Option for Maverick Boresighting

kraszus

+1 for optional boresight

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:07 AM, Florence201 said:

If you want a game, play BMS. 
MiG you want an attempt at realism, stick with DCS 

Either you haven't played bms or you're incredibly biased. The state of the bms viper, in terms of flight model realism and overall completeness, is pretty far ahead of dcs. Although once the dcs viper is out of early access that gap will definitely be closed.

Better graphics =/= realism

Optional boresight seems like a no brainier. Personally I would keep boresighting on, but play the game how you want to play.

Edited by coolneko
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

So, making Maverick boresighting optional... what's next to be made optional arguing "but X is optional too" and how long is that "optional realism" tab going to be in the options menu?

I personally don't like waiting for alignment in the F-16, lining up for catapult on a carrier is boring too, why is navigational fixes on the Viggen mandatory i don't like it, vortex ring state kills my helicopter experience make that optional too and why the hell is there no auto-taxi function because wow taxi is so boring, why is it mandatory, even better i want a "always force airstart" option? I actually don't like anything "simulator" in a simulator so pretty please make it all optional. Did i mention optional auto-lock on targets? Finding targets and moving that Maverick cursor on them is so tenacious, so make it optional please. I just want to press the "fire" button, everything else is just asking too much.

😂😂

4 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

So, making Maverick boresighting optional... 

All that what-aboutism aside. Yes, unironically add an option for all the points you bought up. 

How someone plays a game is up to that person, that's why it's an 'option'. There's no reason to mock them for their preference.

A more constructive argument would be, how much development time and resources would it take to implement those options? 

• Like 1

The point of an option is that YOU get to draw the line for how YOU want to play. Who cares how someone else plays the game? 

I don't understand the 'consequences' you're talking about. Again, it would be implemented as an option so what consequences would you have to adhere too?

The point of an option is that YOU get to draw the line for how YOU want to play. Who cares how someone else plays the game? 

I don't understand the 'consequences' you're talking about. Again, it would be implemented as an option so what consequences would you have to adhere too?

Can they add an option to make my plane auto BVR because i dont wanna do it myself or learn it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

Can they add an option to make my plane auto BVR because i dont wanna do it myself or learn it myself?

You already have magic iff, no simulation of a jammed environment, and omniscient datalink, so you're closer to that than you think. 😉

If a person never wants to learn how to properly execute 'x' function with the jet, then let them. Maybe they'll get bored and want to learn the correct procedures.

Being an edgy gatekeeper only hurts the hobby. It's niche, but if ED makes it accessable with varying 'difficulty' options it only means more money for them. Which is better for everyone.

You already have magic iff, no simulation of a jammed environment, and omniscient datalink, so you're closer to that than you think.

If a person never wants to learn how to properly execute 'x' function with the jet, then let them. Maybe they'll get bored and want to learn the correct procedures.

Being an edgy gatekeeper only hurts the hobby. It's niche, but if ED makes it accessable with varying 'difficulty' options it only means more money for them. Which is better for everyone.

If your not willing to learn something and want things to be removed so you dont have to learn how to do it maybe dcs isnt the right game for you

• Thanks 5

While I'm all for options, this "easy street" attitude is very telling and appalling. There seems to be a culture of "I want it all, and I want it easy" creeping into DCS. I've watched users ask for things that are not realistic at all, yet when told by the Dev and/or SME that it cannot or will not be done, they still ask!

There are at least 2-3 different threads for easy AAR. There is a plethora of threads asking for weapons and systems that are just outlandish. The bothersome part about that is that the OP usually doesn't do their homework before asking for said weapon that they saw in a picture! I kid you not, there is a thread where someone asked for autopilot on a WWII aircraft! It is becoming clear that some want to blur the lines. You go from JV to Varsity, not the other way around, unless you suck!

History lesson: The more you water down a pure product, one day it will not be recognizable to the original. Let's keep DCS pure, leave that "other" sim stuff over there!

The uniqueness and appeal about DCS is what drew most of us here. You don't move to Texas and still act like you're in California. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

8 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

While I'm all for options, this "easy street" attitude is very telling and appalling. There seems to be a culture of "I want it all, and I want it easy" creeping into DCS. I've watched users ask for things that are not realistic at all, yet when told by the Dev and/or SME that it cannot or will not be done, they still ask!

There are at least 2-3 different threads for easy AAR. There is a plethora of threads asking for weapons and systems that are just outlandish. The bothersome part about that is that the OP usually doesn't do their homework before asking for said weapon that they saw in a picture! I kid you not, there is a thread where someone asked for autopilot on a WWII aircraft! It is becoming clear that some want to blur the lines. You go from JV to Varsity, not the other way around, unless you suck!

History lesson: The more you water down a pure product, one day it will not be recognizable to the original. Let's keep DCS pure, leave that "other" sim stuff over there!

The uniqueness and appeal about DCS is what drew most of us here. You don't move to Texas and still act like you're in California. 

The realism of dcs is what got me hooked as well, I'm right there with ya. But if you think that anybody who wants an authentic as possible experience will be affected in any way, by any easy street options, you're just wrong. 

You can turn them off if you don't want them.

Keeping dcs 'pure' seems like an argument that has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the playerbase.

You dont have a say in who can and can't play the game.

Let people play how they want. If ED decides to make an 'easy mode' aar option, great. I won't ever use it, and I won't really worry about who does.

The realism of dcs is what got me hooked as well, I'm right there with ya. But if you think that anybody who wants an authentic as possible experience will be affected in any way, by any easy street options, you're just wrong. 

Keeping dcs 'pure' seems like an argument that has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the playerbase.

Let people play how they want. If ED decides to make an 'easy mode' aar option, great. I won't ever use it, and I won't really worry about who does.

It ruins the spirit of a simulator, if call of duty added aimbot in the game because someone couldnt aim that would be stupid, just like how dcs adding/removing features based on if someone can or cant do something is also silly.

• Like 1

If call of duty added an aimbot option that you could use in single player, who cares? 

I think the thing you're missing is that any of the features could be removed via option. It's an option. So is you want to play singleplayer in super easy mode. Go for it. Multiplayer would be different, I honestly don't think those options would be allowed on most servers, but that's not the point of the argument.

Allowing people to choose how they play doesn't affect the 'spirit of the simulator' (that's pretty subjective btw). There's already an invulnerable option, and an infinite ammo option, and options for labels.

Edited by coolneko

4 hours ago, coolneko said:

You are correct. No one will be affected if ED goes Arcade mode on us and give in. Users are free to use whatever they choose. But I still stand by my argument. Not sure where you got that I want a say in who plays or how. This is purely a discussion my friend. Please tell me that you do understand purity! 

This is akin to new players showing up on  NFL gameday and they just got plucked from the B squad! And then asking for the defensive line on the other side not to go so hard on them (special favors). Some should stop asking for ED to bend because they (the user) are not up to snuf to complete the task! And this is a simulation! I'd hate to see some of these guys handle a situation in real life! They came to DCS for a reason. Otherwise, they could have stayed with the Utopian dreams squad that has a hundred missiles in that other sim. Get in there and cowboy or cowgirl up! I look at DCS as Varsity, everything else is JV.

If you want easy air combat and action and stuff, they invented it already: Its called Ace Combat.

If you want a simulation, DCS is perfect. But it is a SIM, not an action game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

I don't think boresighting the Mavericks is a huge deal in and of itself. However, the F-16 is already in pretty rough shape in the air to ground front. Adding having to boresight the mavericks to everything else makes there ordeal kind of meh. I just use the 16 for air to air for now until air to ground becomes a little more complete. No big deal.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, Jackjack171 said:

You are correct. No one will be affected if ED goes Arcade mode on us and give in. Users are free to use whatever they choose. But I still stand by my argument. Not sure where you got that I want a say in who plays or how. This is purely a discussion my friend. Please tell me that you do understand purity! 

This is akin to new players showing up on  NFL gameday and they just got plucked from the B squad! And then asking for the defensive line on the other side not to go so hard on them (special favors). Some should stop asking for ED to bend because they (the user) are not up to snuf to complete the task! And this is a simulation! I'd hate to see some of these guys handle a situation in real life! They came to DCS for a reason. Otherwise, they could have stayed with the Utopian dreams squad that has a hundred missiles in that other sim. Get in there and cowboy or cowgirl up! I look at DCS as Varsity, everything else is JV.

It seems that for you, learning the systems of an aircraft down to the finest detail, and trying to master them is what keeps bringing you back to DCS. I'm exactly the same, that's why I play DCS, because its the only game that I've found that has this kind of in-depth simulation. The thing is, if we could bring more people into DCS that maybe are intimidated or otherwise uninterested in the fine details, but for all intents and purposes, want to fly in a beautiful simulator, we should. 

Just because we like to take DCS to the furthest it can go doesn't mean that every person that wishes to play has to also play the same way we do. If there are options, like auto boresighting mavricks, or anything else that could make the game more accessible, I don't see why we should be against it. More players means more money for ED, which hopefully means more resources for them to spend on their development staff to make DCS a better game.

The coolest thing to me, about having the entry to DCS be easier, is that the people who do play the 'easy way' may eventually want to truly operate the aircraft and be willing to learn, which brings more people into an already niche hobby.

16 hours ago, Viking 1-1 said:

If you want easy air combat and action and stuff, they invented it already: Its called Ace Combat.

If you want a simulation, DCS is perfect. But it is a SIM, not an action game.

DCS is a game. Its a pretty accurate combat flight simulator, but its still a game. 

2 hours ago, coolneko said:

DCS is a game. Its a pretty accurate combat flight simulator, but its still a game. 

Well, so is football bro! UFC fighting is JUST a competition! You still have to work up to it all! I've got a weight lifting competition coming. By your logic, I should just walk in and the magic happens. Negative! There are levels to anything you do in life, DCS is no different! It may be just a computer simulation, but that is just a sad attitude to take and say, "let's make it appeal to the lowest person so that everyone can play"! They should want to work up to it if it means that much to them! 

When these phantom people we are talking about get tired of Ace Combat or whatever it is that they do, they are always welcome here. And they will come! But if they are not ready for DCS, then (IMO) they should stay over there and stop asking for short cuts! 

And ED is never short of new users, the forums reflect that!

Perhaps there should be more training missions. Form flying and basic airmanship is what most seem to need vice an easy way to get into the basket. Learn to navigate by dead reckoning in WWII planes in lieu of an autopilot! More lessons, less aids (cheats)!

I hear what you are saying and I empathize with you but please, let's stop dumbing more things down in this world (real and simulated) just because some people are not ready for said ventures!

• Like 2

If people find boresighting not their cup of tea, then just shoot them in VIS mode or without handoff from TGP or dont use them at all 

3 options already ingame

Problem solved

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

On 2/19/2021 at 6:11 PM, Falconeer said:

If people find boresighting not their cup of tea, then just shoot them in VIS mode or without handoff from TGP or dont use them at all 

3 options already ingame

Problem solved

And can use it in PRE mode also. The only trade off is the missile seeker isn't pointed at the same spot as the TGP, as well as if you use the radar (GM or GMT modes), is in the nearby area and you have to slew it and  lock it. The Boresighting is a process to get the most of the TGP, more zoom capability and image definition, and the availability of cage the missile through the TGP. That's a useful feature, and on top of that could be able to ripple the missiles on two pickle presses as soon as you are inside missile range, and the lock is achieved.

Edited by MROK73

15 hours ago, MROK73 said:

And can use it in PRE mode also. The only trade off is the missile seeker isn't pointed at the same spot as the TGP, as well as if you use the radar (GM or GMT modes), is in the nearby area and you have to slew it and  lock it. The Boresighting is a process to get the most of the TGP, more zoom capability and image definition, and the availability of cage the missile through the TGP. That's a useful feature, and on top of that could be able to ripple the missiles on two pickle presses as soon as you are inside missile range, and the lock is achieved.

I know what boresighting is and how Mavericks work *with* the TGP and i personally dont have any problems with it. Just giving some options to those who have 😉

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

Something that would help, is boresight targets akin used for the AH-64 outfront boresight as a static item. These targets can than be placed wherever and used to expedite the procedure. The boresight itself can be done quite fast, it's the search for a good target to boresight from that is the problem.

Edited by Sinclair_76

On 2/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, coolneko said:

Ahem. This is straight from DCS' product description, on the DCS main website, that everyone will see when they search for DCS.

...Our dream is to offer the most authentic and realistic simulation of military aircraft, tanks, ground vehicles and ships possible...

As for the F-16 in particular? Here's what Wags has to say:

If you come to DCS, a platform that is intended to be "as realistic as possible", to fly an aircraft that's supposed to be very authentic for this particular aircraft, but then expect something else or take issue with it being so, then you might be in the wrong place.

Y'know, it's kinda like willingly walking into a forest, and then complaining that there were lots of trees...

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.