Is there an option for auto-trim or "trim to center"?

Larkis

First, i dont have problems with manual trim. Im just curious.

The F18 has a lot automatic functions in there fly-by-wire system inklusive t/o trim for example.

But why it dont have the ability to autotrim itself? The plane knows when it starts to roll (for example after dropping a bomb), why it cant controll trim and correct it until rolling stops? Maybe like the T/O Trim button. Press the button and wait until the plane trim itself to a stable level flight without pitch and rolling? :joystick:

Autopilot heading hold may help it a bit but as has been discussed on a separate thread the charlie hornet FCS will not compensate for asymmetrical loads.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Amd Fx 8350 4.3 GHz - MSi Gtx 1060 6gb - 16gb DDR3

A-10C - AV8B - F-5E - Mig-21 - FC3 - CA - UH-1H - Black Shark - AJ3-37 - M-2000C - F-16C Viper - F-86F - Spitfire - Fw-190 - F/A-18C - F-14 - Normandy - NTTR - Persian Gulf

Why fret over a few clicks of roll trim? It's easy.

As i said. I dont have a problem with trimming the plane. I was just curious, cause it feels so simple to my. :music_whistling:

while (roll >= +1 && stick-rollaxis == 0) {

trimm -1

}

while (roll <= -1 && stick-rollaxis == 0) {

trimm +1

}

:lol:

As i said. I dont have a problem with trimming the plane. I was just curious, cause it feels so simple to my. :music_whistling:

trimm -1

}

trimm +1

}

I'm guessing you haven't studied control theory?

It should work, as long as it only trims while your stick is centered and there isn't any significant sideslip or alpha. It's exactly what the pilot does; set a neutral attitude and trim until the roll (or lateral stick pressure) stops

Edit: ok, technically that code would just max your trim all the way to one side and freeze the game (it can never complete because it never gets to sample current roll rate a second time). Instead the trim adjustments would need to be spread out over many cycles, allowing time for the rolling to settle down after each adjustment.

Edited by Preendog

Just...

There's also an auto-trim option in the game settings, I've never tested it out before though. It won't be realistic to the Hornet, but it should be what you're looking for.

... it's been discussed already that this is meant as a testbed for MAC and not meant for Hornet after people reported it does not work well. I never tried that myself though.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

trimm -1

}

trimm +1

}

It might SEEM simple, and assuming that you were always going to drop the bomb and keep flying straight and level it probably could be done. Why it's not is probably because you could well be cranking over after release and in that case how does the plane know where you want it trimmed to or when to start trimming? It could "trim" to a theoretical point based on the weight of whatever ordinance you've released, but then wind, fuel etc. might mean it needs to be different. So while might seem simple at first blush, lots of other complications in reality.

It's not elegant but it would do it. I'd bind it to a key to invoke autotrim when desired. Plus, it's simple enough you could probably do it as a script. No clue, but maybe DCS let's you export FCS data and you could have your own program running in the background to click the trim keys for you.

I'm guessing you haven't studied control theory?

Nope. :) just guessing The F18 is very good in stabilize the plane rhat a autotrim would be the next logical step for me.

As i said i dont want it implemented. Its just a, theoretical discussion.

Don't want to hijack this thread, but in connection with this subject and just for verification, am I correct that the T/O trim push button resets all previously done manual trims?

E.g.:

1. I trim out after dropping a bomb from the left wing to counter the roll effect
  2. Then I drop the same bomb from the right wing

Can I now press the T/O trim button to remove all previous trim? Or doesn't it work that way?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Don't want to hijack this thread, but in connection with this subject and just for verification, am I correct that the T/O trim push button resets all previously done manual trims?

E.g.:

1. I trim out after dropping a bomb from the left wing to counter the roll effect
  2. Then I drop the same bomb from the right wing

Can I now press the T/O trim button to remove all previous trim? Or doesn't it work that way?

I dont know the definitive answer to this, but i think i know how to get this information.

bring up your FCS page on the ddi.

there you have 5 Rows LEF/TEF/AIL/RUD/STAB

the numbers on the side are the trim numbers. you should be able to monitor these numbers and get your answer.

SFMBE