Can someone explain the HUD offset and ghost VVI thing?

imacken

Can someone please explain the HUD VVI offset/ghost thing to me? I know it's to do with wind, and it can be cage/uncaged in NAV etc., but why does this occur, and how are we supposed to use the info in practice?

Any help appreciated. I've wondered this for a long time from the A-10C learning days!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Can someone please explain the HUD VVI offset/ghost thing to me? I know it's to do with wind, and it can be cage/uncaged in NAV etc., but why does this occur, and how are we supposed to use the info in practice?

Any help appreciated. I've wondered this for a long time from the A-10C learning days!

basically it show where the airplane nose is really pointing based on the atmosferic conditions

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Thanks, I understand it is where the plane is actually heading rather than where the nose is pointing, but how do we use this info, as intuitively, if we were pointing the nose at a runway and the plane was not heading in the same direction, we would make corrections. Like in aircraft without this facility. I can't see the point in ever caging it.

I think I'm just missing something here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Uncaged, it's useful for navigation. Whether you're flying a particular heading, waypoint, or lining up on a runway, the VV will tell you where you're actually going, and thus the VV (not the caret on your heading tape) should be aligned with the navigational reference.

Caging, in my experience, has been useful in two scenarios:

1. Base turn/180 turn on shore or at the boat. When making the turn the HUD tends to slide off to the side and occasionally disappear. Caging this keeps it centered so you can keep an eye on your AoA bracket and glideslope.

2. Refueling. I often line up parts of the HUD on the tanker to get in a good position, and when the wind is blowing my HUD off to the side, it makes things a bit difficult.

Thanks, I understand it is where the plane is actually heading rather than where the nose is pointing, but how do we use this info, as intuitively, if we were pointing the nose at a runway and the plane was not heading in the same direction, we would make corrections. Like in aircraft without this facility. I can't see the point in ever caging it.

I think I'm just missing something here.

Mainly to keep the pitch ladder centred in the HUD. With a strong crosswind the pitch ladder and VV will drift off to the side when HUD uncaged.

Uncaged, it's useful for navigation. Whether you're flying a particular heading, waypoint, or lining up on a runway, the VV will tell you where you're actually going, and thus the VV (not the caret on your heading tape) should be aligned with the navigational reference.

Caging, in my experience, has been useful in two scenarios:

1. Base turn/180 turn on shore or at the boat. When making the turn the HUD tends to slide off to the side and occasionally disappear. Caging this keeps it centered so you can keep an eye on your AoA bracket and glideslope.

2. Refueling. I often line up parts of the HUD on the tanker to get in a good position, and when the wind is blowing my HUD off to the side, it makes things a bit difficult.

Thanks, that makes sense to me!

Mainly to keep the pitch ladder centred in the HUD. With a strong crosswind the pitch ladder and VV will drift off to the side when HUD uncaged.

But, surely that is the point of it, so that you can see where the plane is actually pointing, not where the nose is.

But, surely that is the point of it, so that you can see where the plane is actually pointing, not where the nose is.

Not all the time you would want it off the side of the HUD. When caged you will notice a the ghost flight path indicator is shown and will still show where you are going but leaving full visibility of the HUD and attitude ladder.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk