Setting Alt Pressure Takes Forever

Johnny Dioxin

I'm using a rotary encoder on my T50 throttle panel, where one click is equivelant to one keypress, and it's taking a ridiculous amount of time to set the pressure.

Considering we are only given the pressure after asking for take-off permission (which we only get when already on the runway) this is a double-whammy because you then sit there adjusting it, whilst everyone else is waiting to use the runway.

Took me a couple of minutes in the Su-25 Cold Start mission in the Persian Gulf.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

because I'm in VR and what's the point of having decent HOTAS if you then have to use the keyboard?

No point in enabling an assignment for controllers then, is there.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I use the Saitek radio module for this. It's not a DCS issue, it's a ''your encoder issue''. For example, you adjust the alt by holding a keypress. The encoder is a momentary. How long is your encoder configured to ''hold'' the keypress? Not long, I'll wager. The Saitek defaults to a few miliseconds, I adjusted it to a half second per ''click'' and it works normally now.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

IRL altimeter setting isn't a HOTAS function either, but reading about this problems it's just one more reason for me why I wouldn't even think about VR ;)

Well, matey, the Su-25 doesn't have a clickable cockpit, so it would be really hard to reach out and adjust it by virtual hand ;)

Actually - I tried that before I remembered it was an FC3 module - what a disappointment! :cry:

If you're determined to stay in the last century, that's fine - but by not using VR there's only one person losing out - regardless of what you may tell yourself! Just keep persuading yourself it's no good, while the rest of us enjoy it - no skin off our nose :)

Kneeboard Guides

I use the Saitek radio module for this. It's not a DCS issue, it's a ''your encoder issue''. For example, you adjust the alt by holding a keypress. The encoder is a momentary. How long is your encoder configured to ''hold'' the keypress? Not long, I'll wager. The Saitek defaults to a few miliseconds, I adjusted it to a half second per ''click'' and it works normally now.

As I said - one click on the encoder is equivelant to one press of the key - so I would be spamming the key.

Can't believe people are arguing for the keyboard to be used. Probably the same people who insist on "realism"!

Anyway - obviously requesting something that will in no way affect you seems to upset some people, so I'm off. Have at it, guys...

Kneeboard Guides

If you're determined to stay in the last century, that's fine - but by not using VR there's only one person losing out - regardless of what you may tell yourself!

Each to his own. I've tried Track IR many years ago and VR a short while ago, nothing comes (acceptable) close to RW flying (or at least a level-d sim)

Can't imagine flying without the ability to e.g. read my approach plates and can't get used to the low rez scenery/VC either.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

As I said - one click on the encoder is equivelant to one press of the key - so I would be spamming the key.

Can't believe people are arguing for the keyboard to be used. Probably the same people who insist on "realism"!

Anyway - obviously requesting something that will in no way affect you seems to upset some people, so I'm off. Have at it, guys...

You still aren't understanding. It's not ''spamming the key'' it's HOLDING the key. If you ''press it for half a milisecond'' it turns very very little. If you ''hold it for a half second'' it turns about a full click. It's got to do with how the key is programmed in DCS and how your encoder is programmed. Some items move a full click per keypress, some are ''graduated'' based on LENGTH of keypress.

All my encoders work on this basis, though, including my expensive DSD panels with 5+ encoders on them. They didn't work right either, I went in their configuration and they were also set to ridiculously short keypresses. I changed it and BOOM they worked better for that sort of thing.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2