Moving radar azimuth

raelias

So is it possible to move the radar search area left and right when you are in a say 60deg search? Think it should but i never managed to, or is it not yet avalible?

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

So is it possible to move the radar search area left and right when you are in a say 60deg search? Think it should but i never managed to, or is it not yet avalible?
This is a feature of TWS on F16s & 15s, i dont know if the same feature is available on F18s, i wish the answer is yes.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I was able to do this once in our Hornet, but I never figured out how to reproduce this. Basically the scan azumith was always half it's scan width left and right of where I placed the TDC. When I had it to 60° and the TDC 30° to the left, the scan was 0-60° left only.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I was able to do this once in our Hornet, but I never figured out how to reproduce this. Basically the scan azumith was always half it's scan width left and right of where I placed the TDC. When I had it to 60° and the TDC 30° to the left, the scan was 0-60° left only.

yeah same, but i think it was a bug not suppose to happen yet haha

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

In Range While Search, and later Velocity Search, there will be a feature called "Spotlight" where the antenna scans 22° centered on the TDC and you can slew it left and right.

In Track While Scan there will be an option to manually center the normal scan, which is basically what you (OP) describe.

Edited by Jak525

Spotlight is different, that is essentially looking closer at a particular area.

I think OP is referring to scan centering, which indeed the 18 has on all three search modes. As with all things f18 related the behavior depends on search mode and whether a L&S designation exists.

In RWS the center of the sweep can be slewed left and right to the extent the sweep is less than maximum. E.g. a small azimuth scan setting of 20 degrees can be biased 60 degrees to either side, but 70 degree scan cannot be biased.

In TWS there are Auto, manual, and bias settings, which the radar will automatically change between based on pilot inputs. There is a lot to this, but like most things hornet related it is based on whether a L&S (and DT2) exist, and allows pilot to quickly cycle trackfiles and bias scan to either side of current track, allowing pilot to scan for additional threats while not increasing scan volume, or fully manual via az/el like RWS.

VS and ACM include slewable functions as well, most notably WAQC (box can be slewed with TDC).

Pure speculation - There are three 'big' missing elements to A/A functionality (somewhat arbitrary grouping here, but i'm considering sublevel options, EXP modes, RAID, spotlight as enhancement of these) -- With the recent addition of ranked trackfiles I suspect focus on controls/logic for designating trackfiles - e.g. cycling L&S though ranked trackfiles, bump acq., etc. I have nothing to back that up, it's just good bang for the buck. If i remember prior wags statements correctly, he has made statements to the effect that TWS is a priority. That would leave Az/El as the next logical step, which will provide the ability to slew scan centering cross by TDC. Again, this is just my guess

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Spotlight is different, that is essentially looking closer at a particular area.
Yeah as I said the normal AUTO/MAN centering is closer to what OP is asking about but Spotlight still is a centered scan. Space-stabilized though I believe.

I think OP is referring to scan centering, which indeed the 18 has on all three search modes. As with all things f18 related the behavior depends on search mode and whether a L&S designation exists.

In RWS the center of the sweep can be slewed left and right to the extent the sweep is less than maximum. E.g. a small azimuth scan setting of 20 degrees can be biased 60 degrees to either side, but 70 degree scan cannot be biased.

I've seen this in another Hornet game and was curious if this is really how it works (being able to center the scan outside of TWS). Would be very cool still.

In TWS there are Auto, manual, and bias settings, which the radar will automatically change between based on pilot inputs. There is a lot to this, but like most things hornet related it is based on whether a L&S (and DT2) exist, and allows pilot to quickly cycle trackfiles and bias scan to either side of current track, allowing pilot to scan for additional threats while not increasing scan volume
Yeah, an extremely handy thing. Auto centering on the L&S will obviously be very important for AMRAAM support.