DCS BIOS stability with ED updates?

dhevans79

Hi all,

I'm looking to start building some generic panels that could interact with DCS BIOS.

My question is whether I plan to use DCS BIOS for the advanced functionality , or whether I just build some generic button boxes mapped via the standard and limited controls to reduce "tinker time". My main worry is whether the DCS BIOS commands/module regularly break with the updates from ED, or whether the system is more or less stable over long periods. I want to be able to play the sim, rather than reflash and reprogram commands due to each update made by ED.

So as a general question to all users out there, how have you found the system so far, and is there anything you do to manage it better?

Regards,

Dave

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Hi, My experience with the Hornet, since August 2018 I've had to reprogram a few modules on two occasions. Though right now the FLIR switch and the one next to it no longer works. Usually it's the output elements like LEDs that are affected, input controls are mostly stable, aircraft specific of course.

Edited by Blue73

i do what i can to hold BIOS uptodate. ;)
Whilst the gesture is appreciated, it's not the point of the question ;)

With regards to Blue73 response, if it's only a couple of updates a year, that's ok.

If I understand correctly, these are derived from the commands the developers use to control the sim, so I guess these basic function s shouldn't change much on complete modules (guess that's not the case for the F18 yet, due to still being in EA)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, Gigabyte GTX 980 4Gb, Asus Prime z270k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz, Plextor PCIe SSD 256Gb, Samsung EVO 750 SSD 500Gb, 9.5TB SATA incl 4TB Mirrored. Saitek X52-Pro

Actually, it is the point.

If the mainpanel file gets updated, the module for DCS_BIOS needs an update. Some do it themselves, but as BlackLibrary says, he updates in a timely manner and I can attest to it. You would then use the new downloaded library files.

DCS BIOS Modules written for airframes that are no longer in beta tend to never break. If, over time, new features are added to the airframe, those features tend not to disturb previous command arguments.

DCS BIOS modules for Airframes that are still under development can always break because... those Airframes are still under development:doh:. I would never start building panels for something that may change completely for some unknown reason. I would wait for the release version.

Now with the help of some enthusiastic persons, DCS BIOS modules have been written for beta airframes. But if you begin panel building before the release version, you need accept that things may (read:probably will) change. If you can't accept those conditions, do not start.

That said, if a panel does break from an update. It’s usually only code that needs fixing. Your choice.:pilotfly:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Thank you all for your comments. Given the information above, it doesn't sound like it should be troublesome to use DCS BIOS for my project, and as such I can benefit from all the work that you have all put in to supporting this project.

Here's hoping that I'll be able to add to this community in the foreseeable future.

Regards,

David

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Modules in beta can change, teh amount of changes vary. Sometimes none, sometimes a few.

I was keeping the F18 module up to date with changes, but have slipped lately, I need to get back on top of that.

Any changes are not normally that bad that it takes a huge amount of work to fix (and it is easy to identify required changes by comparing a certain set of files using a file comparison tool).

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai