New F-22A Raptor Video: BEWARE Su Pilots and Fanbois

Nice T/W ratio. :) I know this is going to sound totally biased, but it's my honest opinion. USAF demos are so dry with the side-to-side passes... It's not the plane, it's the routine. Pass, turn, pass, climb, pass, turn, pass, climb...

Compare USAF F-16 demos to the Netherlands' for example - what a difference! In general, I find European demos the most exciting with a good balance of power, grace and clean execution. Russian demos are also quite distinctive to me as the most stylish, almost dance-like, but the least exciting.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

That was pretty damn cool - I don't think I saw anything that I haven't come to expect from Russian demo's, but it's the first time I've seen the F-22 showing what it's got & if I was watching these manouvers for the first time I'd be well impressed.

It's a shame the raptor has nowhere to hang smoke from for shows (although - doesn't it have the option of external hardpoints ?) because it would make seeing the tailslides easier, but it's a very cool bit of kit.

Cheers.

Nice T/W ratio. :) I know this is going to sound totally biased, but it's my honest opinion.

It doesn't sound biased. It really is kinda boring. Seeing the thrust vectoring is nice but all in all...

But it wasn't built to show off at airshows.

I wonder if any ATC was able to pick it up on radar. :D

I love Su-27 but I also love the state-of-the-art F-22... what does it make me? Hybrid fan?!?! No, I'm just aviation fan, that's it. It's always been part of my life, it's my hobby, it's my job. Both planes are remarkable and make my heart beat faster.

I hate word fanboi. It's just so lame to use it.

If you somehow missed the first public air display of F-22 here it is: http://stage6.divx.com/user/shamandgg/video/1227367/First-ever-F-22-public-air-show

It's great too!

I've been witnessing sliding backwards "dzwon" many times done by our MiG-29As.. but as the narrator says.. not many planes can do that.

Pity there was no supersonic pass.

• Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I love this US style presentation - music like in GLADIATOR end scene, and comment like before armagedon:lol: Anyway nice video coll detailed shots, thanks for share. I hope we will see this bird also soon here in Europe on some airshow.

It's a very nice plane but, you cannot stop yourself saying... "Hey, look, just like Su-27 and Mig 29s...finaly"

I am no fanboy as I like almost all kind of planes (YF-23 would kick F-22 arse :P ) and what I pitty most is that now only in military you can find the real uberplanes... not that a glider is bad but, is not... max performance.

P.S. The comentator is terrible... but... :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I love this US style presentation - music like in GLADIATOR end scene, and comment like before armagedon:lol:

Agreed, that video should have a comedy health warning. I nearly bust a gut laughing!

"Prepare for Freedom's thunder!"

Still, it illustrates nicely just how wide the cultural gulf between the USA and Europe can be at times.

It's an interesting aircraft though, and some bits of that routine are quite impressive. Ok, there's nothing there to match the kind of antics Migs and Sukhois get up to, but given the price tag on a Raptor I imagine the pilots aren't really allowed to push the envelope too hard.

Andrew McP

Agreed, that video should have a comedy health warning. I nearly bust a gut laughing!

"Prepare for Freedom's thunder!"

Still, it illustrates nicely just how wide the cultural gulf between the USA and Europe can be at times.

Well that's so called "Americana", cultural wise, modern americans are very diffrent.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Western aircraft at airshows have always been very conservative. Thats why the public is so wowed at russians displays. Dont get me wrong, they have great T/W and benign stall charestics but their pilots are allowed to do risky manuevers wich in the west simply are not considered. It is often observed people rushing into conclusions based on differences of their displays.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Very interesting, we finally see a US plane able to slide backwards.

And on top of this it is very fast in changing the inputs, feels like it could be on par with the 29OVT in terms of those maneuvers. But still, the 22 lacks the 3d vectoring, and I wonder if separate left/right thrust output is going to be enough to make the raptor capable of for example the "boomerang" maneuver the 29ovt showed.

Did you see how very fast the raptor increased AoA? I'm not talking about how high it got, but how fast the change in turn rate was. Very nice to see.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

F22A is very impressive and certainly the US should be proud of it. However the display was too clinical and its a pity its not really thrown about a bit more. They should have got the guy that does the Movie trailer narration to do the commentary, because it was so Hollywood!!

I miss the old days when they used to very low passes over the crowd from behind with full reheat. Those were the days.

Well that's so called "Americana", cultural wise, modern americans are very diffrent.

Don't worry, I realise there are as many types of American as there are types of European. We all have bits of our culture which we're not so proud of. :-)

Andrew McP

Western aircraft at airshows have always been very conservative. Thats why the public is so wowed at russians displays. Dont get me wrong, they have great T/W and benign stall charestics but their pilots are allowed to do risky manuevers wich in the west simply are not considered. It is often observed people rushing into conclusions based on differences of their displays.

So you are saying that the western aircrafts could do the same but dont want to? If I rush into the conclusion that only a russian pilot could do a cobra or something crazy in a low level dogfight I am wrong... the western could do it also?

This thing with... "Oh, the russians are let to risk their necks but, their manouvres are useless in dogfight... oops, we've just copied them... and we don't show all that we can do..." is a bit funny for me :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

F22A is very impressive and certainly the US should be proud of it. However the display was too clinical and its a pity its not really thrown about a bit more. They should have got the guy that does the Movie trailer narration to do the commentary, because it was so Hollywood!!

I miss the old days when they used to very low passes over the crowd from behind with full reheat. Those were the days.

..the days of getting your hearing impaired at the flight show? :D

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

So you are saying that the western aircrafts could do the same but dont want to? If I rush into the conclusion that only a russian pilot could do a cobra or something crazy in a low level dogfight I am wrong... the western could do it also?

This thing with... "Oh, the russians are let to risk their necks but, their manouvres are useless in dogfight... oops, we've just copied them... and we don't show all that we can do..." is a bit funny for me :P

The F-16 cannot do the cobra, it cant even exceed 32 degrees AOA or risk a spin but what you cannot see in air displays is how quick and responsive it is from the pilots perspective. Its turning ability cannot be shown in the same spectacular way as the russian planes can, though the importance each of the manuevers in combat differs for each of these planes. I would consider the Falcons quick response more important than a cobra wich no one will do in combat. Infact a tight turn with low AOA would be preferrable, even if it would look much less spectacular form the ground.

Of course what I say about the F-16 is also true to other fighters such as the F-18, Gripen, Rafale, Eurofighter, etc but to a greater degree since the falcon is getting old compared to those planes.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Draken can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do4EYztU2yg

Still think the X-31 pnwes all.

Yeah, this plane cobra:ed in the sixties ;)

I was pretty surprised when I saw this the first time, especially considering this plane began development in 59 iirc and was in production and flyable late sixties.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'