Range on the radar special modes

Sybreed

Hi guys,

tried the M-2000 yesterday for the first time since the latest updates, and was wondering if anything was changed about how the radar special modes work?

I remember being able to lock targets up to 10 nm or more with these modes if I could spot the dot in the sky, but now, they never pick anything up before 5nm, making these less useful if you want to snapshot a 530. Were these modes "nerfed" ?

Also, it seems that you can't select the Magic missile on the store selection panel anymore, only the 530 can be selected. Sure there's the weapon quick select thing that you can use, but still, was this intended as well?

Thank you.

I remember being able to lock targets up to 10 nm or more with these modes if I could spot the dot in the sky, but now, they never pick anything up before 5nm, making these less useful if you want to snapshot a 530. Were these modes "nerfed" ?

Not that I'm aware of.

Also, it seems that you can't select the Magic missile on the store selection panel anymore, only the 530 can be selected. Sure there's the weapon quick select thing that you can use, but still, was this intended as well?

It's intended, the previous PCA behaviour was incorrect.

The "Magic" option on the Armament Panel is used to activate the IR seeker separately to search for IR targets i.e. with the radar silent.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

From my experience recently, radar performance seems like hit and miss. I almost blind in the Mirage. Its inconsistency makes it hard to make a report. For example, I could not detect again a target that I had previosly soft lock (in tws) right in front of me untill it was too late. And the new symbol quite confusing.

Regarding the magic, RB made some changes how it works to be more realistic. There's a sticky post about it. You have to select it via hotas. Pressing mag on PCA will make it enter search mode and not selecting to activate the magic.

Good luck.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I don't know if it's us doing things wrong or that the radar is just broken.

I'm completely blind. I've tried everything, from messing with the antena elevation, to range, to pointing nose up or down.

Sometimes it won't track a plane I'm seeing straight to my face. The SVI special mode won't lock until under 5nm. I got completely pwnd by F18s that I knew where there, altitude and range, and yet the radar couldn't see them. In magic boresight mode I put a Mig 29 into the circle and it only ever locked at 2nm. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've noticed it tracks better if you're at the exact same altitude as the bogey.

We need frickin' tutorials !

I'm having the same issues. I've tried varying PRF, vertical scan, narrow horizontal scan, boresight, all the other CMD modes, nothing seems to work. I literally can't see anything on the radar over about 5-6nm away. It didn't use to be like this. It's too bad as I really enjoyed the Mirage but until, or if, something changes I'll move on to other modules.

Guys, as i reported on a different topic ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4040263&postcount=8 ) the radar has huge bugs.

From my experience recently, radar performance seems like hit and miss. I almost blind in the Mirage. Its inconsistency makes it hard to make a report. For example, I could not detect again a target that I had previosly soft lock (in tws) right in front of me untill it was too late.

To fix this you have to turn STANDBY and ON the Radar to reset the BUG.

The ranging on special modes remains broken, no way to obtain a lock on a target in optimal condition at the max specified range. (a big fast su27 hot up in the sky with no cluttering) I wud expect to acquire it at 20nm on SVI and 10nm on Boresight.

The theory is: as the radar is able to catch and lock a contact at 25nm on normal scan>lock mode, i assume it see the contact on special modes as well, as you have an hidden scan mode that automatically locks a contact whenever it finds one.

So there is no reason to limitate the range like that, special modes are just different radar pattern movements, but its the same radar with the same emission you have when you acquire a PIC lockable target on tws.

I'd like to know if it's been acknowledged that the radar is bugged, or if it's just us not knowing how to use it properly.

I've had contacts jumping up and down every two seconds without being able to lock them. I've used antena elevation to scan at certain alttitudes I knew contacts were without luck, while they picked me up. So far I've only been able to lock properly at or below 20nm, when it's almost too late against a fox 3.

Yep, the radar is under overhaul and unfortunately some functions were broken.

It isn’t supposed to stay like that and we’re waiting for next update for correction.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Next OB update coming on wednesday, but elwood said it's so much time between updates he could work on New features for the radar. Two weeks ago he said radar has been fixed internally, but they didn't release a hotfix. So in three weeks between updates there's a chance we'd receive a fixed radar, but broken again by New features, since they are obviously struggling with testing stuff properly before releasing :) so get ready for the worst

Edited by ZHeN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Next OB update coming on wednesday, but elwood said it's so much time between updates he could work on New features for the radar. Two weeks ago he said radar has been fixed internally, but they didn't release a hotfix. So in three weeks between updates there's a chance we'd receive a fixed radar, but broken again by New features, since they are obviously struggling with testing stuff properly before releasing :) so get ready for the worst
New feature? Now thats interesting. Where can I read about this? Link?

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Guys, as i reported on a different topic ( https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4040263&postcount=8 ) the radar has huge bugs.

The theory is: as the radar is able to catch and lock a contact at 25nm on normal scan>lock mode, i assume it see the contact on special modes as well, as you have an hidden scan mode that automatically locks a contact whenever it finds one.

So there is no reason to limitate the range like that, special modes are just different radar pattern movements, but its the same radar with the same emission you have when you acquire a PIC lockable target on tws.

I dont know how it is in the M2000, but this statement is not necesarily true as many western fighters have a range gate in close combat modes that intentionally disregard targets outside of the predefined distance (e.g. 10 mn). And I see the logic behind this, imagine you want to lock a target in front of you that you see with your naked eye and you end up locking a big airliner that is 80 mn behind that target.