Viper academic videos

JamesRothwell

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shall see. I know Wags said the Cold Start would be "ONE" of the last but I think they may still have a few up the sleeve.

His answer to that question was paired with the video in mini-updates.

We got the startup procedure done earlier than we expected (a few small items to still tune)' date=' so we have a few more videos to do prior to release.[/quote']

ILS made it in this evening also. Two well done videos. We are getting close guys!

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

He also accidentally Livestreamed part of the ramp start video earlier....

Lol what? :)

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

That start up video is great, first thing I imagine most of us will do when launched is get it up and running from a cold start on the ramp, get it airborne and just fly around. I'm not going to bother trying to learn how to use it as a weapon until I've understood how to fly it properly.

I made that mistake with the Tomcat, tried to use it as a fighter on day one when I should have just spent time learning the airframe and how to fly the thing effectively before trying to launch missiles or drop bombs from it.

I'm hoping on release day to find a kind of launch party server to join and we all learn the aircraft together, I'm sure lots of questions and answers over SRS, the community is what makes DCS so great IMHO.

Good idea to learn flying first.

But the F-16 is an easier Plane than the Tomcat due to its Fly By Wire. Flying shouldnt be much of a Problem in normal conditions.

At Night an in Bad Weather will be the interesting stuff. Hopefully ILS is in at Release.

Is it just me or are most DCS Pilots just Good Weather Pilots since i rarely read something about Crosswind or Bad Weather Condition Problems in any Subforum. :pilotfly:

There is a pve server that I fly on often for practice and it alternates the day/night and weather cycle. Often there is quite high winds that make landing a bit tricky. I admit I prefer fair weather flying purely for the visuals, I love how it looks early morning as the sun comes up on a clear day.

Is the viper like the hornet in that is has higher thrust setting for flight idle than it does for ground idle or are they the same?

I think this Viper version has FADEC without a throttle gate for flight idle. Meaning that you can retard the throttle to idle at any time but the FADEC will only give you the lowest RPM permitted for the current speed regime.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Yes, i do not think that you have to adjust the throttle up and down to get to ground idle. How it works exactly, i do not know, the FADEC probably uses lots of sensor to know what is going on with the engine.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Is it just me or are most DCS Pilots just Good Weather Pilots since i rarely read something about Crosswind or Bad Weather Condition Problems in any Subforum. :pilotfly:

Yeah, apparently they are indeed, because you also have a hard time finding MP servers with night time and/or severe weather conditions :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The main issue for me is that the active runway / ILS is pretty much broken in 2.5 Caucasus with a 1-6 knot headwind (or tailwind), so adding realistic crosswinds, etc. using METAR reports, often causes issues unless making missions with a specific airfield/runway in mind.

As it's almost impossible to test if every airfield is working for a 'generic' mission i.e. not ILS focused, I've unfortunately reverted to using 'good' weather/winds for most missions.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The main issue for me is that the active runway / ILS is pretty much broken in 2.5 Caucasus with a 1-6 knot headwind (or tailwind), so adding realistic crosswinds, etc. using METAR reports, often causes issues unless making missions with a specific airfield/runway in mind.

As it's almost impossible to test if every airfield is working for a 'generic' mission i.e. not ILS focused, I've unfortunately reverted to using 'good' weather/winds for most missions.

I'm unsure what you're referring to being broken? Would be interested in more info.

It's not the wind reported in the mission editor/ATC/F10 map/briefing not matching (some are correct, some are 180 degrees out (I can never remember which are right)) you're talking about is it? If it is, sadly that bug has been in for years, with no sign it'll ever be fixed.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Is the viper like the hornet in that is has higher thrust setting for flight idle than it does for ground idle or are they the same?

On the new ILS landing video, Wags cuts the throttle before touchdown, which got me wondering.

No flight idle on the F110-GE-129. The Pratt & Whitney (PW) engine will have a different exhaust nozzle scheduling depending on the Landing Gear (LG) handle position. With LG handle up, the nozzle should not open fully. This is not clearly stated for the GE engines so not sure if the exhaust nozzle is also affected by LG handle position.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..