Petes Brissy F18

bnepethomas

Hi Guys

Thought it must be time to get A-into-G and build another pit.

I'm cheating a little as I have a 'prebuilt' cardboard/fluteboard (Dogfight Boss) pit to start with. The plan is to light it with with live panels and displays. I fully expect a bunch of pieces of the pit frame will be replaced as the project progresses, but it is a great starting point.

For those interested in grabbing dodgy code and drawings - I'm throwing them up onto github as I go.

https://github.com/bnepethomas/bne-arduino-flight-simulator-interfaces

Day 0

attachment.php?attachmentid=217215&d=1568518410

attachment.php?attachmentid=217216&d=1568518503

IMG_2345_Compressed.thumb.jpg.7fad2ccac32c5d2b4e2c4f190e40eb5c.jpg

IMG_2347_Compressed.thumb.jpg.1b34d55c7689c12574fbf2ea93819dd4.jpg

Edited by bnepethomas

I'd built out some indicators for other pits - been a 'learning' experience.

The first set was based off the NATOPS pictures but managed to get the scale terribly wrong. Doh!

Then got the scale right - and was pretty happy with them

And then saw a set that looked to have come from the real thing. The reverse engraving with orange filters sitting behind really bring it to life

attachment.php?attachmentid=217217&d=1568518863

attachment.php?attachmentid=217218&d=1568518960

attachment.php?attachmentid=217219&d=1568519089

IMG_2350_Compressed.thumb.jpg.dc665fca5db70f4b05b28b07e642b661.jpg

IMG_2351_Compressed.thumb.jpg.b10dddddf98dbfc398e2173f70f97de2.jpg

IMG_2352_Compressed.thumb.jpg.1dbb8a2d5cf42464db90c4b6e9cf6acf.jpg

Edited by bnepethomas

This is a great start! Your caution panel looks very tidy. I assume you had the PCB made?

Subscribed.

Yes siree. Just recently started using kicad (free and multi-platform) - slight learning curve - but everything you need to know is out there.

Using pcbgogo for PCB manufacturing - if you keep your board below 100mm*100mm its $5 for 5 (or 10).. with a number of choices for shipping. Nice quick turnaround as well.

https://www.pcbgogo.com/pcb-board-quote.html

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the link, I've been looking for place to make my slave module. :thumbup:

Yes siree. Just recently started using kicad (free and multi-platform) - slight learning curve - but everything you need to know is out there.

Using pcbgogo for PCB manufacturing - if you keep your board below 100mm*100mm its $5 for 5 (or 10).. with a number of choices for shipping. Nice quick turnaround as well.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers

Peter

How does this work?

If I wanted them to make up those RS232 boards to daisy chain Nano's for DCS Bios, would they get the parts and build the boards and ship them if I designed them and listed the components? or does it not work like that?

They do offer full assembly as a service - I haven't tried that myself - it's a little more expensive - but to be honest not crazy expensive. Obviously they'd charge for parts and then charge (judging by the adds) USD$50 for up to 20 PCBs - not not a bad deal.

I've just had the PCB itself manufactured, and then scored the components and assembled myself.

How does this work?

If I wanted them to make up those RS232 boards to daisy chain Nano's for DCS Bios, would they get the parts and build the boards and ship them if I designed them and listed the components? or does it not work like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Been working out how to get 5V reliably to Arduinos and associated shields around the pit. Had some battles getting reliable enough powered USB hubs, and didn't need USB as such, as all communications done over Ethernet. Found these little puppies that take 12V-24V and output a pretty solid 5V on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Charger-Module-6-24V-12V-24V-to-5V-3A-CAR-DC-DC-Buck-Step-Down-Converter/262685794497

Only challenge was how to mount given the little pcb had not mounting holes as such.

attachment.php?attachmentid=218069

Given the amazing work Blue73 had done with the Jettison switch - thought it was time extend out the training wheels and learn to drive Fusion360. Bingo one mounting bracket

attachment.php?attachmentid=218067

And assembled (much better that the double sided tape I'd used earlier :))

attachment.php?attachmentid=218068

IMG_2379.thumb.jpg.48086cabbc37c6cc9f65f84f86b44166.jpg

IMG_2380.thumb.jpg.9ad23041a782bc6c99d6b28c433fe185.jpg

IMG_2378.thumb.jpg.06babe9c4935102bdb02bb67ad02505d.jpg

Edited by bnepethomas

• 6 months later...

A long time between drinks - but being locked up at home has the project moving again.

First step was sorting out how to mount the panels.

So remove the cardboard panels from the tub

IMG-2797-2.jpg

Take a bunch of measurements and then cut out acrylic for the 'base' panel, and the cut out spots for individual panels. I'm cheating - so just lasering the mounting holes, and the taping them for 4mm screws. The right hand side is awaiting the same treatment.

IMG-2806-3.jpg

The individual panels are 3 layers of 3mm acrylic, the same construction used in the A10 put.

Great work

Is it a Dogfight Boss Cockpit that your building?

Stang out

A long time between drinks - but being locked up at home has the project moving again.

First step was sorting out how to mount the panels.

So remove the cardboard panels from the tub

IMG-2797-2.jpg

Take a bunch of measurements and then cut out acrylic for the 'base' panel, and the cut out spots for individual panels. I'm cheating - so just lasering the mounting holes, and the taping them for 4mm screws. The right hand side is awaiting the same treatment.

IMG-2806-3.jpg

The individual panels are 3 layers of 3mm acrylic, the same construction used in the A10 put.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the front panels, the Open Hornet plans and stls make it easy. Fired the Prusa up a couple of weeks ago and set it to work.

IMG-2853.jpg

Then over the weekend it was time to cut out a few pieces and MDF and throw things together. About now would have been a great time to have a CNC :)

IMG-2865-2.jpg

IMG-2869.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Very impressive!

Can you give a bit more detail - I assume that DCS BIOS is still the source of the data? Is the Ethernet in lieu of RS485?

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les

I actually started with OverPros HID based approach, but due to issues in other pits with USB devices randomly disappearing decided to do something completely different. Now input Arduinos send changes to a Raspberry Pi which in turn uses API interfaces into Sims. I've documented the journey and design approaches here (HW & SW)_

https://github.com/bnepethomas/bne-arduino-flight-simulator-interfaces/blob/master/Python%20HW%20Link/Python%20HW%20Link%20-%20Design.odt

Edited by bnepethomas

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...