RWR no warnings

Neon67

Hi guys

I recently flied the F18 again in pvp and I got some strange feedbacks with the RWR

For example I have been shot by a mk2 without launch warning, only simple lock

On another mission, I have been shot by a SA-19, probably a ship, without any warning at all

Did I miss an update ?

:joystick:

The RWR doesn't give you "launch" warnings per se, it can only alert you to various radar emissions that it picks up. It has no way of knowing when a missile has been launched, but it will tell you when you're being painted by a radar in missile-guidance mode. In other words, it will alert you when a semi-active radar homing missile is being guided to you, or when an active radar missile has started guiding itself to you.

So with all that said, the M2K probably got you with an IR missile, which does not use radar guidance. And the SA-19 is optically guided, so again no radar guidance involved and no RWR alert.

I thought SA-19 was using a radar tracking?
If I remember correctly, the SA-19 uses radar tracking only for the guns. The missiles are optically guided. At least in DCS, I think IRL the operators can choose how to employ the radar.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also be aware the RWR doesn't detect signals coming from above or below.

This is most noticable when hard turning, as almost all radars will be relatively above or below you (I used to think I had broken the lock, lol).

Also, even when a SARH missile is coming at you, you will hear the radar "lock" tone first, then the missle warning tone a few seconds later. The lock tone is always first.

So, for example, if you are barrel rolling and someone fires a sparrow at you from the side, you may never actually hear the missile warning tone, just sporadic lock tones over and over until you are hit.

So for close air combat you basically have to watch for the enemy fire at you, visually.

I used to think I had broken the lock, lol

That made me laugh (also because I can relate) I'm imagining you like "Who's the notching master? You are!" and suddenly BOOM, no wings.

I've been there

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Also be aware the RWR doesn't detect signals coming from above or below.

Anyone who knows anything about RWRs, knows this is completely unrealistic...

Especially a radar right below you..

In normal operation, to even determine a bearing to the an emitter, the RWR antennas facing the opposite direction also have to be able to see the signal in order to perform amplitude comparison direction finding...

Radar locked 50 degrees above, close enough to sunburn: silence.

Radar 150 miles away pointing perpendicular to you at something else: DEE DEE DEE DEE

Indeed, since it's RL, this needs adjusted so we get better warnings

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Also another experience with F14: I get a lock warning, then they shoot pheonix, no BEEP BEEP BEEP to tell me what is going on except the last five seconds when getting close. It is usually followed by a missile impact, a large boom and me having a heart attack.

Can the F-14 get a soft lock and then hard lock targets at the last moment?

Edited by Neon67

Also another experience with F14: I get a lock warning, then they shoot pheonix, no BEEP BEEP BEEP to tell me what is going on except the last five seconds when getting close. It is usually followed by a missile impact, a large boom and me having a hearth attack.

Can the F-14 get a soft lock and then hard lock targets at the last moment?

The F-14 can fire in TWS mode which gives you no warning until the missile turns on it's own radar.

The phoenix missile only turns it's radar on a few miles from impact, which doesn't give you very long to react, which is the whole point!

At what range is a F14 able to launch a pheonix more or less?

80 nm vs a bomber (Tu-95) using a high speed / high altitude launch (M1.2/38,000ft).

Perhaps 30 nm at lower altitude vs another fighter.

IIRC the AIM-54 radar activates at ~ 11nm IRL but in DCS this happens at ~8 nm due to code limitations.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 years later...

I had an BVR engagement on a 4ya server just now. I flew the F/A-18, enemy AI was a SU33. I splashed him (also got a notification) and turned defensive. I turned of the AB, leveled out and then got hit by a missile. Either the remnants of the down spiralling SU33 had still a stable lock on me, my RWR didn't detect an active R77 or there is something about radars and missiles I still don't understand. 😕

Ah dammit. I guess it was an R37 or R73 then (it was a head-on engagement, so any missiles should have been in the RWR scope), I was way too close anyway. But I guess it's always not the best idea to end your defensive flying right after an engagement just because your instrument don't tell you you're still in danger.  ^^

Edited by Racoon-1-1