On the subject of VR Improvements...

NineLine

• ED Team

Hey guys, I know most have been waiting for some info on VR Improvements, this is what I have.

While our initial tests showed up to 50% increase in test conditions, it could not be duplicated by most customers. Some customers saw improvements, but it appears that this is dependent on machine specs. After analyzing the VR performance data, it was determined that in order to make large VR performance gains, it would need to be part of a more encompassing engine improvement that includes Vulkan. We will continue to improve performance where we can, but right now the move towards a larger engine improvement is required and being worked on.

Thanks all, I know its not the best answer, but we want to be honest and show that we are not giving up on it, but realize that bigger changes will be needed for moving forward.

• Like 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I do look forward to improvements in the future, I did at least get some improvements a little while back. Guess I was on of the lucky ones.

But definitely needs more and glad it is at least on the radar.

Thanks for the update.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

....a larger engine improvement is required and being worked on.

nice to hear, that besides modules also engine improvement is being worked on.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Very much looking forward to Vulkan arriving. I did read some comments about a well known commercial flight sim who are currently testing Vulkan, with apparently good results.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Any info on what specs or hardware made the difference for when it worked or not?
I think it's a good idea to not give that info. It'll make people buy that in the hopes of getting better performance, while the actual issue is not what hardware people have, but optimizing DCS for all hardware.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

@Nineline

All of this makes sense and is surely the best approach for the longer term.

At the same time the infamous ”kegeteys vr” mod reliably delivers 50% improvements with minimal graphic quality compromises. Any chance you could officially support a similar approach so that such a mod would be usable in multiplayer?

The update news for clouds being worked on and work on the DCS engine towards vulkan... THIS IS THE KINDA STUFF WE NEED TO HEAR MORE OF!

new modules is nice.. but improvement to the base game.. EVEN BETTER!!

keep doing what you guys are doing..

Fully on your side. Main sim core improvements and feature updates (AI, dyn. campaign,..) are the thing what brings the game forward. Not starting every month with a new module.

So Vulkan got at last some priority?

• Like 1

Why not start splitting the main code in differents threads, AI, Physics Calculation, Representation, Dynamic loading, net coding, plane' system, traditionally games developers didn't use multi-thread because of A: It was more complicated, B: the performance improvement obtained wasn't enough to justify A and C: only a limited number of user could afford to have the required machine but today the average new machine comes with 6 cores. I am very doubling that Vulkan is going to be the silver bullet many guys think.

I’m not having high hope for Vulkan. Checked the latest high profile Vulkan game, No Man Sky. The frame rate in VR really didn’t impress me. I actually can’t think of any Vulkan games that offer a hugh performance leap.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I’m not having high hope for Vulkan. Checked the latest high profile Vulkan game, No Man Sky. The frame rate in VR really didn’t impress me. I actually can’t think of any Vulkan games that offer a hugh performance leap.

How about FlyInside?

and a thread that includes some examples:

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• ED Team
Question about that, will Vulkan utilize as many CPU cores as possible or will it be limited or stay as it is now?

I'm asking because I'm planning a new PC build and that impacts whether I stay with Intel or go AMD.

We are looking at better multi-core support as well, but no solid info on that right now.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I would think DCS in particular would gain a significant benefit of multi-core support or Vulkan,

just because the engines has much more to calculate in real-time than a 3rd person shooter or usual PC game.

If everything is running through one or two CPU cores, the graphic adapter will always run unchallenged, as the CPU can´t deliver the graphical instructions at the same clock while it is busy with other calculation, like telemetrics, AI or any other ingame real-time system.

I´m pretty sure DCS ingame performance will benefit a lot of Vulkan if multi cores are well used for the tasks.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

The key is here:

While our initial tests showed up to 50% increase in test conditions, it could not be duplicated by most customers. Some customers saw improvements, but it appears that this is dependent on machine specs

Apparently I was one of the lucky few that saw some nice improvement. And apparently they were seeing it in testing and got excited to share, probably a little premature in doing so. Certainly disappointing for many, but thankfully it is still on the radar for the future. Sounds like it will be a while though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...

It's a pity

Hey guys, I know most have been waiting for some info on VR Improvements, this is what I have.

While our initial tests showed up to 50% increase in test conditions, it could not be duplicated by most customers. Some customers saw improvements, but it appears that this is dependent on machine specs. After analyzing the VR performance data, it was determined that in order to make large VR performance gains, it would need to be part of a more encompassing engine improvement that includes Vulkan. We will continue to improve performance where we can, but right now the move towards a larger engine improvement is required and being worked on.

Thanks all, I know its not the best answer, but we want to be honest and show that we are not giving up on it, but realize that bigger changes will be needed for moving forward.

Oh! It's a pity to hear this news. I hope you will be able to improve the VR performance in DCS and the core engine. I will buy more DLC when I see that. Keep on pushing ED!!:thumbup:

• 3 months later...

not to kick a dead horse here, however:

When testing some fps and settings for my Reverb, I did find quite a difference in fps based on the map, so there is certainly a correlation here.

ie. on a popular mp server (104th).

mission #1 Caucus - spawn in at Sochi. 45 fps. Flight was consistent 43-48 fps

mission #2 Persian Gulf - spawn in at Kish. 60 fps. Flight was consistent 55-60 fps

Both flown in F-15. So I do fully believe the map itself is a major part of the fps.

Norm, I imagine you are a bit gun shy after all the noise about that last go-round, but is there any chance you could tell us a little something about how the Vulcan thing is coming along?

Is it looking like there's a good chance it will happen this year? If yes, any chance it might make it in H1?

A lot of people expect Vulcan to be a magic bullet. I don't know anything about game engines and such but I do not believe in magic bullets. Hopefully the improvement will be pretty significant, but I wish folks would keep their expectations reasonable. With enough hype, disappointment can be guaranteed!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim: