Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

Thanks, I see.

Thanks SuperWabbit, I managed to take out most Long range SAM-Sites.

Tipp:

I set waypoints (height 0 MSL will atomatically render 0 AGL) in the Mission-Editor directly on the SAM Radar and attacked with JDAM.

Also as single Player I add 2 wingmen loaded with A-A Missiles in the Mission Editor and order them to attack bandits. This works fine.

Now I will go for the designated Target, wish me luckpilotfly.gif

You shouldn't need to add the waypoints in the editor. If you go into the radio menu and ask for the target report you will get the target coordinates and altitude in 3 formats so you can plug whatever you need into the jet.

I know, but it's easier to look at the map, select SA... in the list below and then add the waypoints to my flight, because in VR it's a Little complicated to enter the waypoints and I wanted to eliminate SAMs beforehand.

The coordinates text faints before I can enter all Precise coordinates. Can you leave the text a litte longer perhaps?

One question:

You only show 3 Digits behind the last decimal-point although I can enter 4 in the hornets.

When I Designate a waypoint from the Mission-Editor I get 4 diggits.

I'm afraid that 3 Digits may be unprecise?

I know, but it's easier to look at the map, select SA... in the list below and then add the waypoints to my flight, because in VR it's a Little complicated to enter the waypoints and I wanted to eliminate SAMs beforehand.

The coordinates text faints before I can enter all Precise coordinates. Can you leave the text a litte longer perhaps?

One question:

You only show 3 Digits behind the last decimal-point although I can enter 4 in the hornets.

When I Designate a waypoint from the Mission-Editor I get 4 diggits.

I'm afraid that 3 Digits may be unprecise?

No the target report shows 3 different formats:

1. DMS (Degrees Minutes Seconds)

2. DDM (Degrees Decimal Minutes)

3. DMSDS (Degrees Minutes Seconds Decimal Seconds)

If you are programming in JDAM's / JSOWS etc you would follow the coordinates of the DMSDS format.

Please be aware that the 2.5.6 update has broken a lot of things with my missions. I suspect at this stage I will be waiting for ED to patch things before I can even attempt to try to solve what is going on.

I'm on Steam so I haven't gotten 2.5.6 yet. What are some of the things that are broken?

I'm on Steam so I haven't gotten 2.5.6 yet. What are some of the things that are broken?

Still investigating, but so far:

- Persistence script is falling over at random depending on the statics that you have killed, because some static objects do not spawn correctly when the mission loads

- Persistence script does not give the player messages about how many units etc have been removed as outText does not work currently from a Mission Start type trigger event

- Moose AI A2A Dispatcher does not work for ground starts (planes explode on spawn), only air starts will work

- Moose Settings menu does not appear to be switching off correctly

- Sounds not firing correctly at the start of the mission

- Log files throwing lots of errors that i'm still trying to figure out whats going on

- Users have reported they cannot run the mission for more than about 30 minutes without it crashing (probably due to memory leaks or something along those lines).

- Missiles fired from the Carrier Groups explode or fly into the water as soon as they switch back to ROE Weapons Hold

Now for the one error that I found in my own code along the way

- Pinpoint strikes not working for the Bandar-e-Jask sector. I have fixed this for the next update, but sadly this is going to require starting new campaign progress files, or editing the existing ones for any dead units or statics from the Bandar-e-Jask sector as I had to rename all units and statics in that sector from Bandar-e-Jask sector prefix to just "Jask" as it didn't like the hyphens in the prefix when using string.find function.

The short version is it could be a while waiting on ED updates, and then possibly even Moose updates before I can sort this out.

Edited by Surrexen

Thank you Surrexen for the amazing work.

I just notice that the SEAD F-16 is firing there missiles before time and the missiles don't reach its target and dropped in the way, is there any fix for this?

if you allow me, I would like to suggest some more features:

- can you make another version of these great missions with limited resources, for example, a limit airplane for both sides! this will make the operation more realistic.

- Allow the Blue side to occupy new airfields after cleaning the area, like for example clear Abu Musa island and use it to attack nearby Iranian bases.

- make your mission follow a logical order, like, attack SAM first or destroy the enemy air forces then attack ships, tanks, other air defenses, and then infrastructures.... this will let us use A-10 more efficiently after clearing SAM sites.

- Add Wingmen with the player with AA capability.

thanks

Edit:

There are some Red Tu-95 bombing places north of Fujairah and north of Ras Al Khaimah, is there any importance for these missions? even Blue SAM's are not targeting them at all.

Edited by mnf1980

Thank you Surrexen for the amazing work.

I just notice that the SEAD F-16 is firing there missiles before time and the missiles don't reach its target and dropped in the way, is there any fix for this?

if you allow me, I would like to suggest some more features:

- can you make another version of these great missions with limited resources, for example, a limit airplane for both sides! this will make the operation more realistic.

- Allow the Blue side to occupy new airfields after cleaning the area, like for example clear Abu Musa island and use it to attack nearby Iranian bases.

- make your mission follow a logical order, like, attack SAM first or destroy the enemy air forces then attack ships, tanks, other air defenses, and then infrastructures.... this will let us use A-10 more efficiently after clearing SAM sites.

- Add Wingmen with the player with AA capability.

thanks

Edit:

There are some Red Tu-95 bombing places north of Fujairah and north of Ras Al Khaimah, is there any importance for these missions? even Blue SAM's are not targeting them at all.

SEAD flights firing missiles is totally reliant on ED's AI code. I point the planes and tell them to engage in a zone, the rest is out of my control.

The red bombers do not have any special significance at this stage, just to have some bombers hanging around. The carrier groups SM-2's currently have issues due to a change that ED have made. The bombers do not fly inside the range of the Khasab Hawk site, or the Patriot system.

No, I will not be doing separate versions of my missions, as I have spent the last 4 days working on fixes and workarounds for the 2.5.6 update for the 5 different missions I already have. I am already having nightmares of when I have more missions to update in the future (Mariana's / Channel Map / Syria).

Putting missions into a logical order is something I would like to do later down the line, but that would not be a trivial task.

Airfield capture is not going to happen. Wingmen are not going to happen either, I do have a couple of flights available in Operation Jupiter that have wingman, but since the wingman do not respawn when a player respawns in the client slot, it makes it of very limited use.

So here is the deal at the moment. I have updated all 5 missions and from my side of the fence, everything appears to be working with the exception of the Carrier Defence zones due to the SM-2 missiles no longer tracking their target when the ships get set back to ROE weapons hold, the missiles either detonate or fly into the water. Will have to wait on ED for a fix (hopefully) for that one.

Edit: NineLine has confirmed with the team that the SM-2 issue is an intentional change, so I will have to now disable that code :(

I was hoping to upload the updated missions today, but it appears there are still several issues that ED need to work through before I can really do that and know that everything is 100% fine in 2.5.6. I will therefore, hold off on submitting the updated missions and continue testing everything over the weekend etc until a further patch comes out.

Now for the bad news. Operation Snowfox, Clear Field, and Black Spire have had to have some significant unit/group renaming as I found an issue that was causing Pinpoint Strikes to not always find their target due to mismatched prefixes. Therefore, when I do release the updated missions, your progress files (SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua and SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua etc) will need to be removed so that those missions can generate new ones. If you don't, then the mission will spit out a list of the units and statics that it cannot find from the saved list and skip trying to remove that particular object from the map. If you are feeling really adventurous you could run it and get the list of units etc that it errors on and then make the necessary edits to those files, but I'm not even going to get into that here. It'll just be easier to start from scratch. I apologise in advance for that one.

Operation Jupiter and Operation Secret Squirrel should run fine with the existing progress files.

The good news is, the Pinpoint Strike missions should now work for every single mission target. Operation Clear Field has had Pinpoint Strike AI routes added for the sectors that it didn't have previously. Further, the persistence script being a little more robust should not fall over anymore if one of the objects in the saved list doesn't spawn correctly.

Anyway, that's where it is at currently.

Edited by Surrexen

v123 is up

Changelog v123

IMPORTANT: If you are using persistence, you MUST remove your SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua and SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua files from your DCS World installation folder before starting the mission so new lists can be generated as many group and unit prefixes have changed!!!

1. A 2.5.6 compatible Moose version has been added

2. Group/Unit/Static prefixes for certain sectors have been revised so that pinpoint strikes will work on all targets in a sector

3. Infantry units have been set to not disperse under fire so they don't go hiding in trees etc

4. Target report clearview added to the text output to help alleviate the issue in the note below.

5. Various script adjustments

6. Carrier Defenze Zone code disabled due to SM-2 issue being an intentional ED change

7. An extra set of helo's have been put in at Sharjah Intl

8. Patriot system with 3 launchers has been added to Al Minhad

9. Other stuff that I can't remember right now

Note: For busy multiplayer servers, an issue has been identified where the target report can take up a lot of space in VR (for example when a flight of 4 is full of players and the report is given to the whole group). To get around this issue, it may be best to change the client slot groups to single planes only and duplicate the single planes so that instead of one group of 4 planes, you have 4 groups of 1 plane each. This way the target report will only come out once per player and not take up their whole screen.

Extra note: While I have tested all the tacan channels in single and multiplayer, it seems that at random people have issues with either the carrier tacan going missing, or the refuelling tankers tacan's going missing. If anyone has any smart ideas on why this happens please let me know as it always works for me, then I submit the file and chaos happens from there.

Edited by Surrexen

v124 is out to remove the clearview on the target report.

My apologies.

It looks like the only way around the issue I described in the post above for VR users is to have the plane groups reduced to single planes so they only get their own report and not other members of the flight. I will look into other options and see what can be done.

Hey Surrexen,

Many thanks mate for your continued maintenance of these missions. All appears to work ok, except for one possible glitch.

It seems the Predator JTAC may not be lasing even though he says he is via the JTAC menu (type 2 CAS). I was dropping gbu-12s from F-5, checked correct code 1688, but bombs seemingly going dumb. It could be I wasn't quite in the launch envelope, but I pickled in the general direction with good height and speed several times. The bombs did not appear to react at all.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Hey Surrexen,

Many thanks mate for your continued maintenance of these missions. All appears to work ok, except for one possible glitch.

It seems the Predator JTAC may not be lasing even though he says he is via the JTAC menu (type 2 CAS). I was dropping gbu-12s from F-5, checked correct code 1688, but bombs seemingly going dumb. It could be I wasn't quite in the launch envelope, but I pickled in the general direction with good height and speed several times. The bombs did not appear to react at all.

Cheers!

If memory serves, you need it to be a Type 3 scenario to get lasers. The drone operates over a sector to provide as much coverage as I can but not everything in a sector will be in laser range. I considered condensing the sectors to make them smaller and have more of them ... but that presents other issues.

Curiosity question ... was the drone actually over the sector and in it's orbit pattern? The drone does have to fly to the sector and takes a bit of time to arrive and orbit etc etc.

If memory serves, you need it to be a Type 3 scenario to get lasers. The drone operates over a sector to provide as much coverage as I can but not everything in a sector will be in laser range. I considered condensing the sectors to make them smaller and have more of them ... but that presents other issues.

Curiosity question ... was the drone actually over the sector and in it's orbit pattern? The drone does have to fly to the sector and takes a bit of time to arrive and orbit etc etc.

Yes, the drone was directly over Sirri lasing AAA target. It said "Type 2 in effect, laser 1688, use gbu-12". I was able to use the menu items, "Laser On", the drone replied "Lasing".

I went through the work flow of IP Inbound, Spot, In. The drone had a bit of a hiccup here where it would say "Cleared Hot", or "Abort, abort, abort" randomly after a pause. In which case you would have to start the process again. I guess this depends on whether the drone can see you as well.

I think the only way to check whether the drone is lasing or not will be with a TGP in laser spot mode with a modern airframe.

Cheers!

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

A change is currently in testing that will remove the red GCI flights entirely and replace them with a CAP flight that hangs out behind the main front line. The purpose of this is to prevent extra GCI flights spawning on busy multiplayer servers. This change will apply to Snowfox and Clear Field (Black Spire doesn't use GCI so no change is required there).

v125 is up.

Changelog v125

- Red coalition GCI flights removed

- A new red CAP flight has been added to replace the GCI and will mostly hang out behind the main front line.

- Unit "Tunb Island - Navy 1 1" name corrected from "Tunb Island - Navy 1", if this unit is in your SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua, you can just correct the name in that file to avoid starting over from scratch.

Enjoy :)

Some server groups have reported that occasionally the AWACS or Tankers are not finishing their 4 hour orbit properly and not going in to land and respawn. As a result they are seemingly flying around until running out of fuel and then bouncing around on the ground or whatever. Therefore, a change is being tested where the AWACS and Tankers will no longer be immortal and will respawn after 10 seconds if they crash. The drones will also be set to no longer be immortal in case of weird problems along the same lines. The AWACS, Tankers and Drones will still be invisible to the enemy.

This change is being tested on Snowfox, Clear Field and Black Spire.

v126 is up.

Changelog v126

- AWACS, Texaco, Shell and drones are no longer immortal (still invisible to enemy)

- Script additions for AWACS, Texaco and Shell to respawn if they crash into the ground (respawn after 10 seconds).

Hi Surrexen, first off, thanks for this, I've had a lot of fun playing this mission.

Sorry if this has been answered before but this thread is pretty big now,

how do you reset the mission (snowfox) if using persistence please?

Is there a file I need to delete that has the information of previously destroyed targets?

Thanks

Hi Surrexen, first off, thanks for this, I've had a lot of fun playing this mission.

Sorry if this has been answered before but this thread is pretty big now,

how do you reset the mission (snowfox) if using persistence please?

Is there a file I need to delete that has the information of previously destroyed targets?

Thanks

If you want to start from scratch again, remove SnowfoxUnitInterment.lua and SnowfoxStaticInterment.lua files from your DCS World installation directory. Then when the mission starts up it will leave everything alone and start new files.

I have been making some changes to Snowfox, Clear Field and Black Spire which I am still testing but will probably release in the next couple of days. This is mainly to provide some blue airbase defences, remove the rescue helo due to script issues, and replace the recovery tanker with a regularly spawned recovery tanker over the boat.

v127 is up

Changelog v127

- AAA guns added to Khasab / Ras Al Khaimah / Sharjah

- Rapier site added to Ras Al Khaimah

- Blue coalition SAM's removed from the detection network as it isn't really necessary

- Carrier group reorganised so that the Oliver Hazzard Perry class frigates are at the back (this is because their lights at the back of the boat are brighter, so it should help with night flying lining up the back of the carrier ... in theory).

- Rescue Helo has been removed due to issues with Airboss scripts

- Recovery Tanker has been removed due to issues with Airboss scripts, and replaced with a regular spawned S-3B tanker on a circuit around the boat

- Carrier groups set to ROE return fire, which doesn't really do much unless someone gets straffed on the boat ... but it's the best that can be done

- Script adjustments

Note: Failing any major catastrophic issues, this is likely to be the last release of this mission. I am planning now to wait for more WWII assets etc to release and then overhaul Operation Jupiter.

Edited by Surrexen