How to get point track in TGP?

Mule

Push sensor select switch right - Toggles Area/Point.

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Thanks! i was losing hope in finding the solution. I was used to SCS Depress.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

would it be "Push sensor select switch LEFT" if the FLIR page is on the LEFT DDI? cant test atm...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

would it be "Push sensor select switch LEFT" if the FLIR page is on the LEFT DDI? cant test atm...

That is correct.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

No. You still have to press SSS right to switch point/area, but of course that 1st switches you back to right DDI control. Seems like it doesn't always work right , like you have to go back and forth twice to get to point track and back on other screen. Would be nice if point/area track was SSS right (long) instead of the same SSS right (short) command for selecting right DDI.

(tested left DDI later...yes that does work)

Edited by cthulhu68

That is correct.

If this was correct you would be able to just keep pressing SSS left to switch back and forth between point and area. Ive been using lower screen for b/w FLIR, not left DDi , but I cant just press SSS down several times to toggle point/area.

[EDIT (at the risk of infuriating joey45)] OK. Hadn't tested L DDI before. It does work like that. The lower MFCD doesn't though.

Edited by cthulhu68

I was going to delete this but can't see an option.

My pet peeve on forums is people editing their posts..

Thread Title : HELP I CAN't USE [insert problem here]

----

it's all right i did it.. delete please

[thread edited by user]

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Some questions:

1. Is atrk considered 'snow plow' and ptrk position locks the lens on its last position slewed for lasing?
  2. Is there a way to quick center the tpod?
  3. Besides the tpod position dot on the DDI is there any other info source to tell you where it's looking relative to the aircraft?

Thanks.

1. Not sure if this answers question but point track basically locks onto a target, even a moving one. Area track allows you to target a spot, like the base of a target. Better for JDAMs.

2. Use cage/uncage command to cage it (boresight)

3. I think we'll get a HUD display at some point. Until then TDC depress can be used to show current location on HUD or switch map to SA mode and you can see its location at any time as you slew it around.

1. Not sure if this answers question but point track basically locks onto a target, even a moving one. Area track allows you to target a spot, like the base of a target. Better for JDAMs.

2. Use cage/uncage command to cage it (boresight)

3. I think we'll get a HUD display at some point. Until then TDC depress can be used to show current location on HUD or switch map to SA mode and you can see its location at any time as you slew it around.

Thanks!

So then it's not necessary to TDC depress before releasing a jsow, just have the tpod reticle cross pointing to the target?

Except for a moving target can't ptrk or atrk be used for a stationary target?

Thanks!

So then it's not necessary to TDC depress before releasing a jsow, just have the tpod reticle cross pointing to the target?

Except for a moving target can't ptrk or atrk be used for a stationary target?

No. You still have to designate a target to establish what you're targeting. You can use area or point tracking for stationary targets. I mention using area for JDAMs since point track targets an entire object. Lets say this object is a 4 story building. In point track your designator is now centered on the 2nd floor of building but is actually continuing down to a set of coordinates on the ground behind the building as if it wasnt there.

No. You still have to designate a target to establish what you're targeting. You can use area or point tracking for stationary targets. I mention using area for JDAMs since point track targets an entire object. Lets say this object is a 4 story building. In point track your designator is now centered on the 2nd floor of building but is actually continuing down to a set of coordinates on the ground behind the building as if it wasnt there.

In your example, are you saying ptrk can only capture an entire object such as your 4 storey building, then it will auto-center on the entire object, whereas atrk allows for choosing an individual floor...more for surgical strikes?

Edited by fitness88

In your example, are you saying ptrk can only capture an entire object such as your 4 storey building, then it will auto-center on the entire object, whereas atrk allows for choosing an individual floor...more for surgical strikes?

You've got that reversed. POINT track should let you select a window in the building whereas AREA track would select the whole building. I understand what the OP was getting at, but I can't think how to explain it better right now.

Correct on the point track part. No on the area track part. Remenber that designator is always going to coordinate at ground level. It doesn't stop when it hits an object. In my crude drawing it shows how point track would designate whole building but designator is continuing through to the ground. With area track I can put my mark at base of building

Untitled2.thumb.png.1ad873a7de2a00e3d9e73feb0e3fa961.png

In order to attack a selected window on a building for example you have to use "Force Correlate" with a Maverick. LGB's and JDAM's are accurate but tend to take out the entire structure/object you're aiming at.

Not that a Maverick all that weak... :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Thanks all for your help, after an hour of testing jsow using tpod;

1. atrk & ptrk = both are very accurate for pinpoint attack
  2. ptrk = will auto track moving tgt which so far is the only functional difference I see between atrk & ptrk. I saw no correlation to the previous posts saying atrk & ptrk do different functions except for ptrk auto tracks moving tgts.

Edited by fitness88

• 2 months later...
If this was correct you would be able to just keep pressing SSS left to switch back and forth between point and area. Ive been using lower screen for b/w FLIR, not left DDi , but I cant just press SSS down several times to toggle point/area.

[EDIT (at the risk of infuriating joey45)] OK. Hadn't tested L DDI before. It does work like that. The lower MFCD doesn't though.

Did you ever find the solution to this? Seems to be a bug?

To reiterate, if my TGP is in the center display it is very hard to get a point track with SSS down. If the TGP is on the right display it is easy.

Just use the FLIR page when it's up. There is an OSB button - 1 I think. Its selectable for ptrk or area track. You dont need to use the sensor control switch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS