Multiplayer/Singleplayer popularity poll 2019/20

D4n

What would you say you spend more time flying in, currently: In DCS singleplayer missions, or flying on (any) DCS multiplayer servers?

https://strawpoll.com/we77kwg9

If you voted for Singleplayer, please feel free to also state you reason(s) for your vote.

Edited by D4n
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Almost exclusively multiplayer

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why put the Poll external, rather than on this thread itself?

Edit: Voted Single Player, the reason being that I enjoy it more and it fits better with my available free time.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Single player.

The trouble with MP is that half the time it’s running the Beta so that would require two installs of DCS. Not really worthwhile.

Also much of MP isn’t very well done. Sorry. Mission designs etc aren’t very good. Ground crew commands don’t work on some servers. Just a host of problems.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Singleplayer mostly, I just haven't yet done most of the base stuff for me to dvelve deeper heh, keep holding it off, and there's also other things like I don't think anywhere over 50 ms lag is a realistic experience to be honest, will the hits/dodges really be fair? Most of the gaming has loads of complicated netcode tricks to make things look smooth but that's all an illusion.

I think DCS even if it's not regarded esports, would be justified to feature a strict latency mode where noboody could have certain network parameters over the limit for a certain amount of time if so the game would freeze completely with a standard interruption screen/overlay and displaying network info until the network has recovered. During normal gampeplay there would be a status info dialog or perhaps overlay just like the SysInfo, in which it would display the network quality between the server and yourself, with a larger page displaying the detailed info on all the players, ping in just one measurement, it would also show jitter and more importantly a history graph for these values, it would also show the upper limit of the allowed ping and jitter, but I think there could be some more that's unusual, like not relying on ping or jitter, these are sampled values over time and averages, ping is a number that usually updates only once per second or two, the response could be improved a bit and perhaps shown with precision of two decimal places, but that's just for users kicks, the system wuldn't rely on these numbers, it would directly monitor all the delays of all the packets, if there's a packet that came in a bit too late than what the threshold is then it'll kick things off whatever the condition is, it would be quite harsh if it would interrupt if only 1 packet was slightly too late, some kind of a buffer zone, if limit is 10ms and a packet somes in at 12 ms then the next one comes in at 9ms it should leave that slide, but if there's more and more packets coming in at 12-13ms repeatedly for enough time that is configured it'll keep counting that up until it triggers some action, the buffer zone let's say it would be between 10 and 20, okay so over the buffer zone, 10 is the primary limit, 20 secondary, even tertiary, if you keep running under 10ms for like hours and then one comes in at 25ms then that's a bit too high so it should have more of an severity level than a 12ms packet. That's the rough idea.

However, it's all about dropping the smoothing algorithms down to that tight level, anything up it'll just freeze, which means you'll get stuttering but not if all of your private party players happen to have FTTH internet and are relatively close. So this feature would be meant for mainly ISP issues that come sporadically and randomly and may last for a couple of seconds or minutes in total. There is no punishment or anything, since this mode would be pre-negotiated and enabled so it wouldn't be forced on anyone, unless the server wants to enforce it and open to public that's their choice.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Single player. Primarily due to issues that arise within DCS (frame rate and memory consumption at the moment). Also, many of the "good/fun" servers require Discord - which becomes massively annoying with all the banter and chatter that goes on - making flying sometimes not enjoyable due to all the non important information being relayed. SRS can be a good alternative, but many don't seem to use it and then brings back the annoyance. Further down the road, hopefully becomes more used or desired - as brevity seems to be difficult to achieve when using Discord. A true dynamic campaign arriving in single player format would probably end nearly any desire to fly online, but one never knows I suppose.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Singleplayer mostly, I just haven't yet done most of the base stuff for me to dvelve deeper heh, keep holding it off, and there's also other things like I don't think anywhere over 50 ms lag is a realistic experience to be honest, will the hits/dodges really be fair? Most of the gaming has loads of complicated netcode tricks to make things look smooth but that's all an illusion.

I think DCS even if it's not regarded esports, would be justified to feature a strict latency mode where noboody could have certain network parameters over the limit for a certain amount of time if so the game would freeze completely with a standard interruption screen/overlay and displaying network info until the network has recovered. During normal gampeplay there would be a status info dialog or perhaps overlay just like the SysInfo, in which it would display the network quality between the server and yourself, with a larger page displaying the detailed info on all the players, ping in just one measurement, it would also show jitter and more importantly a history graph for these values, it would also show the upper limit of the allowed ping and jitter, but I think there could be some more that's unusual, like not relying on ping or jitter, these are sampled values over time and averages, ping is a number that usually updates only once per second or two, the response could be improved a bit and perhaps shown with precision of two decimal places, but that's just for users kicks, the system wuldn't rely on these numbers, it would directly monitor all the delays of all the packets, if there's a packet that came in a bit too late than what the threshold is then it'll kick things off whatever the condition is, it would be quite harsh if it would interrupt if only 1 packet was slightly too late, some kind of a buffer zone, if limit is 10ms and a packet somes in at 12 ms then the next one comes in at 9ms it should leave that slide, but if there's more and more packets coming in at 12-13ms repeatedly for enough time that is configured it'll keep counting that up until it triggers some action, the buffer zone let's say it would be between 10 and 20, okay so over the buffer zone, 10 is the primary limit, 20 secondary, even tertiary, if you keep running under 10ms for like hours and then one comes in at 25ms then that's a bit too high so it should have more of an severity level than a 12ms packet. That's the rough idea.

However, it's all about dropping the smoothing algorithms down to that tight level, anything up it'll just freeze, which means you'll get stuttering but not if all of your private party players happen to have FTTH internet and are relatively close. So this feature would be meant for mainly ISP issues that come sporadically and randomly and may last for a couple of seconds or minutes in total. There is no punishment or anything, since this mode would be pre-negotiated and enabled so it wouldn't be forced on anyone, unless the server wants to enforce it and open to public that's their choice.

You are overthinking it. I play DCS 99% online for about 10 years. My ping to US East servers is about 160ms. The netcode has been improved a lot; in the past we had issues with warping and rubber-banding, now its gone even with highly populated servers. This is not a quick reaction Counter-Strike type of game which would require single digits latency to be competitive.

If everybody enforced sub-50ms Europeans, South Americans, North Americans, Koreans etc. would never be able to play together. The multi-culturality of DCS online play and the variety of people you would enconter online is one of the factors that makes it enjoyable for me.

I think your looking to much into it here perhaps. I play on the largest server in the USA. We can only get 200+ ping and the guy who runs the sever is ok with that, as long as you can keep a stable connection and he can check this. Which is more important. I have seen guy's with pings well over 500ms and not lag spike.

DCS will update a hit if there are lag spikes etc. No illusion here, once the sever is updated your still dead based on the calculations. You don't even see this generally, only with large lag spikes.

When it happens, it's like that missile was close (Real close) then dead half a second later.

Single player. Primarily due to issues that arise within DCS (frame rate and memory consumption at the moment). Also, many of the "good/fun" servers require Discord - which becomes massively annoying with all the banter and chatter that goes on - making flying sometimes not enjoyable due to all the non important information being relayed. SRS can be a good alternative, but many don't seem to use it and then brings back the annoyance. Further down the road, hopefully becomes more used or desired - as brevity seems to be difficult to achieve when using Discord. A true dynamic campaign arriving in single player format would probably end nearly any desire to fly online, but one never knows I suppose.

Cheers,

Don

I use SRS when things are to busy on Discord. Or some will drop down into another channel on Discord. It's good when Magic GCI is on a dedicated SRS channel and not just the main Discord.

If the severs can utilize (access) parts of the DC on the sever? Plus use CA too. Things could get very interesting online.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Cheers,

Don

I agree that sometimes banter is annoying. You only want to fly, follow brevity and try to play out some tactics or fullfill a certain server objective. I mostly stay off Discord, only using SRS which by its nature prevents unneccessary chatter. There are always similar minded people out there - you just found one (me). Just think about what you may be missing by not playing online.

I agree that sometimes banter is annoying. You only want to fly, follow brevity and try to play out some tactics or fullfill a certain server objective. I mostly stay off Discord, only using SRS which by its nature prevents unneccessary chatter. There are always similar minded people out there - you just found one (me). Just think about what you may be missing by not playing online.

I'd like to try it out again, used to fly in a dynamic multiplayer server a lot with the A10C quite awhile back - been exclusively flying the Hornet, pretty much since it was first released in early access - but was always frustrated to quickly get shot down in MP servers after all the start up procedures and take off. The other part being that my time schedule often made it difficult and would have to take the VR off and tend to things, sometimes frustrating members in said server (which I can understand) when coordinating attacks, etc.

Will give it a go, thanks for the encouragement. Back to home base on Sunday.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

This has been done before and discussed ad nauseum. The majority of the population is offline. ED themselves has said so, as will anybody who actually looks at the server pop (which is unable to sustain such an expensive product as DCS on its own).

Why? Most people do not want to deal with the drama, cheating, poor attitudes/behavior, and unrealistic scenarios, and they don't want/can't meet clan criteria for activity levels.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

flying online most of the time, but nearly always in our own, private server

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

About 90% singleplayer, it's just more fun than dealing with other people (my first ever MP game had some dude from our team taking low passes over the runway until he crashed into the spawning jets when he got bored. It improved a bit, but generally: hell is other people)

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Yeah good point, I would never be able to fulfill activity quota for clans and be on time, I would need to have time for it to be interesting, the time has to be right when there's time and all those things fall together, I think it's a matter of time, and it's kinda pity that it feels as if MP isn't good, no actually it's all about us and our stuff rather than MP it self, when more people will populate it that do have the time it'll be self-sustainable so there will be always someone up playing throught the day which will set the stage for everyone else who is occasional, and sure dedicated servers and other stuff will definitely help and I was reading all those happenings and this proves that I'm interested genuinely, this is again the "phantom customer" phenomenon I talked about recently, the people who wake up from the deep sleep once a feature or product is right there, so this MP effort isn't for nothing infact it's necessary to support something in it's beginnings, if there is potential, it's like a locomotive, you need a lot of power and effort to get it started and going, once it has that momentum it's a lot easier, there's so many stuff that I do every day and things come by surprise, right now I'm trying to root and clean preinstalled app bloatware off the newly bought Huawei MediaPad M5 so that it doesn't bother while my relatives will mainly use it for GPS nav, tomorrow I might be mixing some concrete to fix uneven pathway, the next day I could write some userscript code for the browser I was trying to for a few months, I want those cyrllic letters in latin and if I can't find the solution I'll just do it my self ... just yesterday I was listening to 5 hours of british pairlament .. ORDER ORDER ... THE AYS TO THE LEFT ... UNLOCK ... I think it's going to take a while before those voices get out of my head haha.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

A true dynamic campaign arriving in single player format would probably end nearly any desire to fly online, but one never knows I suppose.

Cheers,

Don

I play only single player at this time, but I will say that my favorite times playing were using the multiplayer dynamic campaign with 1-3 friends in that "other" sim. Start a campaign, fly a few sorties with friends, save it, start it where you left off, rinse and repeat. A server running a campaign in real time is fun also if it's private (VFW), just can get out of control if open to anyone with people hopping on and losing plane after plane because they don't give a crap..

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

I think your looking to much into it here perhaps. I play on the largest server in the USA. We can only get 200+ ping and the guy who runs the sever is ok with that, as long as you can keep a stable connection and he can check this. Which is more important. I have seen guy's with pings well over 500ms and not lag spike.

DCS will update a hit if there are lag spikes etc. No illusion here, once the sever is updated your still dead based on the calculations. You don't even see this generally, only with large lag spikes.

When it happens, it's like that missile was close (Real close) then dead half a second later.

So you think the server basically plays the game it self? I actually don't know in detail so I'm speculating a bit. How can the server know if you ejected 250ms before missile hit, but your packet time is 500ms?

When SAR arrives, ejections, rescues could have a big impact on the score in such a game mode, including salvaging spare parts from emergency landings, say you're A-10C went down 10 miles away from the airport, your commander could send a utility truck to recover the airplane and maybe you'd get some ammunition back, perhaps some fuel, it may not be much for one airplane but in a big game mode over many hours and many airplanes that can add up and in a resource limited RTS-style game, as it was officially I think mentioned, it will be important whether or not you really got hit by that bullet that made your gastanks leak or did you really eject and survived the missile impact for there to be anyone to rescue at all.

What I'd love to see is the re-emergence of LAN ... why isn't DCS around those Russian MAKS air shows and other gatherings, there could be a small LAN party thrown each time.

Edited by Worrazen

99.99% single player. Been there once, did not like it.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1: ED Forums feature a simple poll option. Having people visit another site to participate reeks of a scam.

2: The previous 1622 polls asking the exact same question have mostly revealed that this kind of poll is utterly useless, as only a fraction of the community participates (probably less here, thanks to #1), a simple two options is insufficient to reach a conclusion of what people actually want and quite a few people would actually go for the 'both' option, which doesn't tell you anything. In conclusion: whatever.

MP 100%

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

SP almost exclusively, but as others have said, this topic has been beaten to death and ED has confirmed the results. So what is the point of bringing it up yet again?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: