mission starts if it pulls a mission to do with a static that was previously destroyed, the script will not fire properly. I have corrected this and will get an update out as soon as I can. This applies to Snowfox, Clear Field, Jupiter and Secret Squirrel.

v119 is up and contains a critical fix.

Changelog v119

- Bug in mission validation for statics if the initial mission target was a previously destroyed static has been corrected

- JF-17 default loadout for fuel tanks changed to centreline tank

- Red squadron cruise/intercept speeds slightly adjusted (they are a little faster now)

- EWR network is no longer invisible/immortal

- 5 new mission targets (EWR radars) added

- Red and Blue defence networks enhanced to include all radar capable ground and sea units

- Bandar Abbas SA-5/SA-10 launcher positions corrected

- Bandar Abbas Hawk radar positions adjusted slightly

- Some EWR radar positions adjusted slightly

- Target report target elevation now listed in meters as well as feet

Hey Surrexen,

I assume you didn't add JTAC laser guidance to the AI drones, for balancing reasons?

Can I add this option in the ME myself, or will that break anything?

System specs:

Hey Surrexen,

I assume you didn't add JTAC laser guidance to the AI drones, for balancing reasons?

Can I add this option in the ME myself, or will that break anything?

The JTAC is using standard DCS JTAC options, so they will use laser if they can. When the drones orbit the sector, they are not able to see/laze everything in the sector, but most things will be covered. For example, Abu Musa will be completely covered, but Havadarya is not. Also like usual, the JTAC will not laser buildings.

Also I'm hearing there might be an issue with ranging in general at the moment so it might be something to do with that. Something is up with the red planes not locking on/using Fox 1 / Fox 3 missiles from range by the looks. They seem to want to close in very close before firing on player controlled aircraft. I have been investigating this for a couple of days and it looks like it is being cause by the more recent versions of Moose.

I have realised that I don't have the J-11A from the FC3 pack included so I have added that in for the next version, along with some script fixes/adjustments. Not sure when this update will be ready though.

Edit: Someone else on discord is telling me they aren't getting any lasers either. Investigating.

I've just re-tested the drones and they do seem to be working

Keep in mind if the drone isn't in position over the target it may not give you the option for a Type 2 scenario (which gives the laser).

If you don't get a type 2, check out with them on the radio, wait for them to be closer and then check in again and see if it gives you a type 2 scenario.

I just took out the Larak island silkworm site using laser guided mavericks whilst getting the target lasered from the drone.

Edited by Surrexen

Ok so a major drama is in the process of being solved. It was reported to me that enemy planes were not engaging with Fox 1 or Fox 3 missiles. It took me nearly 3 days of solid testing to duplicate and isolate the problem. It appears that the issue is related to newer versions of Moose, and that this issue must have been introduced around the time when I added 'precise' coordinates to the target report.

I have now reverted back to a version I was using in August, and got it working with the precise coordinates for the target report and the enemy planes are now engaging player aircraft with radar missiles again properly. Because of the amount of rip and tear it took to isolate the problem, I now have the great fun job of reassembling both Snowfox and Clear Field with all the fixes and changes.

Edited by Surrexen

v120 is up.

Changelog v120 - Contains a critical fix

- Critical fix: Red aircraft will now engage player aircraft with radar missiles again (Rolled back to Moose from August)

- Some script corrections

- J-11A added

- MiG-29A AI template loadout changed missiles R-27R to R-27ER

We're going to Nevada next ...

... Soon .

Edit: Rapidly approaching now. All code is operating in the map, all AI pathing has been done, persistency up and running ... now just adding all the mission targets in. 77 so far with a few sectors to go, so there will be plenty to do. Hopefully done before the weekend!

Edited by Surrexen

Hi Surrexen,

Very, very amazing mission you have here. Lots of fun and immersion. Simply astonishing job.

Just a question, and I fear it's already answered somewhere but after having read all the posts in Snowfox and Clear Field threads I hadn't been able to find this;

Is there a way to add Tarawa carrier in both Snowfox and Clear Field?

I tried to put the carrier with a flight of 2 client harriers but no matter what I always get the message as son as I select the slot: "your flight is being delayed, please wait" and this goes forever.

Thanks for your time.

Win 7 64bits Sp1; Panda Dome; i7 2600k 3,4gh OC 4,5; 16gb 4x1333 DDR3; Gigabyte GTX1080ti stock clocks; ASUS P8Z68V; OS and DCS on SDD 240gb 2,5"; 500gb HDD; cooler master silent pro 1000w; Track IR 5; Saitek X52; Saitek pro Combat rudder; 2560 x 1440

Hi Surrexen,

Very, very amazing mission you have here. Lots of fun and immersion. Simply astonishing job.

Just a question, and I fear it's already answered somewhere but after having read all the posts in Snowfox and Clear Field threads I hadn't been able to find this;

Is there a way to add Tarawa carrier in both Snowfox and Clear Field?

I tried to put the carrier with a flight of 2 client harriers but no matter what I always get the message as son as I select the slot: "your flight is being delayed, please wait" and this goes forever.

Thanks for your time.

Happy you are enjoying the missions :thumbup:

Tarawa ... well what can I say ... I don't Harrier much because out of all the planes I have, the Harrier brings me the most frustration, it never seems to behave (for me) due to bugs etc. I am sort of waiting on Razbam to add some British warships to I can add a proper Tarawa fleet on the Eastern side of the peninsula. I also want to add a couple more shipping targets on the Eastern side but haven't got to it yet due to all the fixes etc i've worked on over the last couple of weeks. Also since I've stabilised the code base, I'm in a mad rush to try to get the Nevada map to a passable state so I can get it out the door.

As to why the Tarawa you added is causing delayed flights, I've got no idea. If you added the Tarawa to the same group as the Stennis, then I wouldn't do it that way as who knows what screwy things will happen. Anyway I know a few people have asked for the Tarawa so I'll see what I can do once the Nevada map is sorted.

Thanks for the answer Surrexen.

I'm playing harrier right now and honestly I have to say that I'm having a blast with it. I think it's the mix of more or less a jet with an helicopter soul, and I'm a helo lover. For sure has some bugs but they don't stop me from enjoying it to the fullest. So sorry to hear that.

I've tried both things, copy paste the stenis group changing to Tarawa instead and creating a whole new group. Both of these solutions fail to go. I think it's posible related to some scripting of the carriers?? I don't know...

So I'll wait then, no worries! Thanks again!thumbup.gif

Win 7 64bits Sp1; Panda Dome; i7 2600k 3,4gh OC 4,5; 16gb 4x1333 DDR3; Gigabyte GTX1080ti stock clocks; ASUS P8Z68V; OS and DCS on SDD 240gb 2,5"; 500gb HDD; cooler master silent pro 1000w; Track IR 5; Saitek X52; Saitek pro Combat rudder; 2560 x 1440

Nevada now that sounds like fun :)

| i9 9900K Octa Core 2TB SSD +32GB Spectrix DDR4 @3200MHz RGB | 2 x Radeon RX480 in Crossfire. | TrackIR5 HOTAS Warthog,MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs |

[OCG] Oceanic Combat Group

discord.gg/ZmXEBSU

"Through The Inferno"

by deadlyfishes

Official Australian Servers

SRS: All Servers have Auto-Connect Enabled

Server 1: TTI Caucasus

Server 2: TTI Persian Gulf

Server 3: OCG Training

Server 4: OCG NTTR & Multiplayer Missions

Australian Website

AU Discord Server

Hi all,

Finally I found what's the problem related to the Harrier spawn at Tarawa. Nothing has to do with Snowfox mission.

See this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256393

and this one is very funny, I don't know how to do a track file with this issue:doh.gif

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256862

Well, these are two of many other threads with the same problem that seems to be represented in CLIENT slots. Since I was using Snowfox almost full time, I was not aware that this happened in every mission Tarawa is involved.

I'll try with player slots instead of clients and see if it happens too.

Hi all,

Finally I found what's the problem related to the Harrier spawn at Tarawa. Nothing has to do with Snowfox mission.

See this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256393

and this one is very funny, I don't know how to do a track file with this issue:doh.gif

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=256862

Well, these are two of many other threads with the same problem that seems to be represented in CLIENT slots. Since I was using Snowfox almost full time, I was not aware that this happened in every mission Tarawa is involved.

I'll try with player slots instead of clients and see if it happens too.

Just another day of typical Harrier then. Nothing to see here, move along.