Operation Snowfox - Persian Gulf PvE Playground

I really enjoyed your mission so far in SP-mode - great stuff.

I edit the mission to get a flight of 4 (first is me as client AG-loadout, the other three set to AI-excellent with AA-loadout to cover me). That worked fine until the last patch. Now the AI-Flight member won't start from Steniss (FA18). There is a message like "your flight has been postponed" (something like that) after I started and they stay on the carrier. Same with the caucasus-map mission. Can you help me with that so that my flight takes off again?

I really enjoyed your mission so far in SP-mode - great stuff.

I edit the mission to get a flight of 4 (first is me as client AG-loadout, the other three set to AI-excellent with AA-loadout to cover me). That worked fine until the last patch. Now the AI-Flight member won't start from Steniss (FA18). There is a message like "your flight has been postponed" (something like that) after I started and they stay on the carrier. Same with the caucasus-map mission. Can you help me with that so that my flight takes off again?

If it worked before the last patch it's probably going to be fine when they fix the boat again. Maybe add a separate flight for yourself with AI wingmen that starts in the air above the boat in the meantime. A couple of patches ago the Tomcat's could not start from the deck or they would just get stuck and sit there. But I think that is working again now.

I had started doing the overhaul for Operation Jupiter but it's not getting very far right now due to the reduced performance I'm getting from the sim *throws hands in the air*.

Edited by Surrexen

Hi, fantastic mission, just one little problem... yesterday we were returning to the Stennis when 2 enemy f-5 attacked us with aim-9 and guns. I managed to land on the deck but one of them strafed me to death just at the parking spot.

I clearly remember that in the previous version of the mission the carrier group was able to self-defend launching missiles to all enemy aircraft closing in... maybe something changed ???

:(

Hi, fantastic mission, just one little problem... yesterday we were returning to the Stennis when 2 enemy f-5 attacked us with aim-9 and guns. I managed to land on the deck but one of them strafed me to death just at the parking spot.

I clearly remember that in the previous version of the mission the carrier group was able to self-defend launching missiles to all enemy aircraft closing in... maybe something changed ???

ED changed the rules on me. If you look back through the thread you will see all about it.

Same thing happens to me but it is funny because something the carrier group gets angry and launches Harpoons for the next hour and takes out all ships on the map!

Same thing happens to me but it is funny because something the carrier group gets angry and launches Harpoons for the next hour and takes out all ships on the map!

Yeah there's just no good way to handle that anymore. ROE return fire can be a bit over zealous.

• 4 weeks later...
I think leave the default Stennis for now. Unless the new carrier is wildly popular and the majority of people are actually using it, then having the Stennis in so that everyone can use it makes the most sense to me.

My worry is that players who don't have the super carrier may skip trying these missions and you'd be splitting your player base. Leave it as default and everyone plays.

I'm curious to see what the super carrier brings to the table. When your running these missions, you don't spend a lot of time at the carrier so I'm not sure it's entirely worth it or required to make the sim even more immersive than it already is. You're just not spending that much time interacting with it. So...having not seen the super carrier at all, I feel like it's going to be more of a nice to have than something that'll be over the top cool.

Well I think the new carriers are wildly popular...at least I'm really liking them. The FLOLS instrument is super helpful in VR and it's making landing on this thing a dream. I think I was wrong to suggest leaving the Stennis in...

The game crashes consistently when I try to run this mission a second time. It crashes after clicking "fly mission" at one of the world loading stages.

If I run the game again after the crash, the mission will load fine and import in destroyed objects.

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround?

Also, when I get shot down, should I just hit Shift R to restart the mission? Will the persistent objects remained destroyed if I do that? Or am I supposed to reload the mission entirely?

The game crashes consistently when I try to run this mission a second time. It crashes after clicking "fly mission" at one of the world loading stages.

If I run the game again after the crash, the mission will load fine and import in destroyed objects.

Is this a known bug? Is there a workaround?

Also, when I get shot down, should I just hit Shift R to restart the mission? Will the persistent objects remained destroyed if I do that? Or am I supposed to reload the mission entirely?

Sounds like something is wrong on your end. Check the log file and see if it can tell you what is causing it to crash. You don't need to restart the mission when you get shot down, you just go back to choose slot and select another plane and keep going.

If you have set up your environment for persistence to work properly, then every 2.5 minutes it should be saving a list of the units and statics you have killed to file. That file gets loaded when the mission gets restarted so you can pick up where you left off.

Sounds like something is wrong on your end. Check the log file and see if it can tell you what is causing it to crash. You don't need to restart the mission when you get shot down, you just go back to choose slot and select another plane and keep going.

If you have set up your environment for persistence to work properly, then every 2.5 minutes it should be saving a list of the units and statics you have killed to file. That file gets loaded when the mission gets restarted so you can pick up where you left off.

How do I go back and choose a slot? Is that done through "Shift-R" (restart mission)?

I'll take a look at the log.

By the way, this is a fantastic mission. As a matter of fact it is one of the best dynamic campaigns I've played in a flight sim, and I've played them all!

How do I go back and choose a slot? Is that done through "Shift-R" (restart mission)?

I'll take a look at the log.

By the way, this is a fantastic mission. As a matter of fact it is one of the best dynamic campaigns I've played in a flight sim, and I've played them all!

Just hit "Escape" and you have a menu with options such as selecting another slot.

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.

Our group agrees that Surrexen's persistent missions are awesome. If we have not said it enough, thank you sir!

@flyingj23: We do not have any issues when reloading these missions and have been playing them for at least two months now. you just need to ensure you have the mission script modified properly. maybe it would be worth validating your install (you can find how to do that with a search).

and yes, the ESC key is your friend here. ;)

I just reloaded the mission 3 times and didn't get a crash. Last night when I tried reloading it it crashed 3 times in a row...

No idea what that was about, but its working now.

My only issue so far is that the mission really seems to push the hell out of my computer and I'm getting a lot of lost frames in VR.

I've optimized my system for DCS so I get great performance in other missions I play (Liberation, Through the Inferno, DCS made campaigns for A10 and F 18. Those all run pretty well.

I realize this mission is doing a lot of stuff, this isn't a complaint. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do on my end to increase performance a bit... maybe by tweaking the mission?

Our group agrees that Surrexen's persistent missions are awesome. If we have not said it enough, thank you sir!

@flyingj23: We do not have any issues when reloading these missions and have been playing them for at least two months now. you just need to ensure you have the mission script modified properly. maybe it would be worth validating your install (you can find how to do that with a search).

and yes, the ESC key is your friend here. ;)

What I realized with using escape is that it won't let you select the plane you are currently in even if you are dead. You need to pick a different plane, then pick the plane you were just in and it works.

I just reloaded the mission 3 times and didn't get a crash. Last night when I tried reloading it it crashed 3 times in a row...

No idea what that was about, but its working now.

My only issue so far is that the mission really seems to push the hell out of my computer and I'm getting a lot of lost frames in VR.

I've optimized my system for DCS so I get great performance in other missions I play (Liberation, Through the Inferno, DCS made campaigns for A10 and F 18. Those all run pretty well.

I realize this mission is doing a lot of stuff, this isn't a complaint. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do on my end to increase performance a bit... maybe by tweaking the mission?

Perhaps try joining a multiplayer server that is running it and see if that takes the load off your machine. I do not have VR so I built this to the limits of my 7 year old PC running it in 2d.

Also, I never respawn in the same slot when running this in single player, I just choose the next plane slot so I don't ever run into the problem of having to wait to spawn.

Perhaps try joining a multiplayer server that is running it and see if that takes the load off your machine. I do not have VR so I built this to the limits of my 7 year old PC running it in 2d.

Also, I never respawn in the same slot when running this in single player, I just choose the next plane slot so I don't ever run into the problem of having to wait to spawn.

Well, I made the other 3 F18 slots on the carrier my wingmen in the editor :)

Is there some other way I am supposed to get wingmen in this mission that I am not realizing?

Also, out of curiosity, what is your processor?

Edited by flyinj23

Hello, thanks for this mission.

Anyway I don't understand if my persistence is working.

I desanitize the lua file in Dcs World\Script but the two files that get created are always empty, are never updated.

All i see is these lines here:

SnowfoxStaticInterment = {}

and

SnowfoxUnitInterment = {}

These lines never change...i have also run the mission on my server for many hours and in the server logs i can see that a lot happens.

Where i am doing something wrong?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hello, thanks for this mission.

Anyway I don't understand if my persistence is working.

I desanitize the lua file in Dcs World\Script but the two files that get created are always empty, are never updated.

All i see is these lines here:

SnowfoxStaticInterment = {}

and

SnowfoxUnitInterment = {}

These lines never change...i have also run the mission on my server for many hours and in the server logs i can see that a lot happens.

Where i am doing something wrong?

Windows permissions. Try running DCS as an admin. Those 2 files should be getting updated every 2.5 minutes if everything works.

Well, I made the other 3 F18 slots on the carrier my wingmen in the editor :)

Is there some other way I am supposed to get wingmen in this mission that I am not realizing?

Also, out of curiosity, what is your processor?

You don't get wingmen unless you add a client slot with wingmen. You do however have radio menu call in's for all kinds of support flights.

My old potatomasher:

i7 4770k

GTX 1080

32gb RAM

Hi Surrexen, it has probably been asked somewhere already in the past few pages, but I couldn't find it..

Are you planning on creating a Supercarrier version of your Operation Snowfox?

That'd certainly make my day :bounce:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hi Surrexen, it has probably been asked somewhere already in the past few pages, but I couldn't find it..

Are you planning on creating a Supercarrier version of your Operation Snowfox?

That'd certainly make my day :bounce:

You will need to wait to see what is coming next.