On the subject of VR Improvements...

NineLine

Norm, I imagine you are a bit gun shy after all the noise about that last go-round, but is there any chance you could tell us a little something about how the Vulcan thing is coming along?

Is it looking like there's a good chance it will happen this year? If yes, any chance it might make it in H1?

A lot of people expect Vulcan to be a magic bullet. I don't know anything about game engines and such but I do not believe in magic bullets. Hopefully the improvement will be pretty significant, but I wish folks would keep their expectations reasonable. With enough hype, disappointment can be guaranteed!

I'm not banking on any improvement in terms of FPS, but probably more stable FPS / fewer stutters as things are spread across more cores.

I'm just curious... about the the way things are rendered in VR, is there some sorting of objects, based on distance from virtual cameras, so that calculations on far objects are not made twice ? Cause if (very) close things appear (very) differently from left eye to right eye, it's not the case when looking further ahead.

I'v done a bit of 3D programming years ago but only for studies/hobby, so... just curious of how it works :)

10700K / 4090 / 32Go / 34" curved Gigabyte / Reverb G1 / Thrustmaster hardware among other harderware things.

I find your lack of FPS disturbing...
C8<]

not to kick a dead horse here, however:

When testing some fps and settings for my Reverb, I did find quite a difference in fps based on the map, so there is certainly a correlation here.

ie. on a popular mp server (104th).

mission #1 Caucus - spawn in at Sochi. 45 fps. Flight was consistent 43-48 fps

mission #2 Persian Gulf - spawn in at Kish. 60 fps. Flight was consistent 55-60 fps

Both flown in F-15. So I do fully believe the map itself is a major part of the fps.

I got the same kind of results by the old stutter when you look out right or left over cities, the caucasus was by far the best map PG and nevada about the same .

• 3 weeks later...

I think I speak for most DCS users that if ED would run a kick-starter for a new VR multi-core engine that would bring performance improvements we would all love to help drive this sooner rather than later.

Graphics and VR performance are starting to show their age a little especially with Flight Simulator 2020 coming out this year.

Crowd funding would enable ED to bring in more staff to push a new engine out a lot sooner.

Many of us would love to help and get VR DCS where it should rightly be in 2020.

• Like 1

especially with Flight Simulator 2020 coming out this year.

Question will be if you can run FS 2020 like you see it in the teaser video's.

My guess is you can't, at least not at the current hardware state. I can't remember any flightsim coming onto the market which i could run with all option set to high (or higher).

Also, in a video (which i can't find anymore) from an alpha tester he said neither the clouds (way less volumetric and less variation in colour) nor the terrain (way to flat) looked as good as in the teaser video's.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On the subject of VR Improvements...

My guess is you can't, at least not at the current hardware state. I can't remember any flightsim coming onto the market which i could run with all option set to high (or higher).

Also, in a video (which i can't find anymore) from an alpha tester he said neither the clouds (way less volumetric and less variation in colour) nor the terrain (way to flat) looked as good as in the teaser video's.

And so far they aren’t going to do VR. Trying to compare what we have here with what might come out in the future doesn’t make sense. DCS will continue to improve on ED’s timeframe. Especially when fs2020 is a civilian flight sim with no complex weapons.

Edited by ricktoberfest

• 3 months later...
Especially when fs2020 is a civilian flight sim with no complex weapons.

Yet... prepare for some competition :P

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2020 at 5:20 AM, Lange_666 said:

I tried out FS2020 thinking a Modern games got to run better in VR.

It was a disappointing shitshow all around.

1. Performance was horrific and I had to compromise on visuals a lot.
  2. The real world map which sounds very exciting looks about how you would expect a zoomed in closeup of bing maps to look when you are down in the mud.
  3. Tooling around in a cessna that can't take more than a 30 degree bank safely isn't exactly thrilling compared to doing mach 1.8 in a Tomcat.
  4. Oh lord the controls setup, so awful.
  5. 150 gig install just to get started.

Not my cup of tea and not at all competition for DCS.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need all those resources whilst just in the menus?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, Robi Hobby said:

Is it possible to have a completely Empty Space , no SU-27 in the Hangar ( All Black ) Only the Selection Menu. To save as much PC resources as possible. 🤔

Why?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

3 hours ago, Robi Hobby said:

The SU-27 in the VR Hangar is not a Photo but a 3D Model that always runs in the background and is constantly being rendered and unnecessarily consumes PC resources.

I would rather have the option to save 1-2 FPS without a 3D hangar.

Pretty sure it is not running while you are flying no?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, Robi Hobby said:

The SU-27 in the VR Hangar is not a Photo but a 3D Model that always runs in the background and is constantly being rendered and unnecessarily consumes PC resources.

I would rather have the option to save 1-2 FPS without a 3D hangar.

I don't think the DCS hangar is the same as SteamVR Home or Windows Mixed Reality Home where the graphical environment is being run in the background all the time.  But, I don't know that for sure.  Not sure 1 or 2 FPS of performance gain would be worth messing with anything over.  You wouldn't be able to see that with your eyes.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Found something! The VR Hangar runs in the background when you are flying!

With a VR Hangar F-18 Mod I had light reflections when flying because the F-18 in the hangar had its Taxi light on and I saw it constantly like a curtain of light when flying the UH-1H.
Now my VR Hangar is empty and black and I have a stable 40fps with the F-16 in Nevada Map. 

36 minutes ago, Robi Hobby said:

Found something! The VR Hangar runs in the background when you are flying!

With a VR Hangar F-18 Mod I had light reflections when flying because the F-18 in the hangar had its Taxi light on and I saw it constantly like a curtain of light when flying the UH-1H.
Now my VR Hangar is empty and black and I have a stable 40fps with the F-16 in Nevada Map. 

Yeah but that is with a mod, what about just the stock hangar?

Don B

Don't have the F-18 Hangar Mod anymore and only use the Original.

I am only using the New Empty Black Mod today. I'll watch if it's better that way (OpenBeta)

Have a lot of Modules and will try it out if it can save a few FPS.

Have only i7 7700K  32MB RAM RTX 2070   VR Rift S.

1 hour ago, Robi Hobby said:

Don't have the F-18 Hangar Mod anymore and only use the Original.

I am only using the New Empty Black Mod today. I'll watch if it's better that way (OpenBeta)

Have a lot of Modules and will try it out if it can save a few FPS.

Have only i7 7700K  32MB RAM RTX 2070   VR Rift S.

can you share your Empty Black Mod?

I saw the VR improvements Team Fusion is doing for IL-2 COD, and I'd love to see them in DCS, especially the rotation amplification as I'm a bit stiff to the neck these days and find it difficult to check my deep six without doing an hour of yoga every day.

TL;DR; these are the improvements presented (that aren't supported by DCS):

- Rotation amplification (like with TIR, you can adjust the progressive reaction of the view as you rotate your head)

- Cockpit limiting your movement. No more sticking your head through the glass; makes for better immersion

- Forced IDP

Check it out:

Edited by moggel
  • Like 3

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

10 hours ago, moggel said:

especially the rotation amplification as I'm a bit stiff to the neck these days and find it difficult to check my deep six without doing an hour of yoga every day

Join the club!

Try Necksafer, originally developed for that other sim but works very well in DCS if you're using SteamVR

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67985-simple-tool-to-check-your-six/

• Thanks 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

On 9/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, Robi Hobby said:

check the link

I tested this just now, it makes very little difference in terms of performance to CPU or GPU frame time:

Frametime in ms  Delta From Baseline  
Test Baseline GPU CPU GPU CPU  Changes
82 Test 75 9.52 8.55     Average for Baseline 2.7.6, FSR1.1, Windows 11, Hotfix Shaders
95 Test 82 9.62 8.38 -0.11 0.17 Blank VR Hanger

depending on how CPU vs GPU bound you are it might make as much of .25 FPS difference ...  but generally anything less than .5ms is just as likely to be margin of error

p.s. I will add that in the Menu it makes a difference of performance... but menu performance isn't something I generally worry about.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 1 month later...

One of the biggest potential areas of improvement in VR is the way interaction is handled with the switches,knobs and gauges. Basically, right now it's very clunky... Super easy to make a mistake because they auto-trigger. VTOL VR does this perfectly both with what happens when hand goes unto stick (binds to stick) as opposed to the opposite, as well as how clicking/feedback is done when interacting with the cockpit.