terrain stuttering when passing by

aledmb

hi everyone,

other than lowering my graphics settings until i get rid of this stuttering, what else can i do?

in this video (0:41), you can see that the terrain stutters while passing by, like moving in chunks from time to time.

do you experience this too?

in VR, it's a big immersion killer.

thanks in advance for any feedback!

Your Hardware and Settings are missing.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Your Hardware and Settings are missing.

sorry, i thought maybe there was something really obvious.

i have an i5 4690 @ 3.5GHz, 16GB of RAM and a GTX 1070... everything on off/low/minimum.

preload is at maximum (15000 iirc).

if i turn shadows from off to low, it's enough to trigger that.

but as you can see, even the people from ED that made that trailer have this issue.

I have the radius of preload to stand at 10000. Shadows are a huge fps eater, so I have them on flat and medium. Even with 32 Gb Ram and a rtx 2080 super oc, 15000 are too much in the MP. 15000 eats a lot of ram...a ssd is also required here.

Incorrect Vsync settings can also cause this !.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I have the radius of preload to stand at 10000. Shadows are a huge fps eater, so I have them on flat and medium. Even with 32 Gb Ram and a rtx 2080 super oc, 15000 are too much in the MP. 15000 eats a lot of ram...a ssd is also required here.

Incorrect Vsync settings can also cause this !.

i thought preload would help with not having to load the map into memory all the time.

i tried it at minimum, 10000 and maximum, but it doesn't help with it.

also, i have an SSD.

not using vsync or anything, as i play in VR (oculus)... what do you mean by "incorrect"?

Yeah sometimes i have this also but its really not a big deal for me.

What kind of monitor do u use and how are your DCS and Nvidia settings look like ?

i play in VR, so it is annoying... kills a lot of the immersion.

nvidia is all on default settings, except for power management at "prefer maximum performance" and pre-rendered frames at 1.

I had the same till I updated my Motherboard Bios to latest version - now DCS is super smooth. I was pretty stoked!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had this problem and finally narrowed down something weird going on between my 2080 and Oculus.

Reformatted the drive and moved DCS to a SSD seemed to help but everything cleared up when I installed the cards utility software. I guess not just having the Nvidia drivers was enough?

Before I boot into DCS, I ensure that that software is running and am able to run high graphics settings in DCS.

May not help but thought I would throw it out there.

Regards

to me, this looks like a flaw in the way DCS handles frame drops.

the way i perceive it during the game, it's not like my FPS is low, but the game stutters.

there are times when the FPS is actually low and that stutter does not happen.

it's so weird.

What is your Fps in Min/Avg/High?. Have u press alt+enter?. Have u delete the fxo files and metashader2 files?. What have you for settings in the NV system control?. It is a new problem after the update?. Is the crate hot in the summer?. Have u the drops when u fly sideways or in a supine position @ lower altitude?. Have u set the framerate limit by a other software like msi afterburner ?. Have u test it with Vsync on?.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

What is your Fps in Min/Avg/High?. Have u press alt+enter?. Have u delete the fxo files and metashader2 files?. What have you for settings in the NV system control?. It is a new problem after the update?. Is the crate hot in the summer?. Have u the drops when u fly sideways or in a supine position @ lower altitude?. Have u set the framerate limit by a other software like msi afterburner ?. Have u test it with Vsync on?.

fps in those situations is usually above 90, but sometimes it dips into the 80s and that makes these stutters happen.

alt+enter? i tried to run with full screen on/off in the settings and it makes no difference... remember i'm flying in VR.

fxo and metashader2 files? no idea what those are.

nvidia settings are "prefer maximum performance" and "1 pre-rendered frames".

problem is not new after new update or anything... i've had it for more than a year now at least... always happened to me in VR... but it happens without VR too, as you can see in that trailer i posted.

it's winter time down here in south america.

the stutters happen all the time, flying in any direction, but mostly noticeable if i look to the side of the chopper, as terrain flies faster in the sides. :)

v-sync on/off makes no difference.

did not try to set any limits to framerate.

Frame rate is much less important than frame time. Frame time is largely dictated by your cpu. You can have frame rates in the 90’s and if frame times are long you can get stuttering so bad you can’t play, even though your FPS says 90.

yeah, i'm sure that's the case here.

so, if i upgrade my CPU to an i7, will that make much difference?

yeah, i'm sure that's the case here.

so, if i upgrade my CPU to an i7, will that make much difference?

If you rule everything else out I think you would benefit. Single core performance is king. Upgrading to the i7 8700k or 9700k would probably benefit you a lot. What Mobo do you have? Remember that you need a mobo with a 390 chipset to run the i7 or i9.

If you rule everything else out I think you would benefit. Single core performance is king. Upgrading to the i7 8700k or 9700k would probably benefit you a lot. What Mobo do you have? Remember that you need a mobo with a 390 chipset to run the i7 or i9.

yeah, i'm on an 1150 chipset, so it would have to be an i7 4990 or something like that.

unless i buy a new mobo, which is probably the right thing to do.

yeah, i'm on an 1150 chipset, so it would have to be an i7 4990 or something like that.

unless i buy a new mobo, which is probably the right thing to do.

You can find decent deals on i7 8700k with new mobo combo on Amazon a lot of the time. Upgrading the mobo will help “future proof” the system. It it was me and I was going to spend the money on a new cpu I would want the board. This will allow you to take advantage of new GPU’s as well in the future. But everyone’s situation is different.

From my experience, DCS feeds off of cpu overclocking. The faster the smoother.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals