Would you PAY the People Working on the Ground Texture Mods?

Boneski

Would you PAY the People Working on the Ground Texture Mods?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you PAY the People Working on the Ground Texture Mods?

• HELL YEAH, I'M NO FREE LOADING TRICK! I'M RICH B!TCH
    • HELL NO, FREE IS BETTER FOR ME!

It's a simple question...

Q1:

Should the Folks that are working on the Ground Texture Mods Get Paid???

Not by ED but by the hundreds of End Users that will download this Mod?

Keep in mind this question assumes that offering their work for a fee does

not break the End User License…

Q2:

Should they submit their work to ED and have ED charge and give a good potion of the profits to the Mod creators?

Q4:

Would you Pay? Would you Support this amazing work?

Q5:

Or should it just be free?

"Simple appreciation can be rewarded with words like, thank you.

True Appreciation of Effort is rewarded with much more" -Bones 2007.11.10

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

I like to think that modders (at least in this community) do it for the love of the work and the love of the sim. If they did decide they wanted to be paid, they should realize that the level of not only the product, but the after-purchase support would have to match its status as payware. That in and of itself could make it more trouble than it's worth. And I would definitely not want ED to make one cent off of their work.

Me personally? I'm a pretty cheap bastage. The mod would have to really blow me away for me to feel like it brought enough value to an already great sim for me to shell out money for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it is payware...only a few dozen people will but it (i'm thinking anyway) because its payware and it is great stuff but other people just wont want to spend money on a little more eye candy... if it was free (IMO) more people. ALOT more people would download it and it would be thoroughly enjoyed by all :P

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

FSX is a great example of where payware works to help create higher quality content.

..and might I add the driving force behind the longevity of these products.

I for one would pay for Mods if they were offered as payware - I know first hand the amount of time and work invested to bring these creations to the public.

Money or not, we (the mod creators) would still do what we love regardless..

Would I buy a ground texture mod ?

'Is there's sufficient new content to warrant paying the price asked' would be the first test I'd put on it.

Bearing in mind how much the whole of FC cost - what's a change to an airfield's textures worth ? Or a change to the shaders ? Or these things together ?

If I buy such a mod & it makes LO/FC(/BS eventually) unstable, do I get my money back ?

Other questions :

Do people selling mods have a responsibility to make them backwards compatible with other people's mods (for example someone's airfield mod undoes someone else's widely used shader mod).

If they build on existing work, do the original modders get royalties ?

If they cause problems with the sim, does the community have comeback (liability limited to the extent allowed under law), or just no hope of ever getting disputes resolved?

Recognising that the burden of modding falls to a relatively few, I think as a community relations & negotiations over mods that may have 'unexpected results' or simply don't appear to do what they were intended to do (how many fps mods are there? & how many end up uninstalled because they either have no effect or just make the world too damn ugly) are all much simpler if the mods are seen as an act of generosity to the community that the user tries at their own peril.

That said - if someone has a mod that is significant enough to make it worth spending money on, has been fully tested, will be supported & can be sold through a secure method (if it's done in a business like manner) then, depending on how it looks & what I read about it - maybe I'd buy it.

PS:

I do agree though that it's a shame that there is no way to recognise the effort of modders - the Ground Texture Mod & the A-10 Mod etc etc...

Maybe they need another rank & rep sysem - have 'Awarded Grand Hero of the Lockon Modding Community' & a little medal by their names :-)

• Like 1

Cheers.

As others have mentioned, it works in MSFS and I have paid in the past for such add ons.

Should we pay... I say no. The mods that I'm working on, I do so because I love the game, and enjoy working with people like Rocky and Yeniceri to improve something for the fun of it.

Look at the downsides... Many of the mods for MSFS cost more individually than I paid for Lock On and FC...!

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

PS:

I do agree though that it's a shame that there is no way to recognise the effort of modders - the Ground Texture Mod & the A-10 Mod etc etc...

A website with a "donate" button could do. If people would like to do some more than press the "rep inbound" button, which in case of modders cannot be pressed frequently enough, they could send in few $$$ if they want to support the mod somehow..

Guest Dr. Shocker
A website with a "donate" button could do. If people would like to do some more than press the "rep inbound" button, which in case of modders cannot be pressed frequently enough, they could send in few $$$ if they want to support the mod somehow..

I agree. Not a fan of the payware.

Everyone has brought up some good points here. I understand that a lot of time and effort go into mods, and there is a line somewhere that decides whether a mod is "good" enough to be considered paying for. Right now there are some GREAT mods available to the community. I think what makes these mods so great is the fact that they are made by Lock On players for Lock On Players. When mods start to be developed with a profit in mind I think that the overall vision of why we all make mods starts to diminish. I really like what Pigpen stated about most mods being replacements and not actual add ons. However it seems that advances are being made that make addons truly add objects to the game.

My personal opinion.... No, I would not pay for addons created by the community. I play FSX and I have never paid for any of the add-ons available for that game, and I don't feel like I'm missing out on that much.

I totally agree. 1$ (in example) is not the same cost for everyone in different countries. Donate will do better. Ppl could decide how much they are able to pay. Other thing. If it won't be free addon I believe we will find this on emule (i.e.) in the future :D

It's a simple question...

Q1:

Should the Folks that are working on the Ground Texture Mods Get Paid???

Not by ED but by the hundreds of End Users that will download this Mod?

Keep in mind this question assumes that offering their work for a fee does not break the End User License…

Q2:

Should they submit their work to ED and have ED charge and give a good potion of the profits to the Mod creators?

Q4:

Would you Pay? Would you Support this amazing work?

Q5:

Or should it just be free?

Hi Boneski :)

I'm afraid, that for the modders :" offering their work for a fee does break the End User License…"

Just have a look there at the thread : According to EULA it is Illegal to place Mods for LOMAC on Websites?

Using a "donate" button is tolerated by ED, selling a product is something different...

In all the cases, all the guys I heard of, that put a "donate" function on their website, even for mods that were really successfull, never made enough money to buy more than a couple of drinks for them and their friends in a pub... :) The "donate" option is a nice way to thank people that did something you really appreciate, but is often disappointing as it is an impossible battle against human selfishness... :)

And personnaly, modding for me is about a community sharing a hobby, helping each other and trying to help to build a better game... Not about making money... :D I'm spending my life in a really material world and job all day long, I like the idea of doing something different of my free time... :)

Cheers

Hub.

• Like 2

-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Anyone here who is self-employed will know that there is vast difference in producing something for a hobby or for the love of it, and producing something for commercial gain. The standards have to be far better, and what about support for that product - is it compatible with all versions of LO? Will there be email support for problems installing? It would soon become a headache, and may deter anyone from trying again.

The ground pounder texture mod is first class work, as far as we have seen.. and the winter textures just looks fantastic. Can't wait to fly the Ka50 over that on a misty morning.

Why stop with the Ground pounder texture mod, .. Ironhand would be able to retire! with what is due to him.

I pop my head in to the forums now and again, and I am encouraged by the friendly, congenial atmosphere. Make some of it commercial and I fear that may be lost.

Don't spoil it.

DancinBear

• Like 1

I say yes but the comunity would not pay it!!!

ED would pay or contract this modelers.

There is a long track in the life of simulator about all when the comunnity always make supplies for all the aspects of the game.

Aircraft: there is millions and millions of usaries in the world creating new models, make expasion, skin, etc!!! (the skin templates from Su-25, the best skin for LOMAC, was creating for the comunity) Remenber Star ´80 for Su-25 LOMAC!!!

Textures: for flame, explosion, lights, etc, etc!!!!

Mods: is amaizing the great lot of mods about all in this game, all are creates for the comunity.

The world famous FPS: Frame Per Seconds. This simple operation make happy to all the comunity (this problem was fixed for a player)

About the Terrain Mod:

The originals terrain textures look very good for me.

I don´t dowload this pacth for this reason and because i don´t have the Flaming Cliff!!! hehehe

Thanks for the question!!!

I still use the originals, so I dont have an option on this poll to vote for. But then again thats also due to the fact I havent played LOMAC for more than 1 month now.

Take care.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Money brings problems.

I wouldn't buy-use such a mod. I hate when people see "possibilities for some dosh" in gaming comunities. Offcourse many modders would be bent by a nice share.

I don't play MSFS... so I don't know how succesfull is this model there but, I know that it corrupts.

Next... we would pay for advertising the package... the gold one... doh.

P.S. I have no problem with paying the game... or another one. They are intended to be payware.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I never pay for Mod or Skin .....

Je poursuis en français car je sais pas dire ce que je veux en Anglais ;)

Pour moi un hobby doit reste un hobby, et ne doit pas tourné en machine a faire de l'argent, contribue de temps en temps via Paypal ne me derange pas en remerciement uniquement.....

Pourquoi pas si on poursuis la logique demandé qu'on paye, pour un conseil ou une aide demande sur les forum ???? :D:music_whistling:

Desolé mais je trouve detestable de faire de l'argent sur "le dos" d'un simu ....

Dans le cas d'un simu ouvert c'est encore autre chose quoique fondamentalement je sois contre aussi (Falcon par exemple)

:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

History of the Black Shark 1, 2

Le sort du Requin Noir: 1, 2, 3.

You really need to appreciate appreciation more. That's the kind of remark a child would make, if some one says thanks and shows no reward it does not mean they don't truly appreciate it.

A reward is not a required bi-product of appreciation.

Freeware... Because we're kind of a specific community, aren't we;) Not just - pay/use etc. But flying... Not even flying. As a paralegal, I can say , that in this case the GM developers first should pay ED for the possibility of making such mods:)