Any real benefit going from 1080ti to a 2080ti?

Thick8

Two things really screwed up the gpu market: bitcoin mining and nVidia going years without serious competition. The 1080 is an ancient card by past standards, yet its price is still quite high and its performance is only marginally worse than the latest $700-$800 cards that replaced it. I hope AMD smashes nVidia in the mouth to get competition in price and quality where it was for years. I can remember when the Radeon 9700 Pro and its follow on 9800 Pro threw nVidia for a loop while the AMD Athlon 64 processors smoked the Pentium 4 in speed and power consumption/heat. CPU pricing has remained fairly competitive. But gpus have really ramped up. A single top-of-the-line gpu can cost as much or more as the rest of the PC. I realize part of that cost is due to the RAM, but a lot of it is due to a lack of competition and an exceptionally long sustained period of very high demand.

I have held back to the 1080 (not even a Ti) until I see something with much better performance for a fair price.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had a 1080, a 1080ti, and now I have a 2080ti. The best value for the price is the 1080ti.

The difference between the 1080ti and the 2080ti in performance is not that significant but it is singnificant in price. You just have to pay too much for a minor fps boost. Don't forget that this generation of Nvidia cards is not about a huge performance upgrade, but about RTX technology (which is useless)

If the performance of the 1080ti is not enough for your VR headset, just lower some settings. (i would try supersampling and visible range first)

If you play in VR, imo, every single FPS that you can squeeze out of your PC counts because it could mean the difference between playable vs unplayable, or enjoyable vs not enjoyable experiences.

It is a matter of your comfort zone and how much you’re willing to spend. I’m pretty sure NVDIA will release a new series of cards by next year to compete against new AMD cards. Remember also that top of the line cards are never the best bangs for the bucks and there is always a point of diminishing return.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

If you play in VR, imo, every single FPS that you can squeeze out of your PC counts because it could mean the difference between playable vs unplayable, or enjoyable vs not enjoyable experiences.

That exactly is the point and it was mentioned in this thread before.

For me the upgrade from the 1080ti to the 2080ti was well worth the money because of the "extra" it delivers in VR. Settings "up" and still more fps.

Yes, for a high price, but I don't care. Spent enough money on less useful things in my life.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

I have used the 1080 Ti and the 2080 Ti back and forth for the past ten months. My rig at home has two 2080 Ti's in it (long story, ... got them for free bc of a technology loan) and my wife's desktop has a 1080 ti. The 1080 Ti holds up very, very, well against the 2080 Ti. With everything about maxxed out and using the Rift S, I usually pull about 22 to 24 fps with the 1080 Ti and about 31 or 32 with the 2080 Ti. The 2080 Ti is a little, tiny bit nicer but not enough that I would spend a $300 to $700 premium on it over the 1080 Ti.

So you're saying there's ~50% performance improvement of the 2080Ti over the 1080Ti? That's a fairly dramatic delta, by any generational measure.

Of course, 31/32fps isn't great still in VR, so I probably wouldn't use either at max. But again, I'm not sure how a delta that substantial is dismissed as a tiny bit nicer.

Am I not following you here?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is possible Elizabeth Hurley will show up at my front door tomorrow nude and in need of "emotional comfort" too.

did she?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Sorry, ... did not see this for few days or so bc Elizabeth indeed showed up, ... and I did my best to provide "comfort" :) (She was stoked to come down from the usual Hollywood and London snobbish types she runs with to slum it with an academic nerd like myself.)

Dojo, the 2080 Ti outperforms the 1080 Ti by about 35% on average in DCS but it does not really provide anything more than the 1080 Ti does. A few more FPS but that is it. It is not like I can turn MSAA up to 4X with the 2080 Ti over the 2X I use with the 1080 Ti, if you catch me. There really aren't any settings that the 2080 Ti allows me to up over the 1080 Ti. When I got the 2080 Ti cards, I thought I would be able to do a pixel density of 2.2 over the 2.0 I used with the 1080 Ti but it really did not work that well. So, ... no, .... if you choose the 2080 Ti, you are really paying a $300 to $700 premium simply to say you have the latest. It's a bit like Linus' blanket.

It's more like Shroedinger's GPU for most of us it seems

You're wisely emphasizing anti-aliasing settings, I feel that deserves further comment... GPU doesn't solve all or even most problems. Other than anti-aliasing, pretty much any adjustment in settings affects the CPU at least as much as the GPU.

So let's say you have the best CPU and RAM money can buy and you're trying to squeeze out a little something extra on a busy multiplayer map. By going from a 1080ti to a 2080ti, only thing you're guaranteed is the ability to push the PD or supersampling. Pushing MSAA from 2x to 4x apparently costs you more than the 2080ti can give. Pushing shadows? Maybe, if you're on an empty map. Pushing vis range? Forget about it; your CPU is maxed, upgrading your GPU isn't going to help.

Now, it depends.

Those who say "every fps counts" are (more or less) getting the science, they just aren't getting the economics. In economics, everything happens at the margins.

To give an example, if your render time is 23.5ms, lowering that by 1ms will have a huge effect on game play. If your render time is 22.5, it will have no effect whatsoever. Likewise if your PD is 1.2, being able to push that to 1.4 makes a big difference in game play (on an Oculus at least). If your PD is 1.8, pushing that to 2.0 isn't going to change anything in real terms.

All depends on how close to that edge you are. It's not hard for me to imagine that an HMD with a high pixel count like a Pimax may need that extra 35% to maintain 45fps (if that's even enough). Interested to know how the Reverb fares. At the other end of the scale, if you're running an Oculus, after a certain point you're putting lipstick on a pig...

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

@Aurelius, thanks, understood. I thought there was some detail missing here. You've clarified, appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the price-to-performance question is being conflated with the performance question. It is useful to think of them separately.

1. All other things being equal: does the 2080Ti create a significantly better playing experience

2. Is the price for that increase justified?

Also @Aurelius and @jojo There's incorrect math happening here: and while it's not my intention to be a dick, it's relevant if you're going to keep arguing price to performance: Going from ~21/22 to ~31/32 frames is not a 33% increase, it's a ~50% increase. I think you are mistakenly taking the avg increase frames (let's call it 10 for simplicity) and dividing it by the result (~31). That's incorrect. You are gaining 50% more frames from what you experience with the 1080Ti in Aurelius' scenario (all settings maxed and a Rift S on his hardware). So the increase is ~50%, not 33% for Aurelius in particular. So if you want to talk price to performance in the scenario Aurelius described (All settings maxed), the performance improvement is ~50%. Whether that result, ~31fps, is worth it the price premium is a separate, but valid argument.

Of course, the mileage others experience by simply adding a 2080Ti to DCS will vary, but I'm addressing the figures that Aurelius experienced. I have a 1080Ti, I'll be upgrading in the next few months, so this discussion is meaningful to me.

Edited by Dojo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was not clear Dojo because I was recalling from memory but the exact specifics over several timed trials with the P51 over Batumi and the Hornet over Dubai are 23.6 to 31.2 FPS increase when moving from the 1080 Ti to the 2080 Ti. It is almost exactly a 32.2 % increase. ( .... yes, I love mathematics)

Thanks. I'm curious to know what the performance is given less than "max" settings in a few key areas. No rush, but if you've got any general numbers and are so inclined to share.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From 24 to 32 is +33%.

From 22 to 31 is +41%.

Off course if you do 32/ 21 you get your +52%, but that wasn't the given numbers.

Anyway, were are dealing with such low numbers here that the % is overwhelming.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Great input gentlemen. Thank you for helping me realize that the best course of action right now is to wait. The CPU and memory upgrade put me in a nicer place with regards to the overall VR experience so I’ll just leave it at that for the now. Maybe when Samsung announces their new HMD I’ll start looking into a GPU to drive it.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Great input gentlemen. Thank you for helping me realize that the best course of action right now is to wait. The CPU and memory upgrade put me in a nicer place with regards to the overall VR experience so I’ll just leave it at that for the now. Maybe when Samsung announces their new HMD I’ll start looking into a GPU to drive it.

Yes, m8. In the end it is your decision I was just trying to give you all the information from all angles relevant to make your decision. In the end, you know the best what is suite for you.

I wish you the best and good luck.

Don't trust overclocking it's almost always bullshit

What’s your basis for this? I have an EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water block. It easily overclocks 750mhz on memory and 200mhz on the core even though the power limit on the board is only 112%. Significant improvement in fps of 5-6 fps when playing dcs vs. running stock clocks (38-42 w/o and solid 45 all the time with O/C. Now the difference running my cpu at 4.3 vs. 4.5 doesn’t seem quite so noticeable (since in my system the gpu the bottleneck in VR when running everything maxed out.

I7-6700k @ 4.5ghz

Gigabyte gaming 3 motherboard

32gb 3000hz ddr4

EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water cooling

360mm custom water cooled loop for CPU and Vid card

500mb nvme ssd

256mb sata ssd

2gb hdd

Samsung Odyessy +

TM warthog stick & throttle

MS ff2 stick

What’s your basis for this? I have an EVGA 2080ti black w/ hydrocopper water block. It easily overclocks 750mhz on memory and 200mhz on the core even though the power limit on the board is only 112%. Significant improvement in fps of 5-6 fps when playing dcs vs. running stock clocks (38-42 w/o and solid 45 all the time with O/C. Now the difference running my cpu at 4.3 vs. 4.5 doesn’t seem quite so noticeable (since in my system the gpu the bottleneck in VR when running everything maxed out.

I agree whole heartedly. I have both the Zotac and Gigabyte water blocked cards heavily overclocked and it makes a world of difference. Shame that DCS/VR can’t utilize SLI yet or I’d snatch the Zotac out of my wife’s machine for “testing” purposes... :music_whistling:

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

it's simple, in most games you don't see differences, especially with high-end grading cards. Many people hearing about oc are led to think that a gtx 1070 in oc can be like a 1080, but it is not. 5/6 fps according to which calculation? Is it an average or something?

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 i7-6700k overclocked from 4ghz to 4.5ghz with watercooling, 32gb ram and 512gb SSD drive. Had a EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 pushing a 32" 2k display. Upgraded to the EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra. Strictly based on performance, I saw about a solid 8-10% increase in FPS.

If I calculated it cost wise strictly on the fps increase alone it would not have been worth the $1700 paid. But the 8-10% increase gave me a very noticeable increase in smoothness. The slight stutters that were there in heavily populated areas almost completely disappeared and it just looks awesome.

If I had to guess a percentage for the overall satisfaction with the upgrade I would have to put it at 95% simply because I have hardly anything to complain about now. In fact I am so happy with the smoothness now that I have delayed building a new PC with all the latest and greatest hardware. And who knows how much that would have ended up costing. So I saved money anyway for the time being.

If you can afford to do it go for it. If you can't then don't. I'm just glad I didn't decide to not purchase the 2080TI solely based on cost vs fps increase.

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals.