Samsung Oddessy+ vs HP Reverb

IADC

I have the Oddessy + and would upgrade to the HP Reverb but have questions for people who have used both head sets.

1 - Are the graphics in the distance views much crisper on the HP than on the Oddessy+?

2 - Are ground objects such a vehicles much clearer and are other aircraft clearer to see at distance?

3 - is the setup as easy as the Oddessy+ with DCS and Steam VR?

4 - would the upgrade be worth dropping the Oddessy (only a few months old) for the HP Reverb.

I have the Oddessy + and would upgrade to the HP Reverb but have questions for people who have used both head sets.

1 - Are the graphics in the distance views much crisper on the HP than on the Oddessy+?

2 - Are ground objects such a vehicles much clearer and are other aircraft clearer to see at distance?

3 - is the setup as easy as the Oddessy+ with DCS and Steam VR?

4 - would the upgrade be worth dropping the Oddessy (only a few months old) for the HP Reverb.

I had an Odyssey+ and now have a Reverb, this is my opinion:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Identical (I still had WMR installed from my O+ so literally plugged in the Reverb and the Mixed Reality Portal came up. Starting a game fires up SteamVR. Obviously there are some SteamVR settings like supersampling to play with to tweak but it works the same as the O+

4. I would say yes but I would also consider the Index as it is very close to the Reverb in DCS visually and has some other benefits (FOV, audio) I think either are a worthy upgrade although financially only you can decide if upgrading is value.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Baldrick cheers fornthe straight forward reply. It's tough to get them these days as so many people have their opinions and have not even got VR.

Looks like the upgrade is worth while then. Cost is not a factor. I just want the best visuals I can get.

Now I Need to review the 2 side by side. You already have the reverb but if you went back and had to choose what would it be?

I just posted my comparison here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4018120#post4018120

I think both are great headsets for DCS. What else do you plan to use the headset for?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

For DCS alone I would pick the Index. Clarity is similar and the extra FOV, more vivid colours, better audio and slightly better comfort would edge it

I got lucky and had one of the first Reverbs and it hasn't had any issues but I also think the Index is a safer choice, there are still reports of Reverbs shipping now with issues, hopefully this will all get sorted very soon. Might be worth holding off until clear if going for the Reverb.

That said it is a very close choice. Whereas for iRacing the Reverb is much clearer and for me a clear winner, so if I had to pick one headset for the games I run (iRacing, DCS, IL2, DiRT Rally 2) it would be the Reverb because it is so much better in iRacing.

Baldrick I appreciate the feed back. Really helps as I do not have the choice of ordering and returning if not satisfied due to where i live.

The Index seems to be the logical choice for DCS then. On a percentage scale with clarity of picture how much better is the Index over the Oddessey +

Cheers

I have a 2080Ti but also have another PC with a 1080 (not Ti) and a 5820 and DCS runs pretty well on that with the Index. I doubt an upgrade to a 2080Ti would be noticeable. I run at 45fps with an 8600K @ 5GHz and the 2080Ti and the same with the other PC just by knocking down the SS a bit.

Hard to put a percentage figure on it as I mainly used the O+ for iRacing. It wasn't until I got the better headsets I rediscovered DCS!

What I will say is that I find both the Index & Reverb a significant uplift in visual clarity from any other headset I have tried including the O+ and Pimax and worth upgrading for me. I imported the O+ as it isn't sold in Europe so I had a bit invested in it. I am glad I bit the bullet!

Edited by Baldrick33