FPS Single Player vs Multiplayer

Ryu8200

Hello Everyone,

Lately I’ve been experiencing pretty terrible FPS when playing online and was wondering if it’s server related or something on my end. The only change on my end has been upgrading from the Oculus Rift to the Rift S.

So if I play single player I’m pretty rock solid at holding 40 FPS. Now when online I can only manage 7 or less FPS in a heavily populated base like Sochi on the TTI server. Once away from base or at higher elevation it’ll grow to 18-24 FPS. I can drop all settings to low and still now improvement when online.

Any ideas?

• ED Team

Hi Ryu8200

Multiplayer is a lot more demanding, especially if it is a busy server.

What are your system specs and what settings are you using ingame?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I7 6700 3.4Ghz

32gb ram

1080 (non-ti)

Need to put DCS on an SSD but hasn’t been an issue unless the server is loading in a lot of units)

Internet connection is 200 down 10 up

Oculus Rift had better FPS than the Rift S

As for the graphic setting I’ve ran with everything on low and or off to try and see if there’s any major changes and I’ll gain maybe 5-7 FPS in multiplayer and still stays at 40 FPS on single player.

I have an huge frame drop wenn other planes apper in my closer field.

But i have the same in single player and instamd missions with other planes...

In such situations i had at least 30 fps.

Now the fps goes down to 22...

i7-8700K / 32GB RAM @3000 / 1TB M.2 SSD / Asus RTX 2080 Ti OC

VR- Gamer: Valve Index

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Best and easiest option is to reduce your settings for MP.

I fly for fun only in VR and always get 45+ but I have reduced my settings to suit my needs.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BIGNEWY

Lowering the settings does not give me the improvement.

The frames still remain at 22 in the same situation where i had 30 before.

It seems that the vr improvement does not give everyone the same status.

I hab a very good improvment but now suddenly it is only playable with very less objects in field...

Sory if I am a bitt nasty abour this matther but I think it is worth to out some attention at this.

Becaus if the new carrier is implemented i doubt that this will not have a super bad impact on the frame rate.

Flight Gear: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Thrustmaster TPR / 3x Thrustmaster MFD / Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Best and easiest option is to reduce your settings for MP.

I fly for fun only in VR and always get 45+ but I have reduced my settings to suit my needs.

I'd appreciate if you could share your settings for SP and MP, just for comparison. My rig is pretty similar to yours and it's always nice to have some example settings that run well.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• ED Team
Hi BIGNEWY

Lowering the settings does not give me the improvement.

The frames still remain at 22 in the same situation where i had 30 before.

It seems that the vr improvement does not give everyone the same status.

I hab a very good improvment but now suddenly it is only playable with very less objects in field...

Sory if I am a bitt nasty abour this matther but I think it is worth to out some attention at this.

Becaus if the new carrier is implemented i doubt that this will not have a super bad impact on the frame rate.

I understand, and with your rig it is difficult to understand why your frames are so low.

The VR improvement did not have the intended results, only a small number saw any real benefit and ED are looking into it.

I'd appreciate if you could share your settings for SP and MP, just for comparison. My rig is pretty similar to yours and it's always nice to have some example settings that run well.

These are the current settings I use for MP in VR, they wont be to everyone's taste, I make a lot of sacrifice as I prefer higher frames over eye candy.

I will often find the DCS process in task manager and give a higher cpu priority, it helps a little with frames.

For single player I can max my settings and don't have a problem, I generally only change my settings when I am testing a specific thing or taking screenshots.

Screen_190810_154410.thumb.jpg.ef87d220ccef5a5963f6b7775b729871.jpg

Edited by BIGNEWY

Seems to be very much server related on my end after some testing.

On the Burning Skys and Aerobatics Online servers I’ll hold around 40 FPS even with a large player population.

But on the Growling Sidewinder and Through the Inferno servers I’ll only manage 7-10 FPS in heavily populated locations. When the server is less populated I can hold around 18-21 FPS.

Hopefully DCS sorts it out because I love DCS and have most of their modules but whatever has changed to cause the major FPS drop has made it unplayable on the servers I most frequently play on.

PS all my other VR games run smoothly such as iracing and War Thunder

Edited by Ryu8200
More details

@Ryu8200

Check if the Wake Turbulence option could be the cause of framedrops when other aircraft are in your vicinity (single- and multiplayer).

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@Ryu8200

Check if the Wake Turbulence option could be the cause of framedrops when other aircraft are in your vicinity (single- and multiplayer).

Yes and I’ve seen the posts concerning wake turbulence. Is there anything we can do on our end? Or is it one that’ll need to wait for a patch to resolve?

Prior to this my frames would suffer when in a largely populated base like Sochi on the TTI servers but nothing like was it’s been the last week.

I have an huge frame drop wenn other planes apper in my closer field.

But i have the same in single player and instamd missions with other planes...

In such situations i had at least 30 fps.

Now the fps goes down to 22...

check CPU utilization per core, both SP MP

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

check CPU utilization per core, both SP MP

Okay, I finaly checked CPU and also GPU utilisation.

Both are going down during the FPS drops.

GPU is then at around 50%

CPU on most stressed core at about 60%.

I found a threat about GPU/CPU utilisation and changed some settings on my asus motherboard concerning AI Tweak.

The FPS drop still appears but now i need to be closer to the ground objects...

So it seems that its connected to some ground objects that the system may handle a lot harder...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello Everyone,

Lately I’ve been experiencing pretty terrible FPS when playing online and was wondering if it’s server related or something on my end. The only change on my end has been upgrading from the Oculus Rift to the Rift S.

So if I play single player I’m pretty rock solid at holding 40 FPS. Now when online I can only manage 7 or less FPS in a heavily populated base like Sochi on the TTI server. Once away from base or at higher elevation it’ll grow to 18-24 FPS. I can drop all settings to low and still now improvement when online.

Any ideas?

Your PC specs are a bit low for VR - I have had to OC mine to 4Ghz to get decent performance, put DCS on an SSD, and my C driver onto an M2NE SSD Drive.

My single player is OK, but if I don't set the CPU affinity to all before connecting to multiplayer, I get around 15fps instead of the rock steady 35 FPS and no stutters.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243170

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller