JTAC Lasing Question

sgilewicz

When a target is being lased by JTAC should the A-10 lasing be enabled? I would think not as long as the TGP is in LSS but I can't confirm this.

Not 100% certain regarding the scenario in question, but generally speaking, if the JTAC is lasing the target, you shouldn't need to lase at all.

That also means you could leave your Laser ARM switch in the OFF position, because the TGP's laser won't be needed at all.

Now LSS has pretty much nothing to do with it. Laser Spot Search is used so that a JTAC, or an AFAC, could lase a target and allow you to spot that same target with your laser spot tracker, which is part of the TGP. In order to do that, your TGP doesn't need to emit any kind of laser beam and your Laser ARM switch can stay in the OFF position. The JTAC or AFAC might then lase that exact same target to guide your LGB, or they might expect you to engage that target with any other weapon - it simply depends on the mission and the situation.

Generally speaking, I believe you only need to actively lase for terminal weapon guidance or in order to allow someone else to spot your lased target.

Edited by Yurgon
Typo

Generally speaking, I believe you only need to actively lase for terminal weapon guidance

That is, if no one else (like a JTAC) is providing laser guidance for your weapon.

Just want to make this clear, because this last sentence could be understood by some readers as a contradiction to your otherwise great explanation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Perfect! That was exactly what I was looking for Yurgon. The situation is a mission employing gbu-12 on a tank with jtac lasing. I wasn't seeing the search, detect and track cues on my type. Yurgon, you explained the situation perfectly. Thanks to all you!

Radial Madness

That was exactly what I was looking for

Cool, glad to help :)

On a BOT the pilot lase for his bomb, the JTAC uses the laser like any other mean to help you quickly spot the target.

In a BOC the JTAC will lase for the bomb.

Are you sure about that?

I can easily imagine BOT with lasing by JTAC or AFAC, and also BOC with lasing by the CAS aircraft. It all depends on the situation and, most importantly, on the CAS brief IMO.

It also depend on the type of control. Is it a bomb on target or a bomb on coordinate control ?

On a BOT the pilot lase for his bomb, the JTAC uses the laser like any other mean to help you quickly spot the target.

In a BOC the JTAC will lase for the bomb.

Not always true. A two-ship may be Shooter/Eyeball or Eyeball/Shooter where the JTAC’s laser is no factor either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

It was an idea to help him in his case.According to the the BOC and BOT définitions « CAS aircraft are not required to be TALLY / CONTACT / CAPTURE the target when conducting BOC attacks ». If it was a BOC control, he just have to drop his bomb on the coords, no need to search for the spot, and no need to activate laser.

You’re right by the way, all steps of the CAS process are important, CAS brief and game plan too!