Rift S mic stability

streakeagle

I have had the Rift S since release. I saw an immense increase in image quality with a minimal drop in performance (falling from 45 fps to 40 fps), but from the very first time I tried to use the mic for voice commands in DCS World, I noticed the mic wasn't working. If I unplugged the USB then plugged it back in, it would work as long as I didn't run an application that used the mic, which includes the Oculus software that has to run to play DCS World. I was typically using Shoot 1.6 for voice commands, but upgraded to VoiceAttack to enjoy all the bells and whistles it offered by being directly tied into the game. But my mic would typically die within a minute or two of starting a mission in DCS World, though sometimes it might last the whole mission, but die after I exited DCS World back to the desktop.

Oculus support was worthless, only suggesting to do what I had already done: updating drivers, trying different USB ports, etc. None of which worked. But I kept hoping for a patch to fix things. But after many weeks (months?), nothing had changed. Finally the 1.40 beta and associated firmware came out and behold, my mic was rock solid stable. Then 1.40 release came out, no change. Then 1.41 beta came out and my mic was broke again. I reverted back to 1.40, but no dice. So, it wasn't the 1.40 version that fixed the problem. I tweaked some windows settings for microphone permissions (enabled everything under the sun) and I left the USB and display port cables unplugged while rebooting the PC. By some miracle the mic worked 100% for days. Then a new patch came down today and it was broke again.

I can't seem to find exactly what triggers the failure nor what fixes the problem for a long time. As of right now, I tried the unplug, reboot, and plug back in only to have immediate failure within 2 minutes of starting a mission. I made sure to go back to the USB port where it had worked the longest and best, and behold the mic survived a mission and closing DCS World.

It is frustrating. I need it to work reliably for both offline single player with voice commands and online for player-to-player voice comms, particularly for Aces High. It sure would be nice to fix the problem once and for all, but I can seem to nail down the root cause or what action fixes the problem for any decent length of time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not using Voice Attack yet.

But when you're on the desktop, with Oculus software launched before launching DCS, check in the settings if Rift S mic is selected, but also in the task bar the windows sound options.

On a side note, you didn't lost performance.

Most other headset are 90Hz with 45fps mode when the hardware can't provide.

Rift S is 80Hz, so it's down to 40fps (ASW) when it can't match 80fps.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Mine has started to glitch out occasionally - not as severe as yours sounds. When it does I have to unplug the USB and plug it back in to get it back.

I am thinking about just getting a stand alone mic and set it on my desk.

I use earbuds and was thinking about getting a set of earbuds with mic built in, but after checking

unfortunately the Rift Audio jack does not support mic.

I would think you could start a support ticket and get a return/replacement.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, more of a driver software/driver issue. You can see the problem in the windows audio devices list, where the mic stops registering sound, while the mic from my other headset with TrackIR works continuously.

As Oculus has had problems with USB 3 drivers and bandwidth, they reduced the problem by eliminating the sensor towers, but I suspect that they are still having some issues. Other people have exactly the same problem I do, and can only reset the mic by unplugging the USB port: so what is it about unplugging the USB that fixes the problem versus rebooting the computer or restarting the Oculus software? Firmware updates also reset the mic.

Could it be an amplifier that is intermittently bad that is reset when you cut power to it? If so, why is it that sometimes I can get it to work for a week or more without any problems until the next time power is interrupted by a firmware update or cable being moved?

I had a support ticket and after a week or two of useless advice, I gave up. Everything they would ask me to do, I had already done more than once. They principally assume that I am too stupid to choose the correct device in windows and that it is just a loose cable. Their theory of plugging into every USB 3 port until I find one that works best seems stupid, but for some reason may actually affect the stability... and I have no idea why any one port connected to the same motherboard chip would have any advantages over any other port (perhaps less noise?), but none of the other USB devices I have ever had cared about which particular port you used as long as the port met the correct USB 1/2/3 requirement the device required.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

@streakeagle were you able to find a solution for your issue? I have the same or at least a similar issue and gave up talking to the support as well. They were re-asking the same questions over and over again - like an endless support template loop.

What I've noticed is, that it is usually fine when I am only in Discord. As soon as I join SRS as well, the mic stops working after roughly an hour.

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Glad I've found this as it is an issue that I have been having repeatedly. Sometimes the mic can work for a whole session others it can just be knocked out and I have no idea after five minutes. It's only in DCS, but once it's happened the Mic does not work anywhere. Oculus did nothing and I've not seen the issue reported elsewhere.

Has there been any kind of resolution to this? I've got a headset with a good microphone but the headset doesn't fit over the Halo strap. I used to use it all the time with the Rift CV1 because that had issues with the sound cable getting broken by the strap extension mechanism.

I use Voice Attack, Discord and SRS so I really do depend on the Mic when I am in DCS! As above SRS seems to make the issue happen more often, and I have put it down to this before but it's happening when SRS isn't running as well. I don't know it it is to do with the integration in DCS though, but there is a definite problem caused with the Rift-S.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tom1502

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I still have the same issue, too. I have yet to find a fix for it. The odd thing is that it sometimes works for weeks just to happen again in the worst possible moment. It doesn’t seem to be an issue just related to DCS/SRS, since I found a lot of other reports of the same issue all over the internet. I personally gave up trying to find a solution and am just trying to live with it ...

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

Shame really as it’s a decent enough headset. Glad it’s not just a DCS thing...kind of! I just don’t play anything else the required voice comms in VR. I have exactly the same thing though. Weeks of running smoothly and then it happens repeatedly without warning.

I have a Reverb G2 due soon and I’m hoping it stops from then on!

• Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Oculus Rift S

Unfortunately my headphones don’t fit over the Halo band. I used to do that with my Rift CV1. I have speakers for the DCS sounds but all the helmet sounds and voice comms and done through the headset. It’s fine for that (when the Mic is working!)

• Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Oculus Rift S