Performance degradation - Found the issue

RealDCSpilot

It's the SteamVR beta, just speculation, but they introduced a new feature on 17th of August:

version 1.7.6 - Motion Smoothing no longer throttles applications that are primarily cpu bound (e.g. No Man’s Sky).

Somehow this may not work in favour of DCS.

If you opt out of SteamVR beta, performance should go back to normal (which could always be better :music_whistling:).

Edit: Fixed by Valve on 08-28-2019

Edited by Alec Delorean

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

It's the SteamVR beta, just speculation, but they introduced a new feature on 17th of August:

version 1.7.6 - Motion Smoothing no longer throttles applications that are primarily cpu bound (e.g. No Man’s Sky).

Somehow this may not work in favour of DCS.

If you opt out of SteamVR beta, performance should go back to normal (which could always be better :music_whistling:).

Steamvr's Motion smoothing only works for htc or vive Headsets

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

HTC or Vive? Isn't that interesting... Happy waiting man, hope you are having fun with VR soon and less troubles with it in the future.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

HTC or Vive? Isn't that interesting... Happy waiting man, hope you are having fun with VR soon and less troubles with it in the future.
Unfortunately i have issues with reverb performances.

Considering going back to rift s which was quite smooth

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

Have been testing my Rift S some in DCS today, I got a performance gain from an update a few weeks back and was curious if that had changed. It seems about the same to me, certainly has not got worse for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am not and have never been on steamvr beta and I have had massive performance drops in VR the last 2 updates. I use the stand-alone version of DCS with Rift S and steam VR doesn't even load. I experience stutters and even hourglass pauses now, even when using the VR preset which is way lower than I have ever run. I used to always run 40+ often 80 fps locked without ever experiencing stutters. I only play multiplayer, so I can't speak to single-player performance.

i7-8700K at 4.8ghz all cores, 1080 ti, 32 gb ram, dcs on Samsung 970 NVME drive.

There is definitely something going on with the latest OB versions, for me opting out of SteamVR beta made the game playable again. Sadly thats the only thing i found out so far.

+1 Opting out of steamVR beta also improved playability for me. A whole lot smoother now.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Just uncostly test balloons, probably won't matter, but in case :

-you have smt/hyperthreaded cpu : try to disable it in bios. (each thread (mostly the bigger one, that bounces from core to core) now has 1 full core capacity to freely grow when needed - matters in many occasions in DCS for me)

-you have 32GB ram : set windows virtual memory to 32GB on a ssd drive. (in SP my usage is often above 38 GB ram + vram)

There is definitely something going on with the latest OB versions, for me opting out of SteamVR beta made the game playable again. Sadly thats the only thing i found out so far.

I’ve posted about issues with the most recent couple of SteamVR betas in other threads. I believe the issue is that FPS is no longer locked to 45 or 30 with MS on. FPS is all over the place, which maxes out the GPU and makes the DCS experience very jerky.

I’ve gone back to the non beta version of SteamVR and everything is good again.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’ve posted about issues with the most recent couple of SteamVR betas in other threads. I believe the issue is that FPS is no longer locked to 45 or 30 with MS on. FPS is all over the place, which maxes out the GPU and makes the DCS experience very jerky.

I’ve gone back to the non beta version of SteamVR and everything is good again.

I did it and nothing changed for me

I did it and nothing changed for me

Can you confirm that with Motion Smoothing on that you get a locked 45fps using the latest beta SteamVR?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hi Guys, I've recently come across from the Oculus CV1 to the Reverb and although it's generally been awesome, it was suggested that I not be in the beta for SteamVR so I de-selected it but I've also noticed in the SteamVR VR room that it still states "SteamVR beta:" on the screen. Can anyone tell me why this is so even though I thought I had switched it off.

Additionally, does anyone know why the removal of the // to switch on Reprojection only occasionally displays Reprojection on in the Steam settings tab (sometimes on, sometimes off)

Appreciate any help. Also, happy to pass on my experiences of the Reverb if anyone is interested.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Yep, all sorted. Nice!

Well I'm also having the same problems as most of you are reporting with terrible FPS performance. I was getting a solid 45 FPS with my Index the last couple weeks and now with same settings everything is down to 30 FPS or less - its just not playable in VR anymore.

I have a decent machine I7-9700 OC 4.5, RTX 2080Ti OC, 32 GB but DCS just is not performing in VR. Steam VR is still on 1.6.10

My settings are 100% resolution in Steam, PD of 1.3 in DCS, MSAA 2X, high on most other settings. I have tried changing settings to PD of 1.0 and 150% in Steam but still poor FPS.

Not sure why suddenly DCS is a dog in VR?

I went back to steamVR beta and SteamVR beta version remains 1.6 10 with my O+

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

SteamVR 1.7.11 throttles down motion smoothing to 30 fps (not 45) without returning to stable 45 fps ... any solution?

Yes, wait for the fix. Been reported already on the bugs forum.

Hey fellows.

I am on the latest steamVR beta. 1.7. 12 and I still having the jerky, stuttering experience in O+

Tweaked with many settings in SteamVR SS and dcs PD.

In steamVR beta, all module cockpits scale is huge and unaffected by setting in dcs IPD.

What is your experience like with the latest Steamvr beta?

• 2 weeks later...

I made some recommended settings changes in Nvidia CP, turning on enhance application AA which it sets at 2x and MFAA. Immediately after, I noticed the base stations in the loading screen were shimmering. I saw this the last time I tried AA settings in NvCP but was hoping it had been fixed and worked correctly. However I decided to fly with the settings and see what it looked like in game. Performance went in the gutter and I began getting what normally would be a hard lag spike where the entire scene freezes and turns with your head when looking around. This has happened on my CV1 when on heavy servers like the 107Th TTI. But now it does it even when not online. It's very jerky and also acts like there are tracking issues. I went back to the previous Nvidia driver, went to stable version SteamVR and back to beta but so far nothing has helped. I don't do anything with the Index but DCS so I haven't tried another game. I also deleted FXO and metashader2 but no luck. Anyone else have this issue?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I’ve had VR Screen freeze with too aggressive GPU overclocking, but the NVIDIA CP problem shouldn’t happen.

How about doing SFC \scannnow and check if you have any corrupted files.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/