Flight Sim Accessories?

Zulu111

Hi Folks,

I am just beginning my journey into playing DCS and I wanted the benefit of your advice please. PC wise I meet or exceed the recommended hardware to run DCS so my next focus is on the aircraft accessories to run the sim.

As luck would have it I have access to an used but fully functional Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS setup but the package doesn't include any pedals. Could I actually fly the DCS A-10c or F-18 with just the Warthog HOTAS and no pedals? Are there any other DCS aircraft I could fly without pedals? I understand that the experience might not be so complete without the pedals but if I could just get airborne for now that would be useful to help gain flying experience in the meanwhile.

I also saw that the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS joystick has a twist function that can be used to control rudder action in lieu of pedals. Does anyone use this joystick in that manner?

Let me thank you in advance for any feedback.

Yes, you can fly without rudder pedals but I would try to get some for realism purposes.

Sent from my G3223 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. If I am running the TH Warthog HOTAS without the pedals does that mean I should assign the rudder control to the HOTAS or does the DCS software have an option to auto-coordinate rudder control for me?

No there is no auto coordinate feature so you will have to assign it to something. The A10C doesn’t use rudder that much but when you need it ... you really need it. If you plan to fly on a regular basis you will buy Pedals. The twist stick is not very precise and has issues when you need good solid control. So you will either get very frustrated and then buy Pedals or you can eliminate that whole process of getting frustrated and buy some now.

But fly for a bit with an assigned rudder and see if you like flying. If so... :D

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

From my experiences I can tell you: It doesn't make sense to save money on controls.

I started (just counting post millenium) with a X52. Then I replaced this with a X55 for getting more axes on the Thrust-section.

Finally I took the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. And I tell you: I found out all my problems during flight were "control induced".

The purchase itself was a "little bit" hurting. But it's worth every single of those 400 bucks.

Same is with pedals: Unfortunately meanwhile I ran out of money. So I still have to wait to replace these scratchy creaky ugly Saitek plastic scrap (purchased it as a set with the X55).

(Oh! If I spent the money for some good pedals instead for the X52 and X55....)

As Warhog already told: If you need it (rudder), you'll really need it.

The Spitfire (e.g.) is completely unmaneuverable without rudder. Just using a twist-stick you'll catch a tenosynovitis.

Take-Off and Landing under crosswind is impossible without rudder.

Strafing a target is impossible without accurate(!) rudder control.

This list is incomplete ;)

Manual for my version of RS485-Hardware, contact: tekkx@dresi.de

Please do not PM me with DCS-BIOS-related questions. If the answer might also be useful to someone else, it belongs in a public thread where it can be discovered by everyone using the search function. Thank You.

If you fly mostly on modern jet rudder pedal is not really critical to have. I have Thrustmaster TFRP while probably its not the best but it does the job well enough and I have no complain so far.

Try adding an extention for the stick it'd make control movement much more precise and convinient. I searched the design on the web and asked someone to 3d printed it for only less than $10.

Good luck

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I would recommend using a hat or 4-way switch left & right for the rudder until you can sort something out. Maybe with a modifier if you already have your hats assigned to something else (but you would need to use a modifier with the A-10C due to the direct control assignments).

I had to do this for a while when my pedals had an issue and was surprised how well I got by.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2