Is VR worth $3000?

jonatron5

So I've been into DCS for a while and i'm considering doing a full VR build but the cost seems pretty high still.

I figured

1000 for the HTC vive.

1000 for the rtx2080 ti.

1000 for a new chair and hotas setup.

I mean I could do it, but it seems like a lot of money. Is it worth the investment for the casual player?

I often find myself decided not to play DCS because track IR is such a pain to fiddle with.

You will never know until you gave it a try. Order the VR headset and gfx card from a shop with a consumer friendly return policy.

In my opinion: if TrackIR seems like a hassle, then VR is double.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Yeah the problem with Trackir, is I had to calibrate it every single time I wanted to use it and there where certain angles i could turn my head to that would cause the tracker to flip out and bounce my camera allover the place.

Plus I think about how even the best VR headset still has a screen door effect. I question whether it's worth 3 months rent

... Is it worth the investment for the casual player?

In my opinion, the answer would be no .. tough I hardly consider a chair and new Hotas to be mandatory, and many people is happily doing VR with a 1070 card.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

All depends how much you're into the hobby and how much you're willing to spend. Over time, it surely can become a money sink.

VR is certainly a game changer and I personally no longer are willing to fly DCS in 2D anymore. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

VR worth 3k ? Absolutely ! But you don't have to spend that much to get in . 1k will get you a very good headset and graphics card , say a Rift S or Odyssey+ and a 2070 super . And until i can afford that upgrade , i'm having a blast with my 1070 and a CV1 , both of which one can obtain used for $500 or less total .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Vive is not worth it, there are other headsets that are newer, cheaper and/or better.

2080 Ti is not required to play VR, at least not on the cheaper headsets with lower resolution. DCS will kill any PC if you crank the settings too high.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I like VR alot, but I wouldn't want to go lower than my 1080. I think a 2070 or 2080 Super would handle it fine. I probably need to optimize settings more but I drop below 45 fps at busy fields.

btw I had the same difficulty with TrackIR, using the hat clip. I build an IR LED clip using instructions I found online, and haven't had any trouble with TrackIR since. I did have to order a plastic clip to be made from a 3D printer, but the cost was less then $15. Probably < $10 for the other parts - IR LEDs, resistors, fuse. I had scrap wire to use and I cannibalized on old USB cable to get power to the clip.

Nothing can take the place of looking out over the nose of the F-5E in VR though - the sense of scale is kindof mind-blowing.

Edited by oboe

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have no problems at all with a Rift S and a 1070 card.

What graphics settings are you using ? I'm debating whether to upgrade headset or GPU first .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

um: No! Thats it. I did exactly this mistake. First bought a Rift S. Thought my GTX 1080 / 16 GB RAM are too weak for VR cuz as soon as I moved my head to look out of a side window FPS went down to 20 which causes massive stuttering and the so called VR nausea. So I bought a Zotac 2080 AMP Super und a 32 GB 3200 RAM kit and overclocked my i 7700K. Result: (same graphic settings as before) As soon as I move my head to one side and look out the the window: FPS-->20, stuttering, nausea.

The fact is: DCS engine is simply not able to take advantage of the new generation of high end hardware. You can find tons of threads here where users with real monster PCs telling they have the same VR performance like others with GTX 1070 + 16 GB 2333 RAM and middle class CPU.

In VR the performance simply doesn´t scale with the hardware power. In Non VR you can really profit from fast hardware.

VG

Edit: I just found a nice example on youtube of a user with a quite strong rig: i 9800K, 32 GB, RTX 2080 XC Ultra. From ~ min 23 (air refueling) you can see that the FPS sometime go down to even below 20! At the same time look at the GPU and CPU usage (~70/60%) --> Although GPU and CPU have a lot of free capacities, frame rates drop by more than 50%! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vaHsjxY1vU

Edited by glycbz

um: No! Thats it. I did exactly this mistake. First bought a Rift S. Thought my GTX 1080 / 16 GB RAM are too weak for VR cuz as soon as I moved my head to look out of a side window FPS went down to 20 which causes massive stuttering and the so called VR nausea. So I bought a Zotac 2080 AMP Super und a 32 GB 3200 RAM kit and overclocked my i 7700K. Result: (same graphic settings as before) As soon as I move my head to one side and look out the the window: FPS-->20, stuttering, nausea.

The fact is: DCS engine is simply not able to take advantage of the new generation of high end hardware. You can find tons of threads here where users with real monster PCs telling they have the same VR performance like others with GTX 1070 + 16 GB 2333 RAM and middle class CPU.

In VR the performance simply doesn´t scale with the hardware power. In Non VR you can really profit from fast hardware.

VG

While i have seen much to support your view regarding hardware scaling , i would say your performance experience is atypical . I maintain 45 fps solo very low over the Caucasus dropping all kinds of ordinance without stuttering when looking to the side or anywhere else , that with quite high levels of eye-candy .

What your describing sounds like an issue with RAM, with sudden pop-in lag like that.

Also I have been aware most people have to turn graphics settings to medium when playing in VR to maintain teady frames.

The rest of my rig is pretty solid, I've got 32 gigs of ram and an I-9990k cpu.

My main bottleneck is the 1070. So I feel confident if I upgraded that I would be solid, just not sure if I can justify spending another 2 grand to make my setup run VR. When it's already pretty hot for standard HD gaming

If you have been sat on a broken kitchen chair for a while I can only imagine $3k might be better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, that's why I was going to use part of it to buy a new gaming/flight chair.

But now I here these guys talking about how the dcs engine doesn't support VR well and it's kinda turning me off

I wish I understood all of the talk about cores, cycles, MHZ, RAM and even Vulkans (other than Star Trek) but I'm too old and not bright enough :).

What I can tell you is that for me the VR is worth it. Now don't get me wrong, I do not use it all of the time because sometimes you just want to see DCS in its maximum unrestricted beauty, but I do use it most of the time and, for me, it was worth every penny spent on the rig and Rift-S.

I have Trackir for my non-VR flights but when the VR goes on, with the headset, it really is an entirely different experience. I noticed on my FB watch one day. My heart rate never really changes when I'm flying, it's relaxing no matter the situation and the old pumper chugs along at about 80bpm. However, I flew a few minutes ago tooling around in an F-18 trying to work through some SAMS and baddies in SU's and when I smacked into that mountainside I popped up the Rift-S and noticed the ticker was at 105. It will get ya :)

Just the ramblings of an old man.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What you described is not casual, not for DCS nor general gaming. If you're just ''testing'' DCS or experimenting then no, it's not worth it. If you're truly prepared to dump a few grand and hundreds of hours into it, then yes.

Don't spend what you can't afford to lose.

As for TrackIR the most common issues are sitting too far away, having bright lights behind you, or not having the curves configured properly. It's not at all difficult to set up or make work properly, certainly not in comparison to just playing DCS.

The deal with your tracker flipping out, you need to adjust the physical placement of it on your head or slightly increase your curves. It does that because it's losing track of the reflectors/leds or they are overlapping at certain angles. For example, I tilt my headset back slightly to allow full range of motion looking up. Placement of your camera is also a factor sometimes. It's beneficial sometimes to offset it to one side slightly or adjust the tilt.

TrackIR is very simple and easy to use. If you are having trouble with it, dumping a few grand on something much more complicated is not a great idea.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Yeah, that's why I was going to use part of it to buy a new gaming/flight chair.

But now I here these guys talking about how the dcs engine doesn't support VR well and it's kinda turning me off

At least get a proper chair. :renske:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Ya, if you struggle with TiR then a VR is maybe not yours, unless you are willing to fiddle with it.

I have no problems with TiR once set up correctly and VR is also pretty straight forward, just follow the guides.

Maybe you can check it out somewhere close and decide then.

Apart from that: GET THAT CHAIR ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X